I recently got a Line 6 POD HD500X to use for playing quietly in my apartment and recording. While I can get some great tones out of it, I've run into a problem when I try to record. There is something incompatible with the Line 6 ASIO driver that the HD uses and Windows 8 which causes my computer to crash when I use it in Reaper or Ableton (which is a common problem and Line 6 still has yet to do anything about it). Anyway, I'm thinking that a good solution would be to simply run my HD through a USB audio interface into my computer. My questions are:

1. Would it be better to use the SPDIF out on my HD or just go balanced out into an interface?
2. Based on the answer to the first question, what would be a good USB interface / external sound card in the $50 - $150 range to suit my needs?

From the research I've done so far, it seems that using SPDIF would be the best option to avoid unnecessary AD / DA conversions. If that's true, I'm looking at the M-Audio M-Track Plus interface.

What are everyone else's suggestions?
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
1. Use the balanced out.

2. Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Do NOT get ANY M Audio interface. They are ****ing rubbish.

I've owned M Audio interfaces and Focusrite interfaces. Please believe. Go with focusrite.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
What would you say the advantages to using the balanced out are? All I've seen previously is people advocating the use of SPDIF, so I'm interested in hearing the benefits of the other side.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Because then you can just use an XLR cable to go from the output of your HD500X instead of having to get an adapter to go from SPDIF to the XLR/TRS inputs on your interface.

The 2i4 has direct monitoring. You don't have to worry about software monitoring, and even if you did its only a problem if your CPU is rubbish.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I have a Pod X3 Live and started using its direct outs into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 after Line 6 dropped driver support for the X3 series after OS X Yosemite was released. Direct monitoring is definitely a nice plus with this setup. I am sacrificing 2 inputs on my interface doing it this way, but I still have six more which is plenty for me. If I am recording drums, I just unplug my POD if I need the extra inputs.

I started a Line 6 thread about the X3 driver problems a while ago and only after many MANY people angrily replied did Line 6 begin to address the issue (but it is still not completely resolved.) I am not surprised to see that they are also screwing over the HD customers.
Thanks for the responses guys, it's looking like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 is just what I need. As for Line 6 and their driver issues, I was surprised that these problems were happening given that the HD500X is one of their newer products and Windows 8 was released before it was. Plus, it's not just not working, its actually crashing the OS! IMO, the team that did that driver probably shouldn't have jobs anymore /rant
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Get the 2i4. It has an input pad to prevent clipping
Peavey 6505+ 112

I'd much rather try and re-install the drivers.
Quote by BV-95
2. Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
For recording something with a digital out you may prefer using digital i/o only to avoid passing through bad sounding pre's and converters, so I'd rather get an interface with either S/PDIF or ADAT.
Quote by BV-95
Do NOT get ANY M Audio interface. They are ****ing rubbish.
More or less.

The small ones suck pretty bad, but the profire's don't suck nearly as much.
They're quite usable actually.
Quote by --{matt}--
What would you say the advantages to using the balanced out are? All I've seen previously is people advocating the use of SPDIF, so I'm interested in hearing the benefits of the other side.

Quote by BV-95
Because then you can just use an XLR cable to go from the output of your HD500X instead of having to get an adapter to go from SPDIF to the XLR/TRS inputs on your interface.
The advantage of a bal line compared to an unbal line doesn't have anything to do with this actually.

To put it simply, in an unbal line you have 2 conductors, one in which the signal passes and one in which the voltage remains 0, and that picks up a certain amount of noise that ends up in your recording.

In a bal line you have three conductors - one for the signal, one for the signal with reversed polarity, and one for the ground (voltage remains 0), and when the cable picks up noise the noise ends up in both signals (normal and reversed polarity), and when the two signals gets subtracted (or summed reversing the polarity of one, however you prefer to view it) the noise ends up canceled.

For a more in-depth explanation look up "balanced line" on wikipedia.

Then, S/PDIF is a digital interface, while 1/4" jacks and XLR connectors are used to carry analog signals, so there really isn't a cable that goes from 1/4/XLR to S/PDIF or vice versa.
You might find digital interfaces in small boxes but they would still require current to work and cheap ones would unavoidably sound bad, so I recommend not even thinking about such stuff.

TS, in this situation using digital interfaces only (so like S/PDIF only) is the best solution and there would be no advantages in converting the audio from digital (pod) to analog (pod's line out) to digital back again (interface's input).
Quote by BV-95
You don't have to worry about software monitoring
Unless you want to listen to the tracks you're recording the guitar parts over, that is.
Quote by BV-95
Get the 2i4. It has an input pad to prevent clipping
In that range of interfaces that one is a problem only if you want to record direct hi-z signals, so for example if you wanna plug a direct guitar into it, which I guess TS wouldn't do 'cause he says he'd be using his pod.

I'd either save money and get a very simple interface with an S/PDIF input or get a nice sounding interface, say a mackie onyx blackjack.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
over a short distance run the spdif wont give the noise issues associated with an unbalanced signal.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Over whatever distance run, short or long, the S/PDIF won't add any noise.

That though still isn't the biggest advantage - if you use the S/PDIF interface you avoid having your signal being converted to analog from the pod and back to digital from the interface, and not the pod's nor the interface's converters are good enough not to want to bypass them in this situation.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by --{matt}--
Thanks for the responses guys, it's looking like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 is just what I need. As for Line 6 and their driver issues, I was surprised that these problems were happening given that the HD500X is one of their newer products and Windows 8 was released before it was. Plus, it's not just not working, its actually crashing the OS! IMO, the team that did that driver probably shouldn't have jobs anymore /rant

Yeah, my POD was crashing my Mac OS as well. Monkey won't open either. I definitely agree with you, I was considering upgrading to the HD 500X but I'm ditching Line 6, especially that I hear now that even their current flagship products are experiencing the same neglect.

Edit: After reading over this thread, you guys have got me interested in S/PDIF. I am not very familiar with it other than the fact that it is a digital medium. So does this means that only the 1's and 0's that reproduce the sound is transferred along the cable? My interface has a S/PDIF input, would I benefit from connecting my POD this way as well? I had no idea that all of the extra digital to analog conversion was going on based on the way I have my setup connected
Last edited by chronic_stp at Apr 9, 2015,
Quote by chronic_stp
So does this means that only the 1's and 0's that reproduce the sound is transferred along the cable?
Yes.

That's an equivalent of saying that S/PDIF is a digital interface.
Only 0's and 1's.
Quote by chronic_stp
My interface has a S/PDIF input, would I benefit from connecting my POD this way as well?
Unless your interface colors the sound in a way you found pleasant (so a good interface), connecting the pod to the audio interface with whatever digital interface (S/PDIF or ADAT if the pod has an ADAT out) will make the whole thing sound better.

Better that is, unless you like jitter and out of phase stuff and so on.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Then, S/PDIF is a digital interface, while 1/4" jacks and XLR connectors are used to carry analog signals, so there really isn't a cable that goes from 1/4/XLR to S/PDIF or vice versa.
You might find digital interfaces in small boxes but they would still require current to work and cheap ones would unavoidably sound bad, so I recommend not even thinking about such stuff.???
GuL
^ I don't understand the meaning of your post

Please be clearer.
Also you may wanna use quote tags if you're quoting other people.
The simple way of doing that is clicking on the "quote" button at the bottom right of a message.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola