Hey guys! I'm more than 100% sure this has been asked before, but the latest thread I was able to find on this was July 2012. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

So, I want to join a band. As far as equipment goes, there's some pretty good stuff coming in the next few months. The reason why I'm posting this here, is, well... How good do I need to be at my technique? I've heard all the responses about being able to play in time, but I want to play metal (specifically folk metal) and I would like a list of things I should be able to do. The following is a list that I can think of what I can do:

• I can recognise time signatures and keys/modes (I know most) with fair accuracy, quite quickly.

• I can stay in time fairly well (I can get any song I can thus far play pretty much perfect throughout in less than ten tries).

• I can play some of the more popular songs, although I doubt this helps as I want to play originals.

• I know my Circle of Fifths and music intervals.

• I know the intervals for minor and major scales.

• I'm able to compose lyrics well (lyrics are my forte so to speak), simple metal rhythm guitar (chugga - chugga low string then powerchord sort of thing), simple folk melodies for flute/recorder/violin.

• I have a fairly good voice, as in, I'm able to stay in key for the most part (two or three mistakes a song). Here are my vocal stats:
    The lowest note I can hit is D#2 (fret 1 string 6 in drop D), and the highest is G#3 (fret 1 string 3 in standard). This is an octave and a fifth.
    My 'tessitura' is from G2 (fret 3 string 6 in standard) to E3 (fret 2 string 4 in standard). This is only a major sixth
    My falsetto is from G3 (open string 3 in standard, yes, my regular voice and falsetto overlap) to D#5 (fret 11 string 1 in standard). This is an octave and a minor sixth.
    I sadly can't reach neither 'fry' nor 'head' registers as I am right now, so I have no passaggi.
    My growls and 'whisper screams' need to be worked on methinks.

Short list of things I can't do:
  • Downpicking very well (I can't play Master of Puppets with proper technique faster than 164 BPM).
  • Soloing and improvisation is pretty hard for me, although I am planning on being a rhythm guitarist anyway (including the future).
  • Composition is fairly slow for me, but is fairly solid in my own opinion. Being busy with the second - last year in school and what not, I compose a ~6 minute song every 3 months.

So, here are my questions:
Based on my 'musician resume', am I ready to join a band? If not, what do I need to brush up on? Should I be offering vox too, or just guitar?
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 7, 2015,
You need to be only as good as the music you want to create. That's pretty much the only answer.

If you want to be the next Dream Theater, then you're obviously going to need to be a lot more technically proficient compared to wanting to be the next Rammstein for example.

What exactly is folk metal anyways? Wintersun / Ensiferum? Similar to this absolutely amazing song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-FEbdNTuk
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 7, 2015,
^Sorry dude, I just edited the post. I clicked Post Thread instead of Preview accidentally. Could you please give it a re - read? And in my own opinion, the simpler the music, the more catchy it is, meaning that the more people will get and keep the message one is trying to get across. That is my philosophy to this. And Rammstein are my favourite band of all time, so... Yeah, no Dream Theater for me.

Yes, Lai Lai Hei is amazing, although I will agree with the majority on this one: Victory Song is their masterpiece. Can I play that? Yes. It would take me maybe 7 or 8 tries, just as an estimate, to record a cover I could live with, and my standards are fairly high. But composition? I couldn't compose that in a million years. The thing is: I didn't. But thanks for the reply. Tell me what you think though.

Quote by Offworld92
I'm essentially ignoring everything you have listed on your "resume" because it's irrelevant. What matters is that you will be satisfied with yourself and the music you create. If you don't enjoy playing what you and your band will write then it seems pretty pointless.

The biggest thing on my mind is you're in Melbourne and you want to be in a folk metal band. I think the real question here is - Do I want to JOIN a band or do I want to START a band?

If it were me personally wanting to be in a folk metal band (and I have thought about starting a folk metal band a lot) then I would almost definitely start a band and not join a band. Being an Australian myself I know how very very scarce the folk metal fan base is compared to Europe for example. I would see you having a lot of difficulty finding a folk metal band looking for a guitarist. If you can though well holy **** you found a folk metal band in Melbourne..
It's not like you're wanting to be the next Parkway Drive, in which case every second person in Melbourne will be keen. You know it's true

There's going to be a lot of dedication and passion involved in getting a folk metal bands wheels turning, so if you're that passionate about it then I say **** your "resume" and just do it.
Hm, that's fair enough, and yeah, I know what you mean. Although, I wouldn't mind Melodic Progressive Metal too, say kind of like Ne Obliviscaris. They're from Melbourne, progressive metal with a violin as the lead instrument. As far as the lyrical content goes, I'm more into the 'serious' 'change the society' stuff to be honest. So I wouldn't know what to truly classify myself as (something you've already brought up), considering I'd like to use an entire array for my lead instruments: flute, violin and recorder.

But yeah, I thought about that too, although there are plenty of MelBand ads that say 'Looking to join/start (such and such) band'.

So, when the equipment gets here, do you reckon I should go for it?

EDIT: just saw YOUR edit. Yeah, thanks mate! I am fairly dedicated, but this will be a challenge. Parkway Drive?.. I WAS about to retaliate that, but then...

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 7, 2015,
Quote by 2Crosser
So, when the equipment gets here, do you reckon I should go for it?

That's not for me to answer. If you want to do it then do it. These things wont come to you, so you're going to have to make it happen yourself.

EDIT: Shame you're not in Perth or I'd seriously consider joining you
I do want to, so I'll take that as a 'yes'. However, there is also the option of just waiting to finish school, because I would like to go to Uni for Bachelor of Law, and the pre - requisites down here are crazy, so if I don't get in here, I could have to move. One of the lower options is Griffiths. However, I honestly hope you find a band until then.

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by 2Crosser
I do want to, so I'll take that as a 'yes'. However, there is also the option of just waiting to finish school, because I would like to go to Uni for Bachelor of Law, and the pre - requisites down here are crazy, so if I don't get in here, I could have to move. One of the lower options is Griffiths. However, I honestly hope you find a band until then.

Sometimes you have to get your priorities straight. Right now I'm not actively looking for a band because I'm living in Canada and in the process of sorting out my plans once I return to Australia so obviously being in a band isn't high on my priority list. If you think you can balance school and a band then more power to you. For me, I know I wont be able to find a healthy balance, but further down the line if the opportunity arises I definitely wont be saying no to getting things going.

That being said I'm also very very picky with other musicians, because I'm way too narrow minded musically and don't get a long with a lot of musicians on a musical level. There's only two or so musicians I know who I could see myself starting a band with. One lives in NZ and the other is in his own band. It can't hurt to be picky though. It's one thing to get along with your band outside of the music, but at the end of the day if you don't agree musically then you're just wasting your time.
Thanks for that advice^. Yeah, I can do plenty of things at once well. Anyway, thank you very much for the help.

Quote by Offworld92
My personal vision and opiniun... Just get some friends together and start playing. Skills and equipment dont realy matter. I only played rock/metal, started a band with friends and ended up playing funk and soul. Just start/join the band. All i have to sya
Thanks ^. From metal to soul... You're a versatile guitarist!

Quote by Offworld92
finding people that are more or less on your level to jam with is your best bet. get used to playing with others in a situation that is a little more relaxed than being in a band. if you try to join someone elses band then you have to be up to their standards or it isn't going to work. would suggest trying to find some other guys to play with on a casual basis rathe than trying to get into or form a band right now. once you get used to playing with others and improve some then try an actual band thing.

there is way more to doing the band thing than just being able to play. finding people on the same page as you and with personalities that work with yours is the hard part. egos etc do in more bands than not being able to play everything perfectly.