Ive been playing 2 years pretty good can play most anything. Now my practice schedule is 1-2 hrs every day usually play scales and just practicing licks and stuff im having trouble with. Recently been trying to write riffs and stuff. I make up riffs but its not the kind of riffs i want to play or write. There just not the style or groove of riff i like to listen to. So my question is should i just stop practicing things like scales and licks etc. and just devote my 1-2 hour a day to just creating stuff and not practicing anything else, just creating. I know the kind of riffs i want to play but its just so hard to do. What should i do anything you think i should be practicing specifically or anything helpful please let me know. The style i like is rock and roll riff masters like slash, joe perry, jimmy page. Thanks
I'd try to learn about the bigger picture. You make riffs, that's good, but are you actually aware of the harmony these riffs imply, for example?

Even if you don't have full chords, your song still has a harmonic progression of some kind (obviously does not apply to !ALL! music out there, but it does for 99%) and being aware of it helps tremendously. It's easier to add other instruments and organize the whole thing in a way that makes sense when you know how harmony works. You can develop your riffs into something more.

So if you don't know how harmony and chord progressions work, I'd start from that.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Apr 6, 2015,
Learn to play your favorite riffs.

Figure out what makes the riffs have the groove you are after. It has a lot to do with the rhythm and accents.

Learn stuff by ear. If you know what you are after but can't get it out, the problem is most of the time your ear. You need to be able to think in sound.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Learn to play your favorite riffs.

Figure out what makes the riffs have the groove you are after. It has a lot to do with the rhythm and accents.

Learn stuff by ear. If you know what you are after but can't get it out, the problem is most of the time your ear. You need to be able to think in sound.

This. This. This.
To me, if I were you, I'd start practicing making my own riffs, and then a song instead. I mean, if I can almost play anybody's song, then it's not challenging anymore, isn't it? So in order to grow, I would find something that is difficult to do, like what you mentioned - the riffs that you know you want to play but just difficult to do so. Then try to connect all the riffs into a song.

Just remember one thing - In anything that you wanna do, you gotta get uncomfortable in order to be comfortable

All the best!