...and put a Gibson in my hands and actually got to PLAY it for several minutes before having to put it down. I cannot BELIEVE what I have been missing out on. My opinion on the Les Paul body shape has been tainted by the Epiphone's I have gotten used to. They don't even compare. This guitar felt great to play all of my favorite riffs/riffs I have written, and it sounded really warm and resonant even when playing unplugged (probably that mahogany talking to me). It was a 2014 Gibson LPJ for only $600, I'm seriously considering picking it up very soon. I just wish there was a way for me to try out that Agile AL3010, which is half the cost, to see how it would compare.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Gibsons are weird like that. They make dogs, but every so often they make a guitar that feels incredible to play and you know you'll deeply regret not getting it.

If you really got a lot of enjoyment out of the guitar, then buy it. Its better going for what feels right rather than not, just because an alternative seemed more logical at the time. Keep your options as open as possible though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Gibsons are weird like that. They make dogs, but every so often they make a guitar that feels incredible to play and you know you'll deeply regret not getting it.

If you really got a lot of enjoyment out of the guitar, then buy it.

this. That's how I ended up with my Gibson LP studio faded that I played in my local shop "for teh lulz" expecting it to suck based on that particular model's reputation. Still one of the best playing guitars I own.

but it's important to make sure you can buy the exact guitar you played if that's the one you liked - even if it is the floor model. a "fresh" one taken from the stock room probably won't be the same.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by BV-95
...and put a Gibson in my hands and actually got to PLAY it for several minutes before having to put it down. I cannot BELIEVE what I have been missing out on. My opinion on the Les Paul body shape has been tainted by the Epiphone's I have gotten used to. They don't even compare. This guitar felt great to play all of my favorite riffs/riffs I have written, and it sounded really warm and resonant even when playing unplugged (probably that mahogany talking to me). It was a 2014 Gibson LPJ for only $600, I'm seriously considering picking it up very soon. I just wish there was a way for me to try out that Agile AL3010, which is half the cost, to see how it would compare.

play something like a LP Standard and then come back and report. sorry i thought the J series guitars were just really cheap feeling let downs. if you like it though then go for it. i'll bet with a good setup that the agile will be just as good if not better.
Yeah I agree with toodeepblue and its also how I ended up with my Gibson.

But really this can be true of any company. Sometimes a guitar you dont think youll like blows you away. Thats why for me the individual guitar is more important than the name on the headstock.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
go back and buy that guitar right now.

then you have 30 days to decide whether you want to keep or return it.

but if you go back and it's not there, you're screwed.

don't read another post, drive.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
go back and buy that guitar right now.

then you have 30 days to decide whether you want to keep or return it.

but if you go back and it's not there, you're screwed.

don't read another post, drive.

If only I had 600 dollars in my pocket

Although, I guess I'd only need 150 to put it on layaway.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by monwobobbo
play something like a LP Standard and then come back and report. sorry i thought the J series guitars were just really cheap feeling let downs. if you like it though then go for it. i'll bet with a good setup that the agile will be just as good if not better.

I agree standards are going to be much nicer in general, but the J's I kind of lump in the category with the old faded models as far as the thin skin satin finish. That said, the faded V I had years ago DID resonate amazingly and a bit more markedly than the standard V I ended up keeping. So objectively, I can see why a lower end model than a standard would still seem pretty rad. I'd take a standard every time though, given the choice. Better pickups, better aesthetics, more attention to detail, etc.
Quote by Hydra26
I agree standards are going to be much nicer in general, but the J's I kind of lump in the category with the old faded models as far as the thin skin satin finish. That said, the faded V I had years ago DID resonate amazingly and a bit more markedly than the standard V I ended up keeping. So objectively, I can see why a lower end model than a standard would still seem pretty rad. I'd take a standard every time though, given the choice. Better pickups, better aesthetics, more attention to detail, etc.

