New to the bass guitar (other instruments, though). I think these strings may be ancient (3-5 years). However, in researching strings I find that for every 2 or 3 positive reviews (thee best ever), there'll be at least one negative (throw your money down the toilet instead) review... So that doesn't work.
I am still in a practice scenario (playing along with my ipod) mostly "Classic Rock".
An older Ibanez SR400...
thanks, people.
Thanks for what?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
not that...
but, thanks in advance for the wisdom & advice I would think may be coming from people on this site... perhaps expectations are not in order.
Elixers

That is what came on all of my BTBs,

After 38 years, it is all I consider.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
If you're just practicing it's not a big deal really. Lots of people like D'addarios, but you can try earnie balls, which seem to me like a solid brand. Elixir strings are expensive and coated in a plastic type shell that retains tone longer. They have a very smooth feel, but some people don't like it. They also frey really badly after a while if you use a pick.

Just go with a cheap pack of strings and treat them well.

Also, 3-5 years isnt really ancient for bass strings. A lot of bass players will never change their strings, especially if using flat wounds. I find the only reason to change is if I need more brightness in my tone, or if the strings are too grimy or rusty.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Apr 6, 2015,
You have to take customer reviews with a grain of salt - unless they all agree one way or the other, which I have yet to see.

When choosing bass strings, the first thing you need to decide is: roundwounds or flatwounds? Flatwounds are the "traditional: string; the kind still used on upright basses. Most electric bass players do not use them very often, as they tend to sound a bit muddy. But then, that is what they are supposed to sound like. If you are in a band that does mostly covers of tunes recorded prior to 1969, or if you write tunes that are similar to them, then flatwounds are the way to go. About the only rock bassist today that prefers flatwounds is Steve Harris of Iran Maiden.

Roundwounds have more treble and more "edge" to their sound. When choosing a set of roundwound strings, your first question is: nickel-plated or stainless steel? Stainless steel strings usually sound brighter and edgier than do nickel-plated strings; at least when they are new. Rotosound introduced the first roundwound string - the Model 66 - and it is made of stainless steel. It is still the string by which others are judged. They are very, very good.

If you decide that you prefer nickel-plated strings, then I recommend GHS Boomers. I have tried many different sets of strings, and I keep coming back to the GHS Boomers. They are probably the easiest bass strings to find. Almost every music store is going to have them. If you love the classic Rotosound 66 strings, but you want nickel-plated strings, then you could go with Rotosound's Model 77 strings. They are essentially 66s with a nickel plating.

As far as I know, all of D'Addario's bass strings are stainless steel. They are also quite popular.

DR Strings are marketed as "The Handmade String," and the quality of all of their products is first rate. They tend to be more expensive than a lot of other strings, though.

Some makers offer "coated" strings. These strings are coated with some sort of synthetic material that is supposed to resist dirt and oil; thereby making them last longer. Elixir started this "coated string" craze, and a lot of people do love them. Some people feel that Cleartone coated strings are better, but they are more expensive and harder to find. DR makes coated strings in different colors, but the colored coating tends to wear off rather quickly. They do look cool, though.

Your only avenue for choosing what is best for you is to try different strings and see if you like them. It is expensive and time-consuming, but it really is the only way to be sure.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Strings are definitely one of those "whatever floats your boat" sorta things. Bass strings last forever (comparatively speaking), and when you only have to swap out when you blow one out (only happened to me once) or otherwise a couple times a year, it doesn't give much opportunity to try new stuff.

That said, I used to use GHS Bass Boomers. I had switched from Ernie Ball Bass Slinkies, and feel the tone from the Boomers was better. I had to switch to D'Addario XLs after I bought my Stiletto Elite, as GHS did not make an Extra Long Scale 5 string (or at least didn't at the time). I actually ended up liking the D'Addarios even better, and recently switched to the Chromes flatwounds. Very happy with the choice. Flatwounds play and feel super nice, I might add, and I really like the warmer tone. My bass is versatile enough that I can add brightness with the controls if I need, so I've lost no tone versatility.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.
There's a lot of variety out there but with the price of strings being what they are, I strongly recommend getting coated strings if you want roundwounds. I'm a big fan of coated DR strings.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nah, they still offer a few with nickel plated, all nickel, or copper coated steel.

Copper coated? Seriously? Copper is a non-ferrous metal. Would the pickups work with it? And copper bracelets routinely turn people's wrists green, so imagine what it would do to your fingers!

I guess there really is no end to the weirdness.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley