I'm looking for advice on the whether or not to learn common chord progressions. I've seen lists everywhere about how learning these progressions can help but from the standpoint of an original artist how can they help exactly?

And while we're at it, same thing with strum patterns.
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
You have posted a lot of threads asking about chords.

Knowing common chord progressions are useful because if you know them well, you will be able to recognize them instantly when you hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

Does it help with writing your own music? I don't know. Just use your ears and listen to the sounds you hear. But if you know some common chord progressions, it will be easier to recognize the chords you are hearing.

Same with "strumming patterns". Though I would just call them rhythms. There are certain "cliche" rhythms certain genres use. If you want to write in a certain style, it's good to know the cliches. Of course you don't have to know them, but it is easier to recognize them when you hear them if you already know them.

Just use your ears. Listen to music, learn it by ear, and you'll automatically learn about the cliches. You don't even need to focus on them to learn about them. Sometimes I listen to a song and some part just sounds familiar. Then I notice it uses the same old 4 chords as all the songs in the video I posted. Or maybe it uses a rhythm from another song. You just need to listen to a lot of music and you'll start recognizing these common practices. Use your ears.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Got it, thanks yet again
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!