So me and my friend got possession of an old Yamaha Pac 012 from our school. He was gonna fix a crack in the headstock and I was gonna put in new electronics. We were then gonna sell it (obviously not for that much).

Since then, my friend has fixed the headstock but doesn't want to refurbish the guitar anymore as he wants to save his money for an acoustic bass. Right now I own a custom made PRS copy I bought at the end of last year and an Ibanez GIO which was my first electric. I want to build a partscaster to have a stratty guitar. Should I use the body and neck from this yamaha and fill them with high-ish end parts, or should I get a whole new body and neck?

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the parts, the now fixed crack is quite visible but very strong, the neck is decent, the body is alder and not ply.

If you want photos I can supply them. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Those are cool little guitars man. I would just swap the pick ups to something you like. If it stays in tune then I would worry about the tuners etc.....as far as the electronics go if every thing "works" then leave it. A good way to test if the are sucking any tone due to quality is to wire one of the pick ups directly to the jack (so bypassing the pots all together) then connect it back up properly to see if the tone changes much..if it does then yeah upgrade the pots
If it was a Pacifica 112, I would be more inclined to say yes, but the 012 has an Agathis body, which isn't exactly a prime tone wood, so it's not a prime candidate for partscasting. That said, it all depends on the individual guitar.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It all depends on how you work with the guitar to achieve certain sounds and if you enjoy playing the guitar. I mean if you like the sound of the guitar go for it. You can always swap the neck if it bothers you but it depends on how severe the damage is to the neck.

The good news is strat parts are pretty common guitar build to build so it's a great learning experience and at the same time certain parts can be used on other guitars down the road. The only thing bad I can say about the pacifica is that the pickguard isn't exactly a copy of a strat so it's not as customizable but the agathis body worked for it. It was like if Mahogany and alder mixed together. If you have the right amplifier , strings and all it's a good guitar. I had a pacifica recently it's somewhere on my page and usually I'm a metal guitar person. ESP , BC Rich , Jackson and all and I liked it. Not going to say I played Nile or Necrophagist on it but it was a quality guitar. The only thing I dont' care for on strats is the weak 2 wire single coils as the 60 cycle hum would drive me nuts. Thankfully you can get 4 wire pickups.

unless there is an unconditional love with a guitar many will agree with me if the parts cost more than the guitar it's best to just buy another guitar.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 7, 2015,
Quote by Emperor's Child
If it was a Pacifica 112, I would be more inclined to say yes, but the 012 has an Agathis body, which isn't exactly a prime tone wood, so it's not a prime candidate for partscasting. That said, it all depends on the individual guitar.

well thats the problem, when we got it, the input jack was broken. I don't know how this guitar sounds at all.
Quote by StaticBacon
well thats the problem, when we got it, the input jack was broken. I don't know how this guitar sounds at all.

really the 'sound of a guitar comes from the bits of wood so playing it acoustically will give you an idea of its natural sound. If it rings out and sound "full" then it is a good base to start from