the Faded models were better quality than that sorry as J series. those were just dirt cheap "hey it's made in america" so it must be good guitars. i just found that the guitars i tried felt cheap and looked cheap. but hey to each his own they sold ok i guess but did get discontinued pretty quick.
as much praise as I can sing about the agile ALs, nothing beats trying an axe before you buy and realizing that you love that one. theres no shame in buying a gibby over an agile whatever you end up with, I hope it works out for ya!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Apr 9, 2015,
My personal opinion is that the J in LPJ stands for JUNQUE. It's the cheapest guitar Gibson could produce and the cost cutting is pretty obvious. I've got a stack of Gibsons and appreciate them. I've also got four Agiles and half a dozen (sorry, actually seven) Carvins. I've looked at a number of LPJs and wouldn't touch one (this should get some flames from current owners). Gibson has discontinued them for a reason.
Rondo seems to have a pretty good return policy. I'm gonna go with the AL3010, its half the price. If I don't completely love it, I'll return it and save up for the lpj.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by dspellman
My personal opinion is that the J in LPJ stands for JUNQUE. It's the cheapest guitar Gibson could produce and the cost cutting is pretty obvious. I've got a stack of Gibsons and appreciate them. I've also got four Agiles and half a dozen (sorry, actually seven) Carvins. I've looked at a number of LPJs and wouldn't touch one (this should get some flames from current owners). Gibson has discontinued them for a reason.

yeah well maybe he found THE good one.

the sun shines on a dog's ars once a day or something along those lines.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd give the Agile a try in your situation. They have built a reputation on quality instruments with great customer service and happen to be very affordable on top of it. Having a good online reputation these days is saying something!

I was going to pick one up until the Eclipse fell into my lap from a contest. . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
the Faded models were better quality than that sorry as J series. those were just dirt cheap "hey it's made in america" so it must be good guitars. i just found that the guitars i tried felt cheap and looked cheap. but hey to each his own they sold ok i guess but did get discontinued pretty quick.

Definitely agree. They even did an LP Standard Faded, so to compare the Fadeds (which were the same as the standard models they were based on, except for the finish) with the J-series which was a separate series entirely, with different pickups, tuners etc. just make no sense.

My Standard Faded LP is an awesome Les Paul, and I think the same of my friend's SG Special Faded. Sure, I hate how they look, but crap guitars? Nah. That LP won me over despite that it has the ugliest looking lemon burst I have ever seen, with an almost non-existent figuring.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
This is why you can't go to GC when you want to buy a guitar. You end up finding far too many options to choose from and by the time you leave you're in love with like 5 new ones.=D
Quote by GraceByDeath
This is why you can't go to GC when you want to buy a guitar. You end up finding far too many options to choose from and by the time you leave you're in love with like 5 new ones.=D

and this is bad because? options are a good thing.
Quote by monwobobbo

Never played one. Only seen them in media. Did own that faded V and still have a robot Jr with a faded finish though. Can you give me some specific comparisons to how they're worse than a faded (in this case, I guess a faded studio might be the closest)? I'm curious now.

I figured they got discontinued because they were priced too low for this year's "let's make them even more elitist and hike prices again" marketing plan.
Quote by Hydra26
Never played one. Only seen them in media. Did own that faded V and still have a robot Jr with a faded finish though. Can you give me some specific comparisons to how they're worse than a faded (in this case, I guess a faded studio might be the closest)? I'm curious now.

I figured they got discontinued because they were priced too low for this year's "let's make them even more elitist and hike prices again" marketing plan.

well i guess you really just have to hold one to understand. the feel wasn't good. the finish was almost non existent and it looked it. the wood looked cheap and felt that way. i mean really like i said the guitar was made as cheaply as possible but you could still say Made In US. they just seemed to lack the quality that a Gibson should have. i'll admit that the Sg's were a little better than the LPs but i still wouldn't buy one.

not the worst guitars i've ever tried or anything just not up to standard that a Gibson should have.
I managed to pick up an LPJ from their first model year for $500 that just had a few little marks on it from being a floor model. Quite the acquisition! Stars align once in a while.