Hello,

I have a Epi Sheraton II and would like to get the Gibson 335 sound.

I see lots of Gibson p/us available (like a 500T/498 pair for under $100)

What do you suggest I use in this guitar?

What is the difference between all the Gibson brand Les Paul and 335 type (chrome covered) pick ups that are out there?

It may be a bigger deal than I would imagine; your thoughts appreciated.

I am also guessing that the main differences between the Epi guitar and the Gibson are due to the pickups. Is that right? Am I best to just leave it as it is?

thanks!
Quote by bruce em
I have a Epi Sheraton II and would like to get the Gibson 335 sound.

I see lots of Gibson p/us available (like a 500T/498 pair for under $100)

What do you suggest I use in this guitar?

500T/498R set are not a classic 335 set. The type of Gibson pickups that you can find cheap online tend to be the ones that aren't particularly good, especially in 335s. The 490/498/500 type pickups are good in solidbodies for heavier styles, but probably not for what you want. 57 Classics are decent and can sometimes be found cheap online.

Something like the Duncan 59 or Alnico II Pro set would be great. I would strongly suggest getting a non-Gibson set, you're going to have a lot more options and in general the quality will be higher at the same price.
I am also guessing that the main differences between the Epi guitar and the Gibson are due to the pickups. Is that right? Am I best to just leave it as it is?

Not really, no. There are a lot of differences between Epi and Gibson 335s. Pickups are only one part, and they make a big difference but you are not going to magically turn your Epi into a Gibson with pickups. That said, I'd still suggest the upgrade. An Epi with good pickups is a great instrument. Comparing it with a Gibson isn't usually productive. If you want a Gibson, get a Gibson. It seems, though, that you've never actually played a Gibson 335 - instead of chasing something you're not familiar with, focus on maximizing what you have.

We get a lot of people asking this kind of question - "I have an Epi, how do I turn it into a Gibson?" and the answer is that you don't. If you've never even played a Gibson, it just turns into spending a lot of money chasing this imaginary ideal of what a Gibson is. Gibson pickups and hardware don't automatically make a guitar great for your needs, or even necessarily a good guitar. Meet your own specific needs with upgrades, don't concern yourself with turning your guitar into a Gibson.
First off wee need more information. Style of Music, Budget, Location, Current AMP, ect...

am also guessing that the main differences between the Epi guitar and the Gibson are due to the pickups. Is that right? Am I best to just leave it as it is?

The Gibson sounds like the Gibson because of the materials used, pickups are a very small piece.

For what you're after i'd stay away from Gibson branded pups.

You can get nicer PAF style pickups for less.

i'd look into DiMarzio 36 Annies or Seymour Duncan Seth Lover's.

If you want some more kick in the bridge a Whole Lotta Humbucker or even an English-mounted PowerTron plus would sound nice.

If you want something still vintage-esque but a little different than the standard, Look in to Tv Jones Classic. Im picking up a Set of Their T-armonds for my Sheraton soon myself.

'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I HAD a 1982 ES 335 but I didn't like the color and since it sounded much like my SG, I let it go , years ago.

Playing different models now , it SEEMS like 335s and 135s are similar with a warm sound and the Epi's are brighter with less bass. Maybe their woods are harder than the Gibson ? Is that off base?

Thanks for the p/u advice; will look around.
Quote by bruce em
I HAD a 1982 ES 335 but I didn't like the color and since it sounded much like my SG, I let it go , years ago.

Playing different models now , it SEEMS like 335s and 135s are similar with a warm sound and the Epi's are brighter with less bass. Maybe their woods are harder than the Gibson ? Is that off base?

Thanks for the p/u advice; will look around.

different is more like it. woods aren't exactly the same and the epi wood will be cheaper and not really mahogany in a true sense. the pickups of course are different as well.

what kind of tone are you looking for. as mentioned there are other pickup brands that may do better for you and be more affordable on top of it. dimarzio PAFs sound great in es-335s
57 Classics are possibly the best Gibson pups imo
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?