Basically I play a lot of folk/country music and I just got myself a Peavey electric guitar which suits my sound well except for the neck pickup. Ideally I'd like to get a banjo-esque sound from it, could anyone help me out with any recommendations? As it seems i'm the only person looking to get this sound!

Thanks

Cal
I don't think pickups will give you a banjo sound. The sound of a banjo is largely based on the sound of the strings resonating on the banjo head/face (whatever it's called). It's an acoustic property not an electrical one so I can't imagine a pick up would make a Peavey or any guitar sound like a banjo. That's just my opinion.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 8, 2015,
If you get a chance, look up a Variax guitar. It uses a piezo pickup and electronically models a lot of guitars and a few other stringed instruments, including a banjo.
Random tip....

If you get a rizler packet (or anything a similar size) and place it under your strings between your bridge pickup and the guitars bridge on a strat so it just touches the strings you'll get a vague banjo sound. The strings are slightly muted and more percussive.

Amazing the random stuff you learn at uni

Give it a try
The sound of a banjo isn't so much from the string as the reverberation of it's sound off a drum head. You'd need a pickup like dpsellman said that's specifically meant to model that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Rickholly74
OK I'll bite. What is a "rizler packet"?

And you're a guitar player?
Quote by EyeballPaul
And you're a guitar player?

I know I am, and I've never heard of one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ah.

Well, my lungs are pink, my bloodwork clean.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just as a matter of pedantry: it's spelled rizla
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
everyone knows rizla > zig zags
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
OP try nashville tuning maybe the higher pitch would sound a little more banjo like.

oh and ez-widers for the win
Don't smoke, no opinion, but I can never resist a good opportunity to correct another human being
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I guess after 40 years of playing and too many years of smoking I'm not up on the latest expressions like "rizla". Thankfully I stopped being "too hip for the room" when I stopped doing a lot of other things I shouldn't have been doing. I didn't realize to be a guitar player you need to know about rolling papers. (I knew about such things years ago. I had a preference for Jobs Menthol rolling papers.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 9, 2015,
My apologies, I too don't smoke and hate poor grammar and spelling!

Rizla it is! They are also useful to raise the strings at the nut for some momentary slide playing. A technique thoroughly endorsed by Guthrie ;-)
^^ That's actually brilliant
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
^^ That's actually brilliant

It is if you've been smoking a lot of Rizla-wrapped herbs.

And while the Guthrie referred to in a previous post is probably rather more contemporary, this has been used since the time of Woodie Guthrie, who passed it on to all eight of his children, including Arlo.