Evening'
I've spend the evening looking at electric guitars, as I'm wanting to buy one. Thing is, I do now know what to look for! I've tried to search for some older threads, but I didn't really find anything! So here goes:

What guitar would do me good?
I've never had an electric guitar before, I have, however, played acoustic guitar for some years now!
Im into music such as: Seether, Nirvana, Lenny Kravitz, Santana - But also folk-rock stuff,

I have been looking at the Fender Modern Player; http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_modern_player_tele_plus_mn_ch.htm

I don't know if it will do me any good however? 320 pounds is my absolute budget as well, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit cheaper!

Cheers in advance!
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
I've heard mixed things about the Modern Players, more positive than negative though. My suggestion is go play a few and see what feels right to you. But if you're in a situation where you can't, I personally prefer the Classic Vibe 50's Tele that squire makes. It sounds amazing and from the type of music you said you like, I think it would be great. and it's only like $320 pounds? So the higher end of your budget but it would be worth it.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I wouldn't buy your first electric online. You need to play a few different ones so you know what feels right.

I think the Squier Classic Vibe series is a better bet than the Fender Modern Player. I have a few Teles, including an American Standard, and my Squier Classic Vibe Thinline Tele is my favourite to play! Its semihollow so its very light and the pickups are amazing.

Thats my two cents hope it helps.
Quote by AdamDCMA
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vintage_mod_jazzmaster_owt.htm
This guitar gets great reviews! Would it be stupid to get?

Nope, not stupid. The VM series Squiers are amazing guitars. I've owned both Squier and Fender guitars, currently own a Fender, and I very much love the VM series from Squier.

I've never owned/played one with P90 style pickups though, so I cannot speak to how well this will get those dirty Nirvana/Seether tones down. I think you'd wanna go with a humbucker in the bridge, but hey maybe I'm wrong about the P90. Someone should chime in
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Jazzmasters are pretty cool. They aren't P90s but they are single coil. I have had a Jazzmaster in the past and they have a pretty good range of tones.

There are plenty of great guitars in this price range so the best thing to do is to go to your local guitar store and play as many different guitars as the store will let you. A good store will respect you as a customer and not rush you to make a descision. Once you decide on a model, ask if they have a different model and give it a try. Not all guitars will feel the same...even if they are identical models.
Quote by BV-95
I've never owned/played one with P90 style pickups though, so I cannot speak to how well this will get those dirty Nirvana/Seether tones down. I think you'd wanna go with a humbucker in the bridge, but hey maybe I'm wrong about the P90. Someone should chime in

As ppiluk said, JMs aren't P-90s. Similar shape but somewhat different pickups; JMs generally have lower output and are twangier.

I love Jazzmasters, but you need to know what you're getting yourself into before you buy one, most importantly in terms of the bridge. In spite of the brand on the headstock, the Squier VM offsets are guitars for nerds on a budget, not electric guitar newbies, for want of a better term.

Personally I'd say if you're after a Jazzmaster but aren't willing to spend a while ironing out creases your best bet in that price range is to look for the Squier J Mascis model. A lot of people who aren't J Mascis fans have said good things about that instrument; as I understand it was quite popular because until a couple years ago it was the only thing south of £400 with a Fender Floating Tremolo. Anyway, that has the somewhat simpler Adjust-o-matic bridge, which is just an all-round easier piece of kit to work with than the Jazzmaster's own bridge. Just to **** things up a bit more, I read somewhere that the J Mascis JMs do have P-90s under those JM covers, though I don't know if that's actually the case.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 8, 2015,
Oh wow I feel stupid, sorry guys lol. I just took a good look at that guitar and went "Yup, P90." I assumed it was simply something from Squier's line that I hadn't played yet.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
Oh wow I feel stupid, sorry guys lol. I just took a good look at that guitar and went "Yup, P90." I assumed it was simply something from Squier's line that I hadn't played yet.

Dont feel stupid...I made the exact same mistake the first time I saw a Jazzmaster!
Quote by AdamDCMA

Good call, they're great pieces of kit (I bought one myself last month )

Like the Jazzmaster, there's a good chance you'll want to stick a Mustang bridge on it to deal with some of the issues that tend to plague the JM/Jag bridge, but that's like maybe 40-50€ and a direct drop-in.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Nice choice. Let me know how it plays. I might be in the market for a budget jazzmaster in the near future.
Hooper drives the boat chief...