Page 1 of 2
I've got a job interview today for a job I'd be really interested in getting. It's at 3 o clock and lasts an hour, including an interview and a test.

However I've come over with an awful illness yesterday and today. I've basically lost my voice, go into a coughing fit if I speak more than a few words and I'm feeling a blocked nose coming on too.

Should I attend the interview or try to reschedule? I don't wanna waste a 1 hour drive to this interview if I'm just gonna flunk it because I am ill, and similarly it is a job I'd be interested in taking. Additionally they might hate me if I'm looking like shit and coughing everywhere.

On the other hand it might show resolve, bravery and passion if I attend the interview against all odds.

I need advice because I am honestly split on what to do in this situation. What would you do?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Read the thread

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
why are you trying to get a job at a place that's an hour's drive away

are you going to relocate or something
ggg1 ggg3

don't be yrself cuz no way that'll help ya

Quote by behind_you

Yeah I am

If I was sick I'd probably call to reschedule if possible, but if you're feeling up to it just get there and be early and try not to cough during the interview
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Attending the intenview despite all odds is something you should place at less than 0 on this scale.

Is it a job you really want, rank?
Do feel like getting out of bed today, rank?
DO you really want to spend an hour there and feel you could be at top of your game for that hour?
What is the competition?

If you're not at 100% then they will likely take someone else over you, no matter what.
Bias takes an extreme amount of effect even if people say it doesn't. They think, you'r sick now and that means you're going to be sick when they need you. Only advice I could give is is overdo it. Act like you practically dying. That way they'll think you're willing to come in even if you're dying?

This is probz a terrible method and will lead to if the interviewer is halfways intelligent.

Other than that, have a frenziedly thumbs up

get them all ill so they die

and then be like "they said they'd give me the job"
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by metal4eva_22
Attending the intenview despite all odds is something you should place at less than 0 on this scale.

Is it a job you really want, rank?
Do feel like getting out of bed today, rank?
DO you really want to spend an hour there and feel you could be at top of your game for that hour?
What is the competition?

If you're not at 100% then they will likely take someone else over you, no matter what.
Bias takes an extreme amount of effect even if people say it doesn't. They think, you'r sick now and that means you're going to be sick when they need you. Only advice I could give is is overdo it. Act like you practically dying. That way they'll think you're willing to come in even if you're dying?

This is probz a terrible method and will lead to if the interviewer is halfways intelligent.

Other than that, have a frenziedly thumbs up

This is a good piece of advice. No point attending the interview today if I'm going to look and feel like shit and do badly and just hand the job to someone else.

if you do go there's a slim chance you'll get the job

if you don't go there's no chance you'll get the job
I'd not do the overacting stuff though. If they catch on to it, you're screwing yourself over. No employer wants to hire someone who milks the crap out of a simple cold or whatever.

I think the best solution would be to just be honest and friendly. 'I apologise for the inconvenience but unfortunately I've fallen ill and I was therefore wondering if the interview could be rescheduled.'
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Apr 9, 2015,
It all probably boils down to how bad you want it

Medicine + adrenaline from the interview might make you feel better, or at least good enough, during it, but idrk
Last edited by Fat Lard at Apr 9, 2015,
Quote by Fat Lard
It all probably boils down to how bad you want it

I'd like it, but I'd rather do the interview in a weeks time when I am fit and healthy instead of now, when I am hideously ill.

Rescheduling the day of just seems in bad taste to me personally

Its bad luck, but if you're honest with both them and yourself things might work out in the end
Quote by EndTheRapture51
This is a good piece of advice. No point attending the interview today if I'm going to look and feel like shit and do badly and just hand the job to someone else.

But it's important not to underestimate yourself. Attending any interview is practice. I'm just stating do what you feel is right.
Quote by Fat Lard
Rescheduling the day of just seems in bad taste to me personally

Its bad luck, but if you're honest with both them and yourself things might work out in the end

Why in bad taste? If I interview and I'm at less than 100%, I might as well be handing the job to someone else anyway

I suppose it's just down to the companies individual values. They might not want me coming in and infecting everyone with the flu when they've got a big project to be completed next week, but they might admire my determination.

Given that I'm finding it hard to talk beyond a few words without breaking down into a coughing fit, I'm on the side of not going because how am I going to answer questions and express myself if I can't talk?

Quote by metal4eva_22
But it's important not to underestimate yourself. Attending any interview is practice. I'm just stating do what you feel is right.

True, but do I value this "practise" of a job I might not even get due to my condition, over the travel time and petrol costs of going?

Nah I sound husky enough anyway I don't have to put on a Batman voice

Quote by EndTheRapture51

True, but do I value this "practise" of a job I might not even get due to my condition, over the travel time and petrol costs of going?

I'm not even going to preface my comment with the word honestly because because tou're better than that. Now that being said you 're going to eid it this commente to th epoint where it's what intervirewers might wqant to seee? It really is no howinf what your interview will be?
Quote by behind_you

Plenty of people have at least an hour's commute to work...
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by metal4eva_22
I'm not even going to preface my comment with the word honestly because because tou're better than that. Now that being said you 're going to eid it this commente to th epoint where it's what intervirewers might wqant to seee? It really is no howinf what your interview will be?

