Hello! So I am trying to fix up this old Les Paul copy that's missing a pot and an output jack. I am not familiar with the wiring on LPs so I was hoping somebody here could help me out.
Here's a picture of the wiring right now.

Any help is appreciated!
- Xavier
If the previous post doesnt help.
Im sure this will have the wiring diagram you need, just fill out what switches and pots and pick up setup you got.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Apr 5, 2015,
Quote by Rocketface2112
If the previous post doesnt help.
Im sure this will have the wiring diagram you need, just fill out what switches and pots and pick up setup you got.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

I am super lost. I've looked at the diagram a bunch of times but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to solder where. Is there any chance you could tell me what to put where? For example: "solder the red wire onto the middle prong of the potentiometer." I'm pretty sure that's the only way I'll figure this out.
ok so with the red wires for example there are two conductors.

the bare unshielded wire = signal out. So it grounds anywhere on the volume pot that is metal. You don't even have to do it to the same blob of solder.

the second wire is your signal in. This is called hot lead. This wire goes to the left contact. This is the opposite of the volume pots ground which is why at 10 you get sound and 0 you don't.

other than a few hiccups this guy did a great tutorial for beginners. I don't like the way he tins the contacts but you'll learn a lot. He does vintage style wiring so if you do replace your volume pot use an A500k import one. NOT a CTS one. CTS ones are a little wide.

since the capacitor leads won't be long enough a quick trip to ebay , a guitar shop or an electroncis surplus store are in order. 0.047UF is the value you want. These are not polarized (have to be in a specific way).

here's an excellent video on how to wire a les paul. It's not perfect like there are ways he can do it better but he's got probably the best video I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWWQvDsfsU
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 5, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
ok so with the red wires for example there are two conductors.

the bare unshielded wire = signal out. So it grounds anywhere on the volume pot that is metal. You don't even have to do it to the same blob of solder.

the second wire is your signal in. This is called hot lead. This wire goes to the left contact. This is the opposite of the volume pots ground which is why at 10 you get sound and 0 you don't.

other than a few hiccups this guy did a great tutorial for beginners. I don't like the way he tins the contacts but you'll learn a lot. He does vintage style wiring so if you do replace your volume pot use an A500k import one. NOT a CTS one. CTS ones are a little wide.

since the capacitor leads won't be long enough a quick trip to ebay , a guitar shop or an electroncis surplus store are in order. 0.047UF is the value you want. These are not polarized (have to be in a specific way).

here's an excellent video on how to wire a les paul. It's not perfect like there are ways he can do it better but he's got probably the best video I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWWQvDsfsU

Well I would really prefer not to rewire the entire thing but rather just hook up the potentiometer and the output jack. Most of the wiring as you can tell in the picture is already done. Is there any way you could just tell me what to put where?
I'll see what I can do. Going by one photo this is half experience working with lots of import stuff and the other half is using a les paul diagram. Watch that video anyways you'll learn a few things off him as if I remember right he was pretty insightful. Like which part is which on an input jack.

in the mean time..
show us a photo of the wires soldered to the 3 way toggle there will be 4
just for assurance what color are the pickup wires. Red with two smaller wires inside.

Starting with basic stuff so we're all on the same page
the metal around the back of the pot is ground. Everything you solder to it even if there are 3 or 4 blobs of solder to the pot are ground. This means signal out which makes a lot more sense.

there are three contacts on the potentiometer. You can have many wires inside them depending on the schematic.
#1 - Left = hot lead - so this case your pickup / guitars tone pot
#2- middle = wiper (controls the % of volume) - this wire goes to your selector in the pickups place
#3 - right = ground (grounding this contact to the metal plate gives the signal somewhere to go if the volume is turned down. So of course 0% means all the guitars volume is gone).

So first I would tin all 3 contacts on the pot. I use 60/40 lead solder as it's easiest with rosin core if it saves you a question. Hopefully you have an extra set of hands or way to hold the pot into place. If not luckily you're working with a les paul you can get away with a few things other players don't.

*so the hot lead contact on the tone pot connect it to the hot lead on the volume
this activates the tone pot again

next make sure there is a wire going from each pot to pots ground and a wire inside the guitar is there too. The extra wire is called string ground. We only see half of it. The other half you don't see unless you really take the guitar apart.
this removes any buzz

so now.. we need pickup selection and to assure ourselves the switch works. There are 4 contacts.

the inner two are "commons" they are used unconditionally.
the one by itself is traditionally your ground. It grounds to any pot you want
the one in between two other contacts is your hot lead and goes directly to your input jacks tip (hot lead)

the outer two represent your pickups based on the selection. These two wires may still be there. But at least you know.

so now back to the volume pot
we want an A500k or B500k if you dont have one get a cheap import one off ebay to match the rest. I can spot those a mile away and they aren't horrible. Played guitars from the 80s with them.

left contact
since the tone is there now just attach the pickups hot lead
the middle is your pickup selection - to make the pickup work with the selector
the right solder to the top of the pot for volume control

and finally once you have a trail of wires going outside the guitar for ground just solder the sleeve portion and you're good to go. Remember to tap test the pickup with something magnetic like a screwdriver and the guitar amp on with distortion. Use a multimeter if you have it or just play the guitar and see.

tips
tin every wire end prior to soldering
use electric tape or heat shrink on every wire you lengthen
other than that just take your time it's a lot of reading but very few solders.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 6, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
I'll see what I can do. Going by one photo this is half experience working with lots of import stuff and the other half is using a les paul diagram. Watch that video anyways you'll learn a few things off him as if I remember right he was pretty insightful. Like which part is which on an input jack.

in the mean time..
show us a photo of the wires soldered to the 3 way toggle there will be 4
just for assurance what color are the pickup wires. Red with two smaller wires inside.

Starting with basic stuff so we're all on the same page
the metal around the back of the pot is ground. Everything you solder to it even if there are 3 or 4 blobs of solder to the pot are ground. This means signal out which makes a lot more sense.

there are three contacts on the potentiometer. You can have many wires inside them depending on the schematic.
#1 - Left = hot lead - so this case your pickup / guitars tone pot
#2- middle = wiper (controls the % of volume) - this wire goes to your selector in the pickups place
#3 - right = ground (grounding this contact to the metal plate gives the signal somewhere to go if the volume is turned down. So of course 0% means all the guitars volume is gone).

So first I would tin all 3 contacts on the pot. I use 60/40 lead solder as it's easiest with rosin core if it saves you a question. Hopefully you have an extra set of hands or way to hold the pot into place. If not luckily you're working with a les paul you can get away with a few things other players don't.

*so the hot lead contact on the tone pot connect it to the hot lead on the volume
this activates the tone pot again

next make sure there is a wire going from each pot to pots ground and a wire inside the guitar is there too. The extra wire is called string ground. We only see half of it. The other half you don't see unless you really take the guitar apart.
this removes any buzz

so now.. we need pickup selection and to assure ourselves the switch works. There are 4 contacts.

the inner two are "commons" they are used unconditionally.
the one by itself is traditionally your ground. It grounds to any pot you want
the one in between two other contacts is your hot lead and goes directly to your input jacks tip (hot lead)

the outer two represent your pickups based on the selection. These two wires may still be there. But at least you know.

so now back to the volume pot
we want an A500k or B500k if you dont have one get a cheap import one off ebay to match the rest. I can spot those a mile away and they aren't horrible. Played guitars from the 80s with them.

left contact
since the tone is there now just attach the pickups hot lead
the middle is your pickup selection - to make the pickup work with the selector
the right solder to the top of the pot for volume control

and finally once you have a trail of wires going outside the guitar for ground just solder the sleeve portion and you're good to go. Remember to tap test the pickup with something magnetic like a screwdriver and the guitar amp on with distortion. Use a multimeter if you have it or just play the guitar and see.

tips
tin every wire end prior to soldering
use electric tape or heat shrink on every wire you lengthen
other than that just take your time it's a lot of reading but very few solders.

Thank you so much!
Here is a photo of the pickup selector switch.