hi,

i've been thinking about getting into making some drum and bass/dubstep style stuff for a while now, i got inspired by Nero and Muse. i bought PT express with an avid fast track solo about a year ago to do some recording, of which i haven't got any good results, and i am having issues with PT aswell, but mostly PT express is quite unusable for making EDM as it doesn't come with the Vacuum synth or even a white noise generator!

so i have downloaded reason to try the full featured demo mode as i liked how the inbuilt Thor synth sounded, but i'm having some trouble understanding all the parameters and things that i need to do to actually get a nice fat bass sound.

so my question is, how can i learn about all the different things in a DAW that i can use to make music? there's so many filters and effects and plugins to use, and so many functions that are probably very useful, but i have no idea where to even start. i tried making a bass sound before, i didn't automate it, but as a plain bass it didn't sound too impressive.

i'm just very confused on how to use all of the included functions to their best potential, how can i learn the ropes? and how can i learn what each individual parameter does? for instance how will i know what types of oscillators to use or how to automate what filters to get a good wobble/growl bass?

i know there is a lot of experimenting when it comes to this, but i have no clue where to start.

thanks in advance
I had just typed a buttload of info, but i remembered a series that helped me a few years back. If you're into reading a lot then this(link) include most of what you would need. Note it's a 5 year article series that ended in 2004 so some stuff might have changed, but the core guidance is there plus a few neat tricks.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/articles/synthsec.htm
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
Quote by GuitarHawk99
so my question is, how can i learn about all the different things in a DAW that i can use to make music?
Read the instructions manual.

Maybe watch a couple tutorials on youtube about how synths work in general, but read the instructions manual of everything you work with unless you're dead sure you know what it does and how it works.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
and how can i learn what each individual parameter does? for instance how will i know what types of oscillators to use or how to automate what filters to get a good wobble/growl bass?
Apart from the instructions manual, try everything and listen to what it does to a sound, that helps a lot as well.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
instuctions dont seem to cover everything, nor do youtube videos, as i usually have problems which are very specific, and dont have very much detailed info on the subject.

i do understand how synths, automation, high/low pass filters etc. work, but theres always something i dont know how to do, whether it be quite basic or not.

well as a starting point, i was watching a video tut explaining how to get some kind of heavy growl bass, and in it he was just explaining how he puts all these filters and parameters on the oscillators, and i have no idea what all of those settings actually do for the sound.
so when i try to just start from scratch and make my own settings, i dont know what i need to do to actually get a good sound, what filters i need to use and things like that.

you guys probably cant do very much to explain this all to me, nor do you have the time, i understand. i guess ill just have to keep experimenting.

thanks for your replies.
learn some basic synthesis, watch hundreds of hours of youtube tutorials

also please listen to some dance music. there's already a long awful tradition of guitarists who decide to make dance music because of Muse or because they like 1 global mainstream artist and you shouldn't want to add to that.
oh no no, i do appreciate EDM in itself, i just realised that i liked it through Nero. i dont listen to that much, i would like to find some more, but because of all the sub genres, its hard to place what type of EDM i like

well i downloaded massive and i managed to get some beefiness from that, but i will keep trying i guess, Thor looked good, but i think it is more complicated than i thought.