Hi guys

I play mostly electric guitar, but lately have been playing a lot of acoustic. I would like to get a cheap soundhole pickup, so that I can plug it into a looper pedal and jam with it. However, will the pickup be able to pick up percussive stuff? Like playing drums on the body?

Thanks
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
No. You're going to need an internal mic to do that, and they aren't cheap. If you want a soundhole pickup with it, I recommend the Fishman Rare Earth Blend (around US$300, got mine for $400 here in Australia), it's an internal mic and soundhole magnetic pickup. There are other brands that include mic options (Mimesis, LRbaggs, K&K etc) but they're all going to be around the US$300 mark.

Now another option is to get a soundboard transducer (Andy Mckee uses the K&K pure mini, and he does some percussive stuff), and they can pick up SOME percussion. Depending on where you hit the guitar, it'll be a lot quieter than with the mic. You can get fairly cheap transducers, but chances are the cheaper you go, the less audible your percussion will be. Petteri Sariola uses a magnetic pickup and a cheap transducer, however when playing live it's difficult to hear over the guitar, and it'll probably be the same for you, unless you hit the guitar hard (which is not recommended) and even then, he hits the guitar close to the transducer, so if you were to hit it say on the bout, it'd be quieter.
Here's a clip of what it sounds like, as you can it's very quite, and the audible hits are either directly above the transducer, or hitting the strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZO3MuUF-3U
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Apr 9, 2015,
Most soundhole pickups aren't very good at picking up body sounds, but some such as the Baggs M1 and M80 are designed for it. The reason they are like this is because they are supposed to sound more like an acoustic guitar than a traditional soundhole pickup does, and this is certainly true. - I have one on my old Gibson. You shouldn't need an internal microphone if you use one of these.
Quote by Tony Done
Most soundhole pickups aren't very good at picking up body sounds, but some such as the Baggs M1 and M80 are designed for it. The reason they are like this is because they are supposed to sound more like an acoustic guitar than a traditional soundhole pickup does, and this is certainly true. - I have one on my old Gibson. You shouldn't need an internal microphone if you use one of these.

They sound pretty good actually, was surprised. Though if I were OP I'd go with the M1, as the m80 is only $50 less than most pickups with mics, which sound more acoustic like and pick up more percussion. The M1 seems like a better deal in terms of price, being $140. The m80 also sounds a bit too electric, but that's just me.