I'm guessing the closest sound would be like a fuzz pedal or something? I definitely know that an ehx ring thing cannot. So what can make a sound close to an 8-bit?
There are pedals out there that do the 8 bit thing already. The 8 Bit Duck by Luck Duck might be up your alley. Im sure there are more examples out there but im not too familiar with them.

IIRC the effect is called a Bitcrusher
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A bitcrusher will make everything sound very distorted and will lower your sound's resolution down to 8bit, but that won't sound like these 8bit sounds you hear in SNES games and similar stuff.

For that you need some kind of a synth pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
There are pedals out there that do the 8 bit thing already. The 8 Bit Duck by Luck Duck might be up your alley. Im sure there are more examples out there but im not too familiar with them.

IIRC the effect is called a Bitcrusher

I heard people complain about luck duck's service though, anyways thanks for the info!
Quote by Spambot_2
A bitcrusher will make everything sound very distorted and will lower your sound's resolution down to 8bit, but that won't sound like these 8bit sounds you hear in SNES games and similar stuff.

For that you need some kind of a synth pedal.

like what?
The earthquaker devices bit commander and the zvex lo-fi junky for example.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Devi Ever Legend of Bit seems nice
EQD has some that do the 8-bit thing
The Mobius has an effect on it that does the bitcrushed sound really well, but y'know, $$$

Ultimately you're not gonna find a pedal that makes you sound like an NES. There's more going on there then just the sound being 8-bit. The only real way to get that NES sound is to somehow convert your signal to midi and then feed that into a Sample set up to sound like a NES or send it into an Actual NES.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Apr 6, 2015,
A fuzz pedal and noise gate set really high could help you get that sorta tone, if you happen to have those laying around. I can't think of the company that makes 'em but there's an old school Nintendo controller looking fuzz pedal that does it pretty well, I kick myself all the time for not buying that pedal but I just couldn't see myself using it after the novelty wore off. I've noticed you can get a similar effect with cheap mfx units using fuzz and noise gate. That's how I play the Super Mario Bros theme, lol.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
This Devi Ever would work for $100
www.cheaperpedals.com/collections/devi-ever-pedals/products/devi-ever-bit-legend-of-fuzz-pedal

This Noisemaker Effects Arcade Fuzz wil work great also and it is only $66 for a hand made in USA pedal
www.cheaperpedals.com/collections/noisemaker-effects/products/noisemaker-effects-arcade-fuzz
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate