Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

So long story short, a guitar store I frequent ended up with a nice used reissue that I just couldn't pass up. I played it a bunch of times and fell in love with the feel and the tone of it. I really don't need another guitar but I couldn't put the thing down and it was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

But yeah anyway, here's the guitar:

It's a 2008 '58 Reissue Les Paul Plaintop. The thing is almost stock (strap buttons were replaced but it came with all the case candy, the COA and OHSC) and hardly has a mark on it. I was told the previous owner was more of an acoustic player and wanted to try electric guitar. I think he ended up not digging electrics and he sold it back or traded it for another acoustic. Luckily, I dig electric guitars a lot so I figured I could give her a nice home.

The neck profile is quite chunky but it's still super comfy to play. I don't have huge bear claws for hands but I can manage my way up and down the neck pretty easy. I'm guessing the pickups are Burstbuckers and they sound fine for now. Bridge pickup has a nice bite to it so I'm keeping that one. Neck pickup I find to be a bit on the boring side. I might try some magnets and other caps I have lying around before I decide to ditch that one completely. Weight wise, the guitar is pretty dang heavy. I haven't scaled the thing yet but I would guess it's on the heavier side of 9 pounds.

All in all, superb guitar and I couldn't be happier with it. Gonna be keeping this one for years to come. Enough blabbing though, I leave you guys with a few more pictures and a quick clip of me being a hack.

Cheers guys
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.

Good thing the red is orangey enough to not be a clownburst.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah well maybe if it was a 70s RI we'd have more of a clown problem

The red looks a bit more washed out in person actually. Best part is there's no finish bleed into the binding. Previous owner barely played it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I always tread lightly around the McBurst (as I call it), looks great though. HNGD.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Great, now I want Mcdonalds...

Thanks

Quote by JustRooster
That looks like the opposite of a problem!

I suppose not
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 6, 2015,
So what's your problem? If it sounds and plays as good as it looks you have a winner.
Quote by stormin1155
So what's your problem? If it sounds and plays as good as it looks you have a winner.

I don't have a problem, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment because I have too many guitars.

But yeah, the thing plays great. I have no complaints
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What's it weigh?

HNGD, seriously nice
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by gtwydell
Shes a pretty one mate! HNGD!

Thanks. I'm actually into plaintops right now so I'm pretty chuffed with how it looks.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
What's it weigh?

HNGD, seriously nice

I still haven't weighed the thing out but you'd think it was a Norlin it's so heavy

Thanks

Quote by Marsden
Nice guitar. When you find that special one, grab it.

Ain't that the truth
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
NGD: I have problems...

We know.

We accept you for who...er...whatever it is you are.

Quote by Zhaezzy
Great looking axe and I like plaintops too.

Thanks man

Quote by dspellman
We know.

We accept you for who...er...whatever it is you are.

Anywho, here's a family shot

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
You could try taking the cover off the neck pickup, that should liven it up a bit. There is a risk of wreckage if it is epoxy-potted (which I doubt), but if you aren't keen on it anyway....

I did that on a set of covered SD SH-2 I bought a few years back. It worked wonders.
They don't use epoxy for sure. Some BB models are wax potted but I never bothered checking if these ones are. If I were to hazard a guess I would say they're unpotted.

I mean the cover will have to come off if I decide to swap the magnet but I'll most likely leave that pickup stock and just swap it outright.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
strap buttons? please tell me you are using strap locks. especially on a Les...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I use the rubber gaskets from Grolsch bottles. Does that count?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Nice

Should've got a Heritage though
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They don't use epoxy for sure. Some BB models are wax potted but I never bothered checking if these ones are. If I were to hazard a guess I would say they're unpotted.

I mean the cover will have to come off if I decide to swap the magnet but I'll most likely leave that pickup stock and just swap it outright.

You might find that the cover removal is enough without the magnet change. It would be really interesting to try the combinations, - cover, original magnet; no cover, original magnet; new magnet, cover; new magnet, no cover, if you want to go to that much trouble. Between, say, Al II and Al V, I would be guessing that the cover would have as much effect on tone.
Quote by Tony Done
You might find that the cover removal is enough without the magnet change. It would be really interesting to try the combinations, - cover, original magnet; no cover, original magnet; new magnet, cover; new magnet, no cover, if you want to go to that much trouble. Between, say, Al II and Al V, I would be guessing that the cover would have as much effect on tone.

