Hello guys,

So, at the moment I'm just running guitar (American Standard Telecaster) through my amp (Bugera V22). I'd really like some pedals to go with these just to spice the tone up. However, I am pretty set on a loop pedal, and looking at my budget and reviews, I saw that the Digitech JamMan Express XT is a decent choice. My final pedal, I'm thinking of maybe an OD pedal. I've seen reviews for various pedals and I've got it down to these:

Boss Blues Driver
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez TS Mini

What do you guys think of these/what are your other recommendations for a pedal around the £50 mark?

Much appreciated.
For the price the Digitech Screamin blues is pretty nice and it has a treble and bass knob

Tonerider makes some decent pedals for the price in the UK

And get a delay or reverb
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 8, 2015,
Bad Monkey is usually a good choice as it also has seperate bass and treble controls. you can't go wrong with a tubescreamer either. the boss pedal has it's fans as well but i prefer tubescreamer style myself. what kind of blues tones are you going after?
Quote by monwobobbo
Bad Monkey is usually a good choice as it also has seperate bass and treble controls. you can't go wrong with a tubescreamer either. the boss pedal has it's fans as well but i prefer tubescreamer style myself. what kind of blues tones are you going after?

Ooo, well that'll have to be Mayer trio era, maybe some Srv, hendrix. That sort of scene.
Look into a EHX soul food!

If you can save up some the WILSON effects Stoned Grasshopper or The EHX Turnip greens can give you most of your blue tones.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Bad Monkey and Boss SD-1. The BM is warm and very smooth, the SD-1 has asymmetric clipping that gives a harder, more chimey kind of OD. I have both, plus a BD-2 and a couple of others, and those two are my favourites to cover a range of OD sounds. The BM also works well as a booster, and the two tone controls are useful.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
Bad Monkey and Boss SD-1. The BM is warm and very smooth, the SD-1 has asymmetric clipping that gives a harder, more chimey kind of OD. I have both, plus a BD-2 and a couple of others, and those two are my favourites to cover a range of OD sounds. The BM also works well as a booster, and the two tone controls are useful.

These are 2 really good choices IMO.
Kinda like 2 sides of the same coin kinda thing.
They are different from each other but in that price range, both do what they do quite for the well I think.
The Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde OD/Dist serves up a lot of blues/classic rock/hard rock tones depending on how you use the controls, and is built like a tank.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 8, 2015,
I really like both the Blues Driver and a TS9 for blues. I don't know much about the TS mini though. Depending on the style or sounds you like, both can be very good. The blues driver is a bit smoother, without the mid hump of the TS9. However, if you like more aggressive blues, like SRV, then the TS9 is a very good pedal.

You can get good deals used though, I've gotten both of mine for $50CAD
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Quote by GrittyBlues
Ooo, well that'll have to be Mayer trio era, maybe some Srv, hendrix. That sort of scene.

ok then you'll need a tubescreamer style overdrive (bad monkey or an actual ts) and a fuzzface. Meyer i believe uses a Klon which the EH Soul Food is supposed to sound like. any way you look at it this goes back to what i said overdrive and fuzz.
Quote by Tony Done

+1, the Blues Driver is a great pedal too, but you could probably score both an SD-1 and the BM for the price of the Blues Driver. Imo, an SD1 and BM combo is an excellent, efficient way to start with overdrives.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks for the replies. I've seen a lot of suggestions for the BM + SD-1 combo. However, I've had a listen to the SF and it's sounds pretty damn good. Kind of split! SF = the price of BM & SD-1 however.
screamin blues is basically a glorified blues driver, so if you're on a budget the digitech version is one third of the price, plus you have a bass knob which is fairly handy.

screamin blues, bad monkey, sd1, hardwire od, visual sound route 808, soul food are all pretty good around the £50 or less mark. just depends on which you like best, or which stack well if you plan to use more than one at once.

does your amp have reverb built-in? if so and it sounds good, no worries. but if you don't i'd consider getting a reverb pedal.

i don't think the toneriders are really available any more in the UK rob (apart from the delay maybe).

^ you could possibly argue that the sd1 and bad monkey sound similar enough that you could make do with one. they do sound a bit different (sd1 is edgier, BM is smoother) but they're in the same ballpark.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
screamin blues is basically a glorified blues driver, so if you're on a budget the digitech version is one third of the price, plus you have a bass knob which is fairly handy.

screamin blues, bad monkey, sd1, hardwire od, visual sound route 808, soul food are all pretty good around the £50 or less mark. just depends on which you like best, or which stack well if you plan to use more than one at once.

does your amp have reverb built-in? if so and it sounds good, no worries. but if you don't i'd consider getting a reverb pedal.

i don't think the toneriders are really available any more in the UK rob (apart from the delay maybe).

^ you could possibly argue that the sd1 and bad monkey sound similar enough that you could make do with one. they do sound a bit different (sd1 is edgier, BM is smoother) but they're in the same ballpark.

At the moment I think I'll keep it simple and add later, having a looper will be fun, playing the rhythm and soloing over the top so I'm going to go for the JamMan Express XT coupled with the Soul Food.

What do you think?
Last edited by GrittyBlues at Apr 9, 2015,
Sounds good to me.

For Hendrix you're gonna want a fuzzier sound though.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I have to say Mayer is probably my favorite artist, so the Fuzz can wait a few weeks .
Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS808)

Joyo Voodoo Octave (Fulltone Ultimate Octave)

Money left over for beer!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I just came in here to post check out Joyo. . . .

Arby beat me to it.

You can also check out Joyo's Ironman Blue Rain coupled with their Pipe Bomb Compressor. There's a decent video review of the Pipe Bomb and they use the Blue Rain to show it off - it may be close to the blues sound you want. They're cheap too. . . . Imported from China so check your build quality within the return window.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by GrittyBlues
At the moment I think I'll keep it simple and add later, having a looper will be fun, playing the rhythm and soloing over the top so I'm going to go for the JamMan Express XT coupled with the Soul Food.

What do you think?

it's up to you, really

as they said, hendrix is probably fuzz face (most of the time)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?