Am i the only one who finds themselves wanting to pick every single note when i improvise?? i know some guitarists do it pretty well, but it messes with my speed when i do that, yet its instinct for me to play that way. advice for breaking the habit?
My exercise with the pentatonic scales does the exact opposite.
Maybe an easy way to break that habit.

Play for example position 3, play the first root. Shift at the end to position 4. Back to 3 etc etc.
Do this randomly and start skipping strings / notes in between this.

Easy way to pickup pentatonic scales & to learn it fast + maybe breaks the habit in this case :P
Quote by nylgutman
Am i the only one who finds themselves wanting to pick every single note when i improvise?? i know some guitarists do it pretty well, but it messes with my speed when i do that, yet its instinct for me to play that way. advice for breaking the habit?

when i was first learning to play double picking was the thing to do for speed. al dimiola had just gotten popular and that is what he was doing. so yeah to this day i pretty much pick every note. doing othewise requiers some practice and getting to a point whee you don't really have to think about it. at this point i just kinda know when to not pick every note.
I'm very good at hammers and pulloffs, slides etc, but I suck at picking. I'm more comfortable hammering more than I pick, because I can't pick for my life lmao.

We both need to step out of our comfort zones.
I also pick every note when am playing fast runs, but I don't see it as a bad habit. Just a different style.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Funny thing to force yourself to stop picking: squeeze the strings at the first fret with your RIGHT hand and now improvise with your LEFT hand. Since no notes will keep ringing, you can do all kinds of crazy legato stuff.
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.