Yeah when I get around to it I'll play around with some stuff and see what combos work

Quote by Badmotorfingers
Nice

Should've got a Heritage though

Thanks

Heritage guitars are nice but the shop doesn't carry them. I'd also be spending a pretty penny swapping out the parts for Historic style ones
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Kalamazoo is the real historic
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
They used to be made there I know. Its not my first time around the LP block.

But yeah no places carry Heritage here. The only one Ive seen was a used 90s H150. Nice guitar but had a 3 piece neck, short tenon and nashville hardware. Not that there's a problem with that but if Im splurging on a Les Paul I want it done the way I think a Les Paul should be.

I wouldnt mind a Heritage semi-hollow though
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 7, 2015,
Very nice and I bet it looks even nicer in person, digital cameras tend to oversaturate the red of cherryburst. Still my favourite Les Paul in your collection is that natural one

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Quote by billyTheShears
Very nice and I bet it looks even nicer in person, digital cameras tend to oversaturate the red of cherryburst. Still my favourite Les Paul in your collection is that natural one

That one is pretty nice. Solid maple top (no veneer), 1 piece mahogany neck, RW finger board with FEB. Swapped the hardware for Gotoh, got some stew mac Parson St. buckers with an AIII neck and AII bridge. Kluson double ring tuners and reflectors for that 60s vibe.

Nice guitar, and the cheapest LP I own. Tailpiece position is off though.

Also it used to be cherry as well:

Might gold top it
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Sorry greg
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That's why it looked familiar, I remember the NRFD thread about it

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Might gold top it

It would be a pity to cover that top, you could buy a gold top next, here at UG we enjoy NGDs more than NRFDs

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Yeah it's a pretty nice top. I don't know how I'd feel about owning 4 Les Pauls though so a refin seems more appealing right now. Plus it has a darkback so it would make for a good black plastic GT.

Plus, if I hate it, I could always strip it and amber the top again.

Either way, I'll probably be too lazy and won't bother touching it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ugh i hate cherry/sunburst but congrats lol. Clownburst though never heard that before, hilarious

also maybe try moving the neck pickup a smidge or two closer to the strings and see if that doesn't liven it up before making more drastic changes?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Thanks

Clownburst is a pretty typical term for the color but most people tend to associate clownbursts with Norlin era burst finishes (which tended to be teardrop shaped and have a pretty harsh transition from amber to red). Washed Cherry would probably be more appropriate to call the R8 but I like being funny.

Yeah I suppose I could play with pickup height.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Clownburst is a pretty typical term for the color but most people tend to associate clownbursts with Norlin era burst finishes (which tended to be teardrop shaped and have a pretty harsh transition from amber to red)

I just gave myself some serious eyeball torture looking that up... Eww
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Oh yeah theres some scary shit down clown burst alley. Thats for sure
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They used to be made there I know. Its not my first time around the LP block.

But yeah no places carry Heritage here. The only one Ive seen was a used 90s H150. Nice guitar but had a 3 piece neck, short tenon and nashville hardware. Not that there's a problem with that but if Im splurging on a Les Paul I want it done the way I think a Les Paul should be.

I wouldnt mind a Heritage semi-hollow though

The newer ones are actually supposed to be better, from like mid 00s to now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
nice looking LP. hey man when they call to you you just have to buy them. i've bought a couple of guitars that just kept saying "bob i'm for you" when i played them.
Quote by monwobobbo
nice looking LP. hey man when they call to you you just have to buy them. i've bought a couple of guitars that just kept saying "bob i'm for you" when i played them.

Yeah it was one of those "this is your guitar" moments for sure.

Quote by Badmotorfingers
The newer ones are actually supposed to be better, from like mid 00s to now.

Yeah I'd really like to try a newer one. The Skolnick model looks pretty sweet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Nice score. Is a Gibson like an expensive Agile?

They should just come out with a proper Pennywise-burst just for UGers like you
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Page 1 of 2