My ibanez has 5 way switch but with only two humbuckers

i believe the positions are:
1Bridge humbucker
2Split coil bridge
3bridge and neck split coil
4Split coil neck
5Neck humbucker

how ever i can't seem to tell a difference in tone or anything... they definitely sound different from the humbuckers, but not different within each other.
does anyone else have this?

they're stock ibanez pickups btw.
It could be a wiring problem. Try the tap test. Gently tap the pickup poles in each coil pickup in each switch position and listen for the ones that are switched in. The non-switched set in each pickup will still make some noise, but it shouldn't be as loud as the switched ones.
Quote by Tony Done
It could be a wiring problem. Try the tap test. Gently tap the pickup poles in each coil pickup in each switch position and listen for the ones that are switched in. The non-switched set in each pickup will still make some noise, but it shouldn't be as loud as the switched ones.

my pickups have pickup covers on them
would that still work?
If it's a 5 way switch with 2 humbuckers on an Ibanez then in all likelihood it's:

1 - Bridge humbucker
2 - Bridge and neck middle coils only
3 - Bridge and neck
4 - Neck in parallel
5 - Neck humbucker

That said, the only ones that really sound very similar on my RG1527 are 4 and 5, the others should sound pretty different. There could be any number of things stopping you from hearing the difference though; could be anything from your amp not being responsive enough to pick up the difference, could be your ears not being accustomed to the things you should be listening for, could be faulty wiring... kind of hard to tell really.

First thing I'd do is take the guitar to a tech and make sure that your guitar is in full working condition, then I'd look at your amp and make sure you're not running through something that's awful (no idea what you're using at the minute), then if that isn't the culprit... listen harder.

Quote by GuitarNewbee
my pickups have pickup covers on them
would that still work?

Wait a second, what guitar do you even have?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i just tried it and for some reason on the 2nd and 3rd picuk, which shouldve been the bridge split coil on the 2nd and, split coil on bridge and neck pickup on the 3rd are sorta the same from what i can hear, the 4th is correct (split coil neck) but for some reason on the 2nd pickup position im getting noise from the neck pickup as well as the bridge... anyway i can fix this? i bought the guitar new so i dont know why its like this.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If it's a 5 way switch with 2 humbuckers on an Ibanez then in all likelihood it's:

1 - Bridge humbucker
2 - Bridge and neck middle coils only
3 - Bridge and neck
4 - Neck in parallel
5 - Neck humbucker

That said, the only ones that really sound very similar on my RG1527 are 4 and 5, the others should sound pretty different. There could be any number of things stopping you from hearing the difference though; could be anything from your amp not being responsive enough to pick up the difference, could be your ears not being accustomed to the things you should be listening for, could be faulty wiring... kind of hard to tell really.

First thing I'd do is take the guitar to a tech and make sure that your guitar is in full working condition, then I'd look at your amp and make sure you're not running through something that's awful (no idea what you're using at the minute), then if that isn't the culprit... listen harder.

Wait a second, what guitar do you even have?

this seems to make more sense in terms of the wiring of the switch since i did get noise from both pickups on the 2nd position, by bridge do you mean the bridge in humbucker mode with the neck in split coil mode. and on the third is it neck and bridge as humbuckers? or with the scoil split on both? thanks, how did you find this out?
and what does neck parallel mean?
Quote by GuitarNewbee
this seems to make more sense in terms of the wiring of the switch since i did get noise from both pickups on the 2nd position, by bridge do you mean the bridge in humbucker mode with the neck in split coil mode. and on the third is it neck and bridge as humbuckers? or with the scoil split on both? thanks, how did you find this out?

2nd position is the middle coils of both pickups, splits both the neck and bridge humbucker and turns both of them on.

3rd position is both humbuckers on.

Neck parallel is something to do with the way the coils work together, to be honest I don't know exactly what it does but it does make a subtle difference to the tone of the pickup.

I know this because I own several Ibanez guitars, one of which is wired exactly this way, but the info is all freely available on Ibanez's website so it's really not hard to come by if you look in the right place.

Here's the diagram of the positions and what they mean from the site:

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
2nd position is the middle coils of both pickups, splits both the neck and bridge humbucker and turns both of them on.

3rd position is both humbuckers on.

Neck parallel is something to do with the way the coils work together, to be honest I don't know exactly what it does but it does make a subtle difference to the tone of the pickup.

I know this because I own several Ibanez guitars, one of which is wired exactly this way, but the info is all freely available on Ibanez's website so it's really not hard to come by if you look in the right place.

Here's the diagram of the positions and what they mean from the site:

thank you so much, i no longer have any more worries about my guitar being messed up... btw, if i were to wanna play a song that used a single coil strat, would do you think would be the best position? i know its personal choice and what sounds best, but i'm just curious as to what you think resembles a singe coil them most.
None of the positions really sound very much like a strat if you ask me, position 2 is about as close as you're going to get but with this wiring you'd be better off giving up and just using a sound you like rather than one that's accurate.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Is there not a coil tap mini switch? There aren't any single coils in that wiring so you won't have a single coil like sound at all.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by GuitarNewbee

The two coils are wired in parallel instead of series.
Gives a tone similar to being coil tapped, but a bit fatter 'cause there's two coils instead of one. Kind of in between coil tapped and normal humbucker mode. (It will still cancel hum though)

The 2 and 4 positions will give the closest strat like sounds.
They'll be a bit off, but should be roughly like the middle/bridge position, and something between the neck and middle/neck position.
Last edited by xnameisonx at Apr 6, 2015,
My Schecter Classic has the same 5-way switching with two humbuckers. I love it. Definitely took some close listening to really get a feel for which positions sound which way, but it's great. Tons of versatility.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6