Page 1 of 4
I need a solid state combo that I will use at home and gig. Mostly I play metal.
Which amp should I get/is better for me? Orange CR120C or Blackstar ID260 which of this are better and why?
As I know the Blackstar has so many effects and it can make almost any metal tone, is there a reason to pay more for the Orange combo when it doesn't have all these metal tones?

Thank you!

P.S. Please post here only about this two amp. Don't post anything like "You should get a tube" etc.
May I ask why you are limiting yourself to only those two?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
May I ask why you are limiting yourself to only those two?

I have excluded all other choices in my opinion. On my list I had Line 6 spider IV 150, Marshall MG102CFX, Line 6 amplifi 150 and fender champion 100.
And I am limited to solid states only because I can't really play with tube amp at hop, it is expensive, don't want wait when valves warming up. I play guitar for c.a. 5 years I played in a band but this is my first amp.
The whole story is little longer but it is enough
Quote by kenny95.95
I can't really play with tube amp at hop
If at hop means with the volume turned up then it doesn't matter really.

The fact that SS amps sound better than tube amps at lower volumes is a myth.

That myth comes from another misconception, which is that tube amps sound better when turned up.
That IS true, but the reason doesn't have anything to do with tubes - among the reasons are the facts that humans like everything louder (up to the point when it starts hurting our ears), the fletcher-munson curves, the fact that guitar speakers are heavy and "poor" from an engineering point of view, which basically means that they sound better when pushed.

All of that applies to tube amps, SS amps, hi-fi systems, a car audio system and everything else.
Quote by kenny95.95
it is expensive
There's plenty of very good sounding tube amps that can be had for cheap.

I paid my amp €95, and while it has close to no options for sound shaping it does sounds good.
Quote by kenny95.95
don't want wait when valves warming up.
This is debated.

I've never noticed my amp sounding better after a hour of playing.
But maybe that's just me.

In any case, a good amp will sound better than a bad amp even when the tubes aren't that hot.
Quote by kenny95.95
I play guitar for c.a. 5 years I played in a band but this is my first amp.
I suggest you follow the directions in this thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've never played an amp before (Solid State or Valve) because I live in Tajikistan and there is no music stores here. I plugged my guitar direct in the mixer with Distorion Pedal and now I play at home using Audio Interface and Amplitube 3. I have B.C. Rich Jr.V deluxe (Bought it when I were in USA). Soon I will go to Germany for studies and will live in Campus so Valves amps are heavy, they require taking care more than SS and for first amp I solid state is ok. I am not good at amps and solid state amp will satisfy my need until I understand what is the difference between tubes and SS amps. I downloaded 5150 preset for Amplitube (I used it in my cover https://soundcloud.com/nirvana-smells-like-teen-spirit-cover ) and it sounds awesome to me. If the Orange Combo or Blackstar will sound close to 5150 modulation I will be happy.
Last edited by kenny95.95 at May 4, 2015,
Quote by kenny95.95
I've never played an amp before (Solid State or Valve) because I live in Tajikistan and there is no music stores here. I plugged my guitar direct in the mixer with Distorion Pedal and now I play at home using Audio Interface and Amplitube 3. I have B.C. Rich Jr.V deluxe (Bought it when I were in USA). Soon I will go to Germany for studies and will live in Campus so Valves amps are heavy, they require taking care more than SS and for first amp I solid state is ok. I am not good at amps and solid state amp will satisfy my need until I understand what is the difference between tubes and SS amps. I downloaded 5150 preset for Amplitube (I used it in my cover https://soundcloud.com/zaur-tursoon-zadeh/nirvana-smells-like-teen-spirit-cover ) and it sounds awesome to me. If the Orange Combo or Blackstar will sound close to 5150 modulation I will be happy.

Fair enough. I quite honestly would suggest that you wait until you arrive in Germany to have a chance to play through a few guitar amps, save a bit more money and acquire a bit more knowledge first.

I recognize the desire to have an amp, but we really want to help you get the best setup possible within your budget.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Fair enough. I quite honestly would suggest that you wait until you arrive in Germany to have a chance to play through a few guitar amps, save a bit more money and acquire a bit more knowledge first.

I recognize the desire to have an amp, but we really want to help you get the best setup possible within your budget.

Of course I will play before buying but I don't have anybody to talk to about amps. I will like any amp but it doesn't mean that it is a good amp so I trust what people say. And now I need to know advantages and disadvantages about these amps. And what sounds can it make. I won't be able to make amp sounds as I want because I don't know how to tweak knobs really.
Nobody does when they start out! That's what guitar buddies and good salesmen are there for!

Where are you moving to in Germany? Perhaps one of the other UGers can help you find a good store where you will find a decent selection of amps AND good staff to help you find one that suits your needs & desires.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nobody does when they start out! That's what guitar buddies and good salesmen are there for!

Where are you moving to in Germany? Perhaps one of the other UGers can help you find a good store where you will find a decent selection of amps AND good staff to help you find one that suits your needs & desires.

Nobody in my country can help me with amps
I am going to Berlin for 4 months and then to Lippstadt for few years. I just need to know what people think about these two amps. They affordable, kind of portable for 2x12 and good quality I might be wrong.
Do you have an iOS device? If so, look into Positive Grid JamUp/Bias. Cool programs, very great sound.

Don't believe me? Listen to Conquering Dystopia. Recorded entirely with Positive Grid JamUp.

Of those amps, I would say the Blackstar ID is the best, but give the Peavey Vypyr a chance too!
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 8, 2015,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgrRg8DVBz4 here is a video Fluff playing CR120 head with cab. It sounds really metal to me! Just what I am chasing Unfortunately cabinet changes the sounds of the amp and I don't know how will speakers in combo sound. Will the combo of Orange CR120 sound like the head did in this video?
That amp sounds like absolute piss. If you are going to get a solid state amp, please consider the Peavey Vypyr. Its amp models are simply so much better.

EDIT: I just want you know that for literally half the price of that Orange CR120C, I was able to get a 6505+ combo amp used. If you're willing to drop 700 bucks on amp, definitely check out the used market in Germany once you arrive. Could probably find something epic.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
Do you have an iOS device? If so, look into Positive Grid JamUp/Bias. Cool programs, very great sound.

Don't believe me? Listen to Conquering Dystopia. Recorded entirely with Positive Grid JamUp.

Of those amps, I would say the Blackstar ID is the best, but give the Peavey Vypyr a chance too!

I do own Bias on my ipad. It sounds ok to me I found emultion of 5150 on it an it was allright (Probably because I can't EQ, choose valves etc) I prefer 5150 on Amplitube on my PC. But still where can I plug my Bias for rehearsal? I need an amp, don't I?
Peavey Vypyr is good, but I want 2x12.

P.S. sorry for not responding you right after your first massage, I was typing a massage about CR120 head
Quote by Arby911
Shipping would kill that deal.

It says 31.25 for shipping, and ships to "worldwide". I know Germany will charge him a customs fee for the shipping but how much could that honestly be? This dude is willing tp drop 700 dollars on a CR120C. 490 for the amp, 32 for shipping makes 522. As long as Germany's customs fee isn't above 178 dollars he is within budget on this amp.
Peavey 6505+ 112

I was wandering, Blackstar ID260 has a lot of tones but it is digital (People say that digital is meh) and the Orange uses analog something ;-). If I plug my iPad with Bias to Orange will it sound good? This way I will have analog something from the orange amp plus I will have digital emulation with my iPad or even Laptop with Aplitube. What do you think? Is it a good idea?
Quote by kenny95.95
I do own Bias on my ipad. It sounds ok to me I found emultion of 5150 on it an it was allright (Probably because I can't EQ, choose valves etc) I prefer 5150 on Amplitube on my PC. But still where can I plug my Bias for rehearsal? I need an amp, don't I?
That's because bias doesn't sound good.

Anyway if you want to use that at reharsals get an apogee jam or something of the sorts and plug the headphones output into a PA system/mixer/powered speaker.
Quote by kenny95.95
Peavey Vypyr is good, but I want 2x12.
So you don't want a tube amp 'cause it's heavier than a SS amp but you want something with a 2x12" instead of a 1x12".

Why?
Quote by BV-95
As long as Germany's customs fee isn't above 178 dollars he is within budget on this amp.
It will be around $120.

You can find that amp for less money in germany.
Or any other place in the EU really.
Quote by kenny95.95
I was wandering, Blackstar ID260 has a lot of tones but it is digital (People say that digital is meh) and the Orange uses analog something ;-).
Something doesn't sound automatically good because it uses a particular technology, something sounds good because it's designed good (is this the grammatically right way of saying it?).

The blackstar isn't worth the money it costs if ya ask me.
Quote by kenny95.95
If I plug my iPad with Bias to Orange will it sound good? This way I will have analog something from the orange amp plus I will have digital emulation with my iPad or even Laptop with Aplitube.
Adding something analog into a circuit doesn't make the whole thing sound good.

It's not a really good idea, you'd be over-complicating things and you wouldn't use all of the features of either product.

