So I'm going to be buying a sub this summer. It's getting paired with 2 KRK rokit 5's. I'll be picking up a focusrite scarlet 2i4 at some point.

I'm looking to spend around the $400 range and just want the best bang for my buck.

Secondary question, how can I go about using this set up for movies as well as music? Do I need to run everything through the interface or is there another way to go about hooking it up to a blue ray or the tv or something like that?
Wait.

First off, you gotta know if your room can handle a sub, 'cause if it can't getting one is gonna cause more troubles than anything else.

If you already have rp5's you might get whatever sub, either designed for hi-fi or for studio monitoring, you're not gonna get an accurate sound reproduction out of your setup anyway.
If it's not for mixing I'd rather get a sub designed for hi-fi applications.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
KRK makes a pretty good 10" sub (the 10S) that has 150W RMS, and it's $399.

http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html

You don't need an interface; just output directly from your TV, music (iPod, etc.), blue ray, yada yada. I have Rokit 8's and feed them with a mixer that consolidates sources like keys, computer, iPod, modeled guitar, bass, TV, etc.
There's a Russian one on fire in an Arctic dock at the moment. You might get that cheap. lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by crackerjack123
There's a Russian one on fire in an Arctic dock at the moment. You might get that cheap. lol.

Right. Two nuclear reactors onboard. I wonder how that translates to watts.
If it's just for listening to music, playing games or watching DVD's buying a powered sub is OK. There is nothing wrong with the KRK monitors but the KRK Rokit5 is one of the lower end modals and were not designed to have much bottom end, but if you are looking to use an additional sub for recording purposes, I'd suggest taking the $400.00 and buy a better pair of recording monitors. I think adding a sub if you are setting up a system for recording and mixing is a mistake because you will get a false sense of what your mixes would sound like on another system. You'll be hearing low end sounds that most other systems won't have and you'll wonder where your low end went when playing back on anyone else's system.

If it's just for listening purposes, buy a sub and crank it up. If your primary use will be recording, get a better set of monitors. There is decent stuff available for $400.00.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
If it's just for listening to music, playing games or watching DVD's buying a powered sub is OK. There is nothing wrong with the KRK monitors but the KRK Rokit5 is one of the lower end modals and were not designed to have much bottom end, but if you are looking to use an additional sub for recording purposes, I'd suggest taking the $400.00 and buy a better pair of recording monitors. I think adding a sub if you are setting up a system for recording and mixing is a mistake because you will get a false sense of what your mixes would sound like on another system. You'll be hearing low end sounds that most other systems won't have and you'll wonder where your low end went when playing back on anyone else's system.

If it's just for listening purposes, buy a sub and crank it up. If your primary use will be recording, get a better set of monitors. There is decent stuff available for $400.00.

I think we're getting well beyond what the TS wants to do with the system.

The Rokit 5s are pretty decent monitors for the price, though you can spend lots more for monitors with 5" woofers if you're going to be hypercritical about recording. I actually bought the Rokit 8's because they had adequate bottom end for the bulk of what I was doing, but I can certainly see adding a good sub at some point in the future.

The 5's are pretty clean, but would definitely benefit from a bottom boost when watching TV, etc. And most recording folks have a switchable sub (the KRK 10S is one such) that allows you to listen to the mix with and without the sub. It's there precisely to let you know how your mix would sound on car and other bass-heavy systems.
I second what Ricky said.
Quote by dspellman
I think we're getting well beyond what the TS wants to do with the system.
Possibly.

TS, do you only want to listen to music/TV/movies or also mix music?
Quote by dspellman
The Rokit 5s are pretty decent monitors for the price
The rp5's wouldn't be decent for half the money.
Not for the application they're marketed for.

They're expensive hi-fi speakers, not studio monitors.
Quote by dspellman
though you can spend lots more for monitors with 5" woofers if you're going to be hypercritical about recording.
Or you can spend the same amount of money and get a pair of JBL LSR305's, which reproduce the source material a ton more accurately.

I really don't understand, why do you advocate for the superiority of PA speakers and pods over actual guitar amps and cabs and then say rp5's are pretty clean?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I picked up the KRK's because I got them $100 off and I didn't want to spend a whole lot as I use them mostly for amplitube. So I'm well aware that a sub will throw things off a bit for recording, so it's a good thing I don't really do any mixing or recording.

Yes, its mostly for movies, tv, gaming, and just listening to music as well as amplitube. If its too bassy, I'll switch off the sub either with a rack switcher with everything on it or just use a foot switch with the sub.

I'm just curious to know if the KRK sub is the best in the $400 range. I just wanted a comparison between that, the JBL down firing sub, yamaha hs8, and the presonus t10.
Quote by Spambot_2

They're expensive hi-fi speakers, not studio monitors.
Or you can spend the same amount of money and get a pair of JBL LSR305's, which reproduce the source material a ton more accurately.

I really don't understand, why do you advocate for the superiority of PA speakers and pods over actual guitar amps and cabs and then say rp5's are pretty clean?

Because I'm not using them as recording monitors. I use the Rokit 8's I have as small room nearfield output for modeled guitar (pods and an Axe-FX Ultra), bass and a Korg Kronos-X. What they provide is a very good match in my small-room environment for a decent PA system. The closest I come to using them for recording is for playback of the 16-track sequencer on the Korg.

The TS stated in his original post that he was looking for a decent sub to work with the Rokit 5's, and the 10S qualifies both in quality, output and price. He's also looking for something that will work with DVD/TV and other sources, but primarily for amplitube! In his case, they're not even "expensive" hi-fi speakers; he's saved $100 on the pair.

Honestly, I doubt I'd be working with recording monitors anywhere near this price range if I were getting critical about actual recording or mixing (I have too many friends with recording studios, experience and talent in their field to bother). But for the OP's application, those discounted Rokit 5's (which he's already got) are just peachy, and the 10S sub will work very well.