If you set the levels too high, it will cause clipping - that will definitely affect your tone and should be avoided as much as possible (unless for some reason you actually want that sound). I always set my input gain to be as high as possible without any clipping.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Depending on the preamp you're using, it can! With a standard interface pre, as long as it's not clipping... probably not, to be honest.

Neve 1073s and other similar high end pres do start to distort in a pleasing way when you drive them hard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
With whatever pre, as long as it's not clipping... probably not, to be honest.
FTFY.
Quote by oneblackened
Neve 1073s and other similar high end pres do start to distort in a pleasing way when you drive them hard.
A 1073 sounds like a 1073 at any volume level because the same type and relative amount of distortion happen at every volume level before you're clipping your signal by raising the gain too much somewhere.

That actually applies to every pre, not the 1073 alone.

Stuff sounds more colored if you turn the gain up (still before clipping the signal) just because the volume's higher, and you really don't want a 1073 clipping your signal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.