Hi, my band has recently lost it’s main mode of transport to gigs and I need a set up that I can carry in a very small car or public transport. I’m after a pretty basic heavy, high gain rhythm tone for hardcore so I’m thinking a small modeller line the Line 6 beans into a power amp. I’ve never looked into a set up like this and I’m on a budget so I’m wondering what the cheapest way I could do this. I don’t mind going second hand. Any help or experiences on this matter would be appreciated.

Edit: I've already got a tuner pedal, noise gate and a tubescreamer (could be used for a mid-boost) if that helps at all.
Last edited by joshuadakin1 at Apr 6, 2015,
Are you looking to just gig with this setup? Just get yourself an HD500 or HD500X and go direct FOH, no power amp or cab needed.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yes I am mate but we often play basements and practice rooms etc so I'd prefer the to go with the power amp route. Thanks for the suggestion though.
The HD500/x would be good with a poweramp. Personally, I find it really comes alive WHEN you pair it with a cab & poweramp.

I'm a little confused though. I understand how hard it can be to not have transport, but frankly if you really need, you could potentially carry a small combo amp or head & 1x12 on a public bus (maybe not rush hour times though). A modeller & power amp will need a cab, and you'll probably have the same amount of gear to take as you would if you had an amp head..
Quote by ambler3
The HD500/x would be good with a poweramp. Personally, I find it really comes alive WHEN you pair it with a cab & poweramp.

I'm a little confused though. I understand how hard it can be to not have transport, but frankly if you really need, you could potentially carry a small combo amp or head & 1x12 on a public bus (maybe not rush hour times though). A modeller & power amp will need a cab, and you'll probably have the same amount of gear to take as you would if you had an amp head..

^ This is pretty much what I was getting at. Even just carrying around a cab and power amp isn't going to be much better than a head and cab in terms of space. Then carrying a bean or an HD500? Forget it. What may be best is an HD500 and a powered PA wedge.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
At whatever gigs we play cabinets would be provided, I won't ever have to carry a cab around.

As I said, we often play very small venues, basements, practice rooms so the guitar cab will not be mic'd up so I don't want to use a small combo and there will only be a very small p.a for vocals so not sure running direct into it is a good idea.

As I'm on a budget I suppose I'm basically asking for recommendations on very cheap and light as possible power amps as I have no experience whatsoever in this area.

All I will have to take to shows is my guitar, modeller, power amp and pedals. I assumed this would be a lot lighter than carrying my guitar, pedals and my head (which is very heavy) around. Correct me if I'm wrong as I said this is not something I've looked into much, I had a quick look on google before making this thread but ended up confused so that's why I'm asking on here.
Last edited by joshuadakin1 at Apr 6, 2015,
My lightest setup is a guitar/Pod bean/powered speaker/FBV Shortboard.

The powered speaker is a Carvin PM12A -- there's a 12" LF driver and a 1"tweeter and a 400W RMS amp built in, and that thing weighs about 29 pounds. You can put it on a speaker stand, an amp stand, use it as a floor wedge, etc. They run about $279.

I like the shortboard/Pod Bean combination because I have the option of leaving the Pod itself in the backline OR putting it on a mike stand (there's a folded metal gizmo that allows you to do that), while the shortboard can be out front, and all that connects it is a single ethernet cable.

Honestly, I try to find FX built into the Pod rather than carry an additional pedalboard. It's just lighter that way, and most audiences won't hear the difference. The other issue with individual FX is that you have a significant number of connections and power hookups that can fail. Avoiding those is just a plus.
Get a modeler and powered FRFR speaker two devices and your set.

If you're on a budget get the Line6 HD500X or Boss GT100, run all your presets with the amp modeling and cabinet modeling turned on.

Get a budget wedge or cab style powered FRFR (full range/flat response) speaker. Either used on CL or new depending on your budget.

Don't get anything smaller than a 10". I would recommend a QSC K10 ($600-700), EV ELX112p ($500) or EV ZLX112p ($399), hugely powerful 800-1500W depending on the model, some have dsp so you can tune for the room. Don't underestimate the power/influence the cab has on your sound. If you want a consistent tone you have to control the cab, forget the poweramp because these FRFR's are clean powered, super simple setup.

Basically this is an AxeFX "lite" setup. You'll love it and you will sound the same every gig.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
One note -- you CAN buy a fairly inexpensive power amp to cart around. But if you're relying on whatever guitar cabinet will be available at the venue or practice facility, you'll sound different every time.

I have a very lightweight 1500W Carvin HD1500 (about 9 lbs), and I can use just one channel and have the power output work fine for a guitar cabinet, but that's not something I've done in years.

This is roughly what your PM12A setup would look like, though this one is using a different floor modeler...

Quote by Dazzl1113
Get a modeler and powered FRFR speaker two devices and your set.

If you're on a budget get the Line6 HD500X or Boss GT100, run all your presets with the amp modeling and cabinet modeling turned on.

Get a budget wedge or cab style powered FRFR (full range/flat response) speaker. Either used on CL or new depending on your budget.

Don't get anything smaller than a 10". I would recommend a QSC K10 ($600-700), EV ELX112p ($500) or EV ZLX112p ($399), hugely powerful 800-1500W depending on the model, some have dsp so you can tune for the room. Don't underestimate the power/influence the cab has on your sound. If you want a consistent tone you have to control the cab, forget the poweramp because these FRFR's are clean powered, super simple setup.

Basically this is an AxeFX "lite" setup. You'll love it and you will sound the same every gig.

The modeling on the GT-100 is garbage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100