Never heard of a piccolo bass. But there are 6 string, short scale bass guitars and Baritone guitars that some bands use. That is probably what your talking about.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like it but at the same time I don't like it. I will make up my mind when I actually play one one day. I think the only difference would really be the strings and maybe the scale. You could probably put piccolo bass strings on any bass. I'm thinking about stringing my 6er with piccolo strings on the top two (G & C), or maybe even the top three.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ A piccolo bass is a bass that's tuned an octave up.

Anyhoos, a piccolo bass has a distinct timbre. I'm personally a fan.

A bass that's tuned an octave up is a guitar.
With bass strings.

Or a bass. With really skinny strings.
Stanley Clarke used to play one of these now and again.

If you convert a guitar, you'll likely have to change out the nut to accommodate the strings. Same deal if you convert a bass; you'll want a new nut to accommodate skinnier strings.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 7, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
With bass strings.

Err No. Wrong way around, that would be a Bass vi.

Piccolos are fun and especially good for solo bass stuff.
Quote by dspellman
With bass strings.

Or a bass. With really skinny strings.
Stanley Clarke used to play one of these now and again.

If you convert a guitar, you'll likely have to change out the nut to accommodate the strings. Same deal if you convert a bass; you'll want a new nut to accommodate skinnier strings.

Stanley Clarke plays piccolos a lot. Pretty much exclusively with SMV. Michael Manring also plays piccolo.
Quote by Spaz91
Err No. Wrong way around, that would be a Bass vi.

Piccolos are fun and especially good for solo bass stuff.

Err No.

Guitars are tuned an octave above a bass (and/or bass is tuned an octave below a guitar), leastways when you're talking a standard four-string bass.

Piccolo basses have been created in a lot of ways. It's sort of an ad hoc instrument. I've seen them in four, five and six-string versions and done on guitar chassis with scales from 25.5" to about 30" and on bass chassis from about 34" down to around 28". Just depends on what the player is comfortable with and what he had laying around that he wanted to screw with.

It's also worth noting in passing that they get tuned a whole LOT of different ways besides just an octave up from a standard bass.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 7, 2015,
Quote by aaronfield6
Do Piccolo bass guitars have a specific use or something?

I've seen on youtube bassists playing all chords and stuff I'm really confused...can someone shed some light on this please?

The piccolo bass - at least, as it currently exists - is almost entirely a solo (or lead) instrument. The piccolo strings are no thicker than electric guitar strings. GHS makes a piccolo bass string set that runs from .018 to .050. Clearly, you are way out of the low end territory when you play a piccolo bass.

As some have already said, because of the huge difference in string diameter, you really need to have the string nut replaced with one that is cut and spaced specifically for piccolo bass strings. Depending on the bass, you might even have to switch out the stock frets for smaller frets. Some electric basses have gigantic frets that might give intonation problems when you install a set of piccolo strings.

There is no doubt that the piccolo bass is here to stay, and that experts can do amazing things with one. They guy who seems to be at the top of the piccolo bass heap is a fellow who calls himself Zander Zon. He uses several tunings and creates his own arrangements of a lot of well-known tunes, as well as writing his own original material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQoRS09OUnE

Yes; he really is that good.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The piccolo bass - at least, as it currently exists - is almost entirely a solo (or lead) instrument. The piccolo strings are no thicker than electric guitar strings. GHS makes a piccolo bass string set that runs from .018 to .050. Clearly, you are way out of the low end territory when you play a piccolo bass.

As some have already said, because of the huge difference in string diameter, you really need to have the string nut replaced with one that is cut and spaced specifically for piccolo bass strings. Depending on the bass, you might even have to switch out the stock frets for smaller frets. Some electric basses have gigantic frets that might give intonation problems when you install a set of piccolo strings.

There is no doubt that the piccolo bass is here to stay, and that experts can do amazing things with one. They guy who seems to be at the top of the piccolo bass heap is a fellow who calls himself Zander Zon. He uses several tunings and creates his own arrangements of a lot of well-known tunes, as well as writing his own original material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQoRS09OUnE

Yes; he really is that good.

Yeah I've watched him on youtube he does covers and makes his own solos which I thought was amazing I wanted one, but I didn't know whether it was a literal piccolo bass or just the strings google didn't help because it said it was both a bass and the strings thanks for explaining it though I understand now
While I am almost certain that he had the string nut replaced, Zander Zon plays what appears to be a stock Zon VB4 bass:

Clearly, it would be a great choice for a dedicated piccolo bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If only I could play like that... Wow!
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
reminds me of a tenor guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate