I have absolutely fallen in love with this guitar tone, it almost has like a rubbery sound to it and was wondering what I can do to get there? I tend to stick with a 80's glam metal sound but thats too loud and distorted for this song I think.

My gear:
Blackstar HT-5W Amp
PRS SE Santana with pearly gates in neck and custom custom in bridge
running through a Metal End pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XP6n69WZE

Appreciate any help thanks!
Last edited by Blicer at Apr 6, 2015,
Get rid of the HT5.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get rid of the HT5.

although I'm not convinced that guy is playing on a tube amp...sounds more like a high quality modeler.

Maybe try to upgrade your pickups first op? You'll need hotter stuff then the pearly gates.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Big part of the sound is the use of the neck pickup...
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
Neck pickup's a big one. This has also almost certainly been EQ'd to fit the other instruments, with boosts ranging anywhere from 200-900 hz in varying amounts. Metal rhythm guitars are usually scooped at around 700 hz, which makes it a logical place to boost (within reason, don't overdo it) on your lead tracks. Play around with it and see.

I've gotten tones like this easily enough on freeware modelers just by boosting the low mids and playing on the neck pickup, so I question whether the gear used could really make that much of a difference.
fairly positive that guy is using a sustainiac pickup. pretty sure thats a majority of it. not only do those have a tone of themselves, but unlimited sustain. that and some good EQing and decent sounding gain / rig.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
1) Yes, that is a 7-string sustainiac pickup

2) Unfortunately, K.A.Z.'s entry on Equipboard seems empty, or I'd direct you there. To me, it sounds a lot like the tone the neoclassical shredders like YJM, Chastain, and others favored in the mid-1980s to 1990s. Look those guys up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I appreciate it guys Illl look into some modelers and that sustain pickup has me interested
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get rid of the HT5.

I had an HT5 when I lived in the dorms. It wasn't amazing, but it was better than most solid states. I don't get the hate the thing has on these forums. Blackstar makes some pretty cool stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
get an overdrive instead of using the distortion pedal. i do think others are correct about the sustainiac pickup but seems like you could get a similar tone if you try. i think you'd also need a delay as it seems like one is used on the vid to fatten up the sound (i do this when recording).
Quote by JustRooster
I had an HT5 when I lived in the dorms. It wasn't amazing, but it was better than most solid states. I don't get the hate the thing has on these forums. Blackstar makes some pretty cool stuff.

I personally didn't like it when I tried it. It was fizzy and didn't really sound all that inspiring. It was bland.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by EyeballPaul
I find a Condom over the nut usually gives a nice 'rubbery' tone....

which nut?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I personally didn't like it when I tried it. It was fizzy and didn't really sound all that inspiring. It was bland.

I find it pleasing and inspiring but I wouldn't call it a conventional amp, and I'd be careful who I suggest it too.