Hello, I have a couple questions regarding the Timmy and FD2 mosfet.
First off, I am starting to get together my first pedalboard, and I have heard that when many people first start buying pedals, they will get gain pedals that are "too similar" and not end up getting many tones out of them (I guess an example would be maybe somebody who bought a tubescreamer, and then some TS clone of some sort). Anyways, I understand its good to get two gain pedals that sound different enough, so there is a wide range of tone. However, I do know that some pedals just don't work with each other well, and others just don't sound good with the amp. What I have now is a Paul C Timmy, going into an AC15. I am looking into a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet right now. Are these pedals really "similar" sound, or are they going to give a good tone when paired? Also, do you know if they go well together, and if the fulldrive pairs well with the Vox?

Thanks guys, all answers are much appreciated!
if i were after 2 different sounds i'd be more inclined to get say an overdrive and a fuzz. overdrives tend to have more similarities than differences if you ask me. sure one might have a mid hump and one might have a little more treble but they all kinda do the same thing. (for the record i have 3 tubescreamer style pedals and they all can get some fairly diffeent tones)
If you've listened to a bunch of clips online and like how the FD2 sounds, I'd suggest grabbing a used one (probably on the Gear Page). It's pretty easy to sell pedals like the Timmy and the RD2 for no loss (minus shipping) on TGP so you can flip either one if it turns out you don't need both. I haven't played both pedals at the same time but my best guess is that they'd work together pretty well.

Note: this is the guitarist's version of freebasing and is a dangerous and totally fun habit to get into.
Quote by Roc8995
If you've listened to a bunch of clips online and like how the FD2 sounds, I'd suggest grabbing a used one (probably on the Gear Page). It's pretty easy to sell pedals like the Timmy and the RD2 for no loss (minus shipping) on TGP so you can flip either one if it turns out you don't need both. I haven't played both pedals at the same time but my best guess is that they'd work together pretty well.

Note: this is the guitarist's version of freebasing and is a dangerous and totally fun habit to get into.

another guitar player lost in the haze of buying overdrives the addiction that never ends.
I've got an AC30, and while I realize that it and the AC15 sound different, well...here is my list of Overdrives:
TS 808 RI
TS9DX
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET

For me, the FD2 slays both tubescreamers.
I use the FD2 FAR more often than I do the tubescreamers.
I've got all my overdrives set up with different gain levels. The gain on my FD2 is maxed.
Most often though, I use the one of the TS pedals to push my Zvex Box Of Rock or the FD2.

I've never tried the Timmy, but I would really like to one day.
I have heard that it works well with both the AC15 and the AC30.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
if i were after 2 different sounds i'd be more inclined to get say an overdrive and a fuzz. overdrives tend to have more similarities than differences if you ask me. sure one might have a mid hump and one might have a little more treble but they all kinda do the same thing. (for the record i have 3 tubescreamer style pedals and they all can get some fairly diffeent tones)

I see. I forgot to mention, I will be playing mostly in a worship band, so I am not positive how fuzz would fit in
Quote by Roc8995

got it.. i checked out some demos w/ the clipping options and it seems fairly diverse. Thx!
Quote by CodeMonk
I've got an AC30, and while I realize that it and the AC15 sound different, well...here is my list of Overdrives:
TS 808 RI
TS9DX
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET

For me, the FD2 slays both tubescreamers.
I use the FD2 FAR more often than I do the tubescreamers.
I've got all my overdrives set up with different gain levels. The gain on my FD2 is maxed.
Most often though, I use the one of the TS pedals to push my Zvex Box Of Rock or the FD2.

I've never tried the Timmy, but I would really like to one day.
I have heard that it works well with both the AC15 and the AC30.

Good to know!
Also, I am pretty sure the ac15 and ac30 will sound almost identical (except for the fact that the 30 has more headroom + two speakers). You should definitely try out the timmy with your AC30 though. It has very good tone with the Vox, and the bass and treble controls keep away the muddy low end and "ice pick highs" if used right.
For a bit extra versatility, you may want to check out the FD-3.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
assuming the fulldrive is broadly in the tubescreamer/sd1 camp (i haven't tried it) and assuming my danelectro clone is indicative of how the "real" timmy sounds, i'd say they sound different enough, as overdrives go, to justify both.

if you want a highly qualified statement with tons of caveats, i'm your man
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FD3 has a wide asymmetrical clipping mode that's supposed to be more transparent than the FD2. If the FD2 is a TS9 on steroids, that would mean that the FD3 on wide asym mode is also more transparent than a TS9.

I wasn't able to directly compare the FD3 and FD2, but I can say that 90's mode vs. wide asym mode has a reasonable difference. 90's mode sounds like an FD2 with the mids and coloration.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band