If you want an actual amp get an actual amp and use that, and if you want to keep using amp sims stick to them and get a couple of powered speakers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by BV-95
It says 31.25 for shipping, and ships to "worldwide". I know Germany will charge him a customs fee for the shipping but how much could that honestly be? This dude is willing tp drop 700 dollars on a CR120C. 490 for the amp, 32 for shipping makes 522. As long as Germany's customs fee isn't above 178 dollars he is within budget on this amp.

Scroll down the page, change the ship to country to Germany and click "get rates". Cheapest shipping is $165.36

I will say that it's vastly and overwhelmingly superior to what he's looking at now though, so it's likely worth it!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Scroll down the page, change the ship to country to Germany and click "get rates". Cheapest shipping is $165.36

I will say that it's vastly and overwhelmingly superior to what he's looking at now though, so it's likely worth it!

That 165 might be including the customs fee? Idk, I've never had to do international shipping.

But, as another user said, it can likely be gotten way cheaper once he actually arrives in Germany.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Well as I heared 2x12 gives more low and this is why I want 2x12, it it is not worth it I will add Peavey vypyr on list for debates. Acctualy I am chasing the 5150 sound that amplitube does.
Cool feature about Blackstar that I can plug my mp3 player or something and jam along. I won't have my KRKs in germany so feature with the backing track is good. I will go with tube amp if I would be able to use it at home and for rehearsal/gig. And I don't want used stuff.
I will pay 700 for the Orange if it is worth it.
In my opinion tubes sound too good for me yet. Now I can't say the difference that's is why having valves in amp is not important for me.
Quote by kenny95.95

It isn't.

If you're going after a 5150 tone, then just get a 6505+ 112 combo amp. It's literally the same amp as a 5150, they just had to rename it because Eddie Van Halen left Peavey.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses Orange CR120 combo, that is why I assumed that it can be a way to go, because he is professional
Quote by kenny95.95
Well as I heared 2x12 gives more low and this is why I want 2x12, it it is not worth it I will add Peavey vypyr on list for debates. Acctualy I am chasing the 5150 sound that amplitube does.
Cool feature about Blackstar that I can plug my mp3 player or something and jam along. I won't have my KRKs in germany so feature with the backing track is good. I will go with tube amp if I would be able to use it at home and for rehearsal/gig. And I don't want used stuff.
In my opinion tubes sound too good for me yet. Now I can't say the difference that's is why having valves in amp is not important for me.

Given that the Vypyr 60 (1x12) and 120 (2x12) have what is basically a 5150 tube power end driving the speaker(s), I'd say either would do you admirably. IMO, the 1x12 will give you all the low end you'll ever need.

311 is our resident Vypyr 60 expert, perhaps he'll chime in here.
Charles Darwin
Quote by kenny95.95
Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses Orange CR120 combo, that is why I assumed that it can be a way to go, because he is professional

He might use it for practice, but he most certainly does NOT use it on records or live. I don't even have to google it, I just know.

Fine, I just googled it. He uses Marshall JMP series amps and a Diezel VH4. When he WAS using Orange, he was using the Orange Thunderverb series amps, not the CR120.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
He might use it for practice, but he most certainly does NOT use it on records or live. I don't even have to google it, I just know.

Fine, I just googled it. He uses Marshall JMP series amps and a Diezel VH4. When he WAS using Orange, he was using the Orange Thunderverb series amps, not the CR120.

You can read in desription about CR120 and you can also see the amp on the left when he gives interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlljQfetFM
Quote by BV-95
It isn't.

If you're going after a 5150 tone, then just get a 6505+ 112 combo amp. It's literally the same amp as a 5150, they just had to rename it because Eddie Van Halen left Peavey.

music-store.de
This is a site where I would order from, vypyr is not there
If I ll oreder abroad it will cost me tones of money extra
Quote by kenny95.95
music-store.de

As we've noted above, even with shipping etc. it can be had within your budget once you're in Germany.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I quite honestly would suggest that you wait until you arrive in Germany...

This.

Not only will you be able get assistance, and shop a bigger selection of amps- head & cab or combo- you also won't have to transport it to Germany.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by kenny95.95
You can read in desription about CR120 and you can also see the amp on the left when he gives interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlljQfetFM

"His lap steel runs through an Orange CR120 combo"

Lap steel ("slide guitar"), not a regular electric. Pretty different instruments.

To me it feels like you are just trying to find excuses to buy the CR120. Buy it if you want it. It's your amp, your money. But if you come here asking for help, I think it's good to listen to people's advice. Otherwise this thread is pointless.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Arby911
As we've noted above, even with shipping etc. it can be had within your budget once you're in Germany.

