So I can never get some good firm reviews on BC Rich guitars. People say they're horrible and that I should go with Jacksons, others say they sound great, and so on. I was really interested in buying the Warlock. It looks very badass and from what I heard at GC it sounded pretty damn decent. With that said, how are BC Rich guitars?
What model? What line?

My opinion of something like a Bronze Series BC Rich vs an NJ series would be completely different.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It completely depends on what particular model you're talking about.

They're better than they used to be, but I still probably wouldn't get one because I hate nearly all of their designs (the Mockingbird is kind of cool though) and while the better BC. Riches are made by World Musical Instruments, which is a good factory, I'm still skeptical that they're being made to the same standards as the other guitar brands that are made there.

Anything that's BC Rich that isn't Korean made is probably an utter turd.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm no fan of most of BC Rich's designs, though I do have a soft spot for the Mockingbird. I borrowed one for @6 months while deciding whether to go electric.

Quality-wise, I'd put them in the same category as Dean: I wouldn't buy one that is priced under $500 new. Too many better guitars in that price range, like from Ibanez, Godin and Schecter.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As with most big name guitar companies, they range from utterly horrible to really good guitars, so as others have said, we'd need the model of what you're considering buying. That being said, B.C Rich tends to get an unnecessary amount of hate. My friend has a B.C Rich 7-String Jr V, and that thing kills. I've played a few high end warlocks that felt great too, B.C Rich has some insanely comfortable cutaways on a few of their neck through models.
Most of the korean ones are pretty decent. I wouldn't put them as being much better or worse than Jacksons, LTDs or Ibbys in that price range. Like any brand imperfections occasianally slip through. As for the lower end ones, you get what you pay for. Which model Warlock was it by the way?
BC Rich guy here. as metnioned the older cheapie series guitars are pretty bad. they've made tons of different Warlocks so in order to give a decent opinion we'd need to know which one. a basic rule of thumb with BC Rich is that if it is a neck thru model then chances are it's at least decent. bolt ons are all over the place with the jury giving a thumbs down on many of them. BC Rich tends to get a lot of shit because many players have only tried one or two low end guitars and based their opinions solely on that. american made BC Rich's are amoungst the finiest guitars out there sadly few get a chance to even try them. currently as mentioned the Korean made ones are mostly good and if you can find one of the early to mid 2000s czech made ones those are really nice.
Quote by Granata
So I can never get some good firm reviews on BC Rich guitars. People say they're horrible and that I should go with Jacksons, others say they sound great, and so on.

This should tell you everything you need to know. They're all over the block, and there's no guarantee you're going to get a decent guitar. If you're going to evaluate YouTube vid reviews, the first thing to do is to evaluate the reviewer. You can usually tell if he knows anything at all about what he's doing (and most of the time the answer is "no"). Then take a look at what, exactly, he's considering when he reviews a guitar. If it's mostly looks, flip to the next review.

Quote by Granata

I was really interested in buying the Warlock. It looks very badass and from what I heard at GC it sounded pretty damn decent. With that said, how are BC Rich guitars?

Never evaluate a guitar based on looks and never ever evaluate a guitar at Guitar Denter. Ever.

All that said, I have exactly one BCR guitar, and it's ancient (US-made, done maybe 30 years ago). It's outstanding. The originator of these guitars left the company, the brand became a really crappy import (but using most of the same body styles) and a bad clone of its former self, and I really haven't picked up a good example of the current product to play with.
Quote by dspellman
This should tell you everything you need to know. They're all over the block, and there's no guarantee you're going to get a decent guitar. If you're going to evaluate YouTube vid reviews, the first thing to do is to evaluate the reviewer. You can usually tell if he knows anything at all about what he's doing (and most of the time the answer is "no"). Then take a look at what, exactly, he's considering when he reviews a guitar. If it's mostly looks, flip to the next review.

Never evaluate a guitar based on looks and never ever evaluate a guitar at Guitar Denter. Ever.

All that said, I have exactly one BCR guitar, and it's ancient (US-made, done maybe 30 years ago). It's outstanding. The originator of these guitars left the company, the brand became a really crappy import (but using most of the same body styles) and a bad clone of its former self, and I really haven't picked up a good example of the current product to play with.

i understand what you are saying but just because say Leo Fender is no longer with fender do they now suck? nobody that was around in the 50s at gibson is there either etc. not a good way to judge a company. now i do agree that the new stuff isn't anywhee near teh standard of the original US made guitar from the 70s - early 80s. since those were boutique at the time no big suprise there. BC Rich did have a bad period for sure and are still judged by them for the most part. try some of the NJ classic series or the Exotic series that wee made in the mid 2000s and you might be suprised. i look forward to the new classic series although i wish they did more than the mockingbird and warlock.
Quote by monwobobbo
i understand what you are saying but just because say Leo Fender is no longer with fender do they now suck? nobody that was around in the 50s at gibson is there either etc. not a good way to judge a company. now i do agree that the new stuff isn't anywhee near teh standard of the original US made guitar from the 70s - early 80s. since those were boutique at the time no big suprise there. BC Rich did have a bad period for sure and are still judged by them for the most part. try some of the NJ classic series or the Exotic series that wee made in the mid 2000s and you might be suprised. i look forward to the new classic series although i wish they did more than the mockingbird and warlock.

I have. I was surprised.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1645710

And I wasn't the only person. There have been quite a few incidents of this exact problem occurring to the mid-2000's NJ Classics when I did some further research.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 7, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have. I was surprised.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1645710

And I wasn't the only person. There have been quite a few incidents of this exact problem occurring to the mid-2000's NJ Classics when I did some further research.

haven't run across that issue myself all the ones i've played have been great. perhaps they got some bad truss rods in a batch and some got out. i'd bet that this happened right when they switched production from czech to korea. lets face it if you do some research on many guitars i'm sure you can find a bitch about them even teh high end stuff.

my only real point was that not all BC Rich gutars are bronze series crap. they seem to have gotten more consistently better in the last 10 years or so.
Go for one of these

Fernandes MG-100X

They pop up on ebay regularly and are much better than anything Rich has done since the terrible Class Axe years.
Cry yourself to ash
Fernandes' sister company, Burny, also makes axes with that body style.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!