I am a relatively new player who has a mid-90s solidbody Epi SG that I like quite a bit, but I have a real interest in acquiring a used hollow body or semi-hollow body. After much consideration, I've narrowed it down to both the Dean Palomino and the Washburn HB35. Price is comparable (within $10). I like the look of both. Both are in the 8-10 years old range.

Can anyone who has played both or has experience with these brands give me some feedback as to quality? The Washburn has had an extensive neck repair, but played and felt fine in my hands (which is why I think the price is as low as it is). The Dean is big 40s/50s style monster. Thanks!

Budget: Under $450
Artists: Johnny Marr, Noel Gallagher, Bernard Sumner
Amp: Fender VibraChamp XD
Current Guitar: 1994 Epiphone Gibson G-400
Last edited by jpsesq33 at Apr 7, 2015,
Knowing nothing else, I'd lean towards the Dean over the repaired Washburn.

What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You need to decide if you want a full hollow singlecut jazz-box (Dean)
or an ES-335 type Semihollow....(Washburn)

I'm trying to keep it under $450. While I can spend more, I am a novice player still taking lessons and I am not about to go dropping $2500 on a Gibson. I guess for me -- if I like more rock or alt-rock and alt-country, am I better off pursuing a semi-hollow body like the Washburn or will I be ok with the Dean? Also, from a quality standpoint, I want something very solid and dependable. I guess if I default to which looks cooler to me, I would lean Dean, but I know the HB35 is something more guitarists I like play (of a Gibson version thereof...).
Look at Ibanez in the same price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Thanks for the links. Will definitely check out tonight. I've avoided purchasing online so far and scoured the stores in my area for deals which lead me to the Dean and the Washburn, but I am very open to other recommendations.