Ok than.
Can anybody characterize amps (say about advantages and disadvantages) on the list and comment about each of them if you know. If you exlude the amp please say why.

Blackstar ID260
Orange CR120C
Line 6 Amplifi 150
Peavey Vypyr 100
Marshall MG102CFX
Fender Champion 100

I might have forger something
Quote by dannyalcatraz
This.

Not only will you be able get assistance, and shop a bigger selection of amps- head & cab or combo- you also won't have to transport it to Germany.

I am not going to buy an amp before going to Germany. I collect people opinions)
Quote by MaggaraMarine
"His lap steel runs through an Orange CR120 combo"

Lap steel ("slide guitar"), not a regular electric. Pretty different instruments.

To me it feels like you are just trying to find excuses to buy the CR120. Buy it if you want it. It's your amp, your money. But if you come here asking for help, I think it's good to listen to people's advice. Otherwise this thread is pointless.

Oh. That what "LAP" means!
Sorry, english is not my native language and google translated it as a lap like you run on stadion or something. My fault.
Well the orange was on the top because so many people said that it is worth it
Last edited by kenny95.95 at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by kenny95.95
music-store.de

Try Thomann.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by kenny95.95
Post here only about this two amp. Don't post anything like "You should get a tube" etc.

You came here asking for advice. We are telling you that the two amps you have picked out are bogus.

Even looking at just solid state amps, there are better choices.

Brent talk about the Marshall JMP and the Diezel VH4 he uses in that video.

Quote by kenny95.95
Ok than.
Can anybody characterize amps (say about advantages and disadvantages) on the list and comment about each of them if you know. If you exlude the amp please say why.

Blackstar ID260
Orange CR120C
Line 6 Amplifi 150
Peavey Vypyr 100
Marshall MG102CFX
Fender Champion 100

I might have forger something

Blackstar ID260

I have no personal experience with this amp but it sounds really good from what I've heard and listened to on youtube.

Orange CR120C

Sounds like a cat taking a shit.

Line 6 Amplifi 150

No input on this one.

Peavey Vypyr 100

Very good amp models and very good value. Look into the Tube 60/120 if you can, though.

Marshall MG102CFX

I've owned an MG. Complete ass.

Fender Champion 100

Again, no input on this as I've never tried it, but I can't imagine a Fender being voiced anything close to a 5150.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95

You came here asking for advice. We are telling you that the two amps you have picked out are bogus.

Blackstar ID260

I have no personal experience with this amp but it sounds really good from what I've heard and listened to on youtube.

Orange CR120C

Line 6 Amplifi 150

No input on this one.

Peavey Vypyr 100

Very good amp models and very good value. Look into the Tube 60/120 if you can, though.

Marshall MG102CFX

Fender Champion 100

Again, no input on this as I've never tried it, but I can't imagine a Fender being voiced anything close to a 5150.

I am doing this research about ss for a while. I ve excluded many amps (based on people's review) so these are two best solid state amps!
^ Do what?

What reviews? You generally cannot trust 'official reviews' on web sites that sell stuff.

Those are not the best 2 SS amps. Not sure where you are doing your research.

Listen to the people here on UG, in particular BV-95 and Arby.

Quote by BV-95

Blackstar ID260

Orange CR120C

Line 6 Amplifi 150

No input on this one.

Peavey Vypyr 100

Marshall MG102CFX

Fender Champion 100

Big Fat +1

I can highly recommend the Vypyrs.

I wouldn't buy a Blackstar amp if you paid me.

The Amplifi might be cool but I've never played one.

The MG is junk.

The Champ is not the right fit for what you play.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Do what?

What reviews? You generally cannot trust 'official reviews' on web sites that sell stuff.

Those are not the best 2 SS amps. Not sure where you are doing your research.

Listen to the people here on UG, in particular BV-95 and Arby.

Big Fat +1

I can highly recommend the Vypyrs.

I wouldn't buy a Blackstar amp if you paid me.

The Amplifi might be cool but I've never played one.

The MG is junk.

The Champ is not the right fit for what you play.

"Big Fat + 1" is about which amp?
Why wouldn't you buy The Blackstar?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I meant +1 to his entire post.

If it is not clear, the amp of choice out of what you listed is the Vypyr.

I wouldn't buy a Blackstar because I consider the owners of the company to be liars.

Some people in their reviews Wright that the vypyr sounds muddy as line 6 spider IV when it on high volumes. That is why I ve excluded vypyr long time ago.

I e-mailed sweetwater and they suggested me the Blackstar that wasn't even on my list. So added it her for debates.
Last edited by kenny95.95 at Apr 8, 2015,
Page 1 of 4