Sorry but what?

Quote by metal4eva_22

Are you having a stroke or something? The amount of typos seems to be increasing with every post
Quote by ultimate-slash
Are you having a stroke or something? The amount of typos seems to be increasing with every post

Konesly, I'm drunk as fukuck .

Like Josh and the MLP thread seeem to underatand this but like thw rest of you don't.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I've got a job interview today for a job I'd be really interested in getting. It's at 3 o clock and lasts an hour, including an interview and a test.

However I've come over with an awful illness yesterday and today. I've basically lost my voice, go into a coughing fit if I speak more than a few words and I'm feeling a blocked nose coming on too.

Should I attend the interview or try to reschedule? I don't wanna waste a 1 hour drive to this interview if I'm just gonna flunk it because I am ill, and similarly it is a job I'd be interested in taking. Additionally they might hate me if I'm looking like shit and coughing everywhere.

On the other hand it might show resolve, bravery and passion if I attend the interview against all odds.

I need advice because I am honestly split on what to do in this situation. What would you do?

If I were you I'd attend the interview. In my experience most places only prioritize rescheduling if your resume is 100% and the interview is a formality. Your interview doesn't sound like a formality. It is good that you are really interested in the job but they won't care if you tell them that because other people who apply there are gonna say the same thing and they might find someone else instead.

I had to do a research poster presentation in front of a bunch of profs when I was in the middle of the flu, and I interviewed for a previous job when I had a cold. The following is similar to how I handled it:

Recover as much as you can (insert standard cold/flu advice here). I assume your interview is today. If so, take some non-drowsy antihistamines before you leave if you're okay to drive on them. Otherwise you can take them right before the interview, after you get there. Take a nap if you can.

Bring lozenges and tissues and whatever else you need with you, blow your nose really hard before you go in, etc. If you are scared of looking germy bring hand sanitizer too. I had a little plastic bag to throw all my tissues into and I'm sure it looked ridiculous but at least I didn't have to worry about what to do with it. Bring a water bottle of whatever will soothe your throat - honey lemon, tea, warm water, etc.

With all this stuff it is going to be very obvious that you are sick. Don't play it up or anything. Just be like "sorry about all this, I'm recovering from ______, is it okay if I keep these with me during the test?" It is important to say that you are RECOVERING because it means you are not contagious anymore and they will be less grossed out by you. They won't hate you for being sick. If they doubt your ability to be mentally present for the interview because of your illness or they would prefer to interview a healthy individual, they might even ask you if you want to reschedule. That's on them - do your part by showing up.

Barely anyone looks amazing when they're sick. This is where makeup is a godsend. But if your presentation and grooming is immaculate I doubt anyone will notice just from your appearance alone.

If you are not fit to be seen in public then don't go, but otherwise you should. Even if you don't get the job, it's good practice for looking professional while sick and you'll know what to focus on next time you're sick and you have to do something you can't get out of. Good luck

edit: also, I don't consider the time or cost of travel and interview prep when I'm interviewing. Unless you are bleeding from your eyes and you are unable to drive safely, this is not even something you should consider if you are serious about the job.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Apr 9, 2015,
Thank you for your informative post that had a lot of thought put into it

The only problem is that I am not recovering, this is the peak day of illness I think, it started yesterday, got worse overnight and now I have bags under my eyes, watery eyes, lack of a voice, I am sniffly too though.

I don't wanna waste my time travelling to an interview that I'll just fluff anyway if I go into a coughing fit. Also there's at least one competency test to be taken, and taking tests whilst you are ill is not gonna work. Additionally you don't wanna sneeze all over people, infect the entire place and shake peoples hands whilst clearly ill.

Anyway, I phoned them up and asked if they wanted me to attend given that I was ill. Waiting for a call back now. Advice online says don't bother if you're not feeling 100%, but it is still a big dilemma.

Try every home remedy in the book.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Rescheduled it for Wednesday when I should be better. Thank you for your differing opinions.

Risky move there.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Only as risky as coughing in the interviewers face and not being able to answer any questions because I am unable to speak

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Only as risky as coughing in the interviewers face and not being able to answer any questions because I am unable to speak

When i had to do my Job interview there were two persons who had their interview scheduled two days later than me (one due to illness). After my interview they got a call that there was no need to show up anymore
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
When i had to do my Job interview there were two persons who had their interview scheduled two days later than me (one due to illness). After my interview they got a call that there was no need to show up anymore

Didn't even have to do an interview for my job

Got offered a job after a two month internship, although I did have to do an interview (and a small test) for the internship. But that was the easiest thing ever...
'So you want to an internship here? You're test was really good.'
- Uh, yeah. And thanks!
'Ok then.'
- coo'

And then after two months it went:
'So your internship is almost at its end...'
- Yeah, it is.
'Want a job here?'
- Sure!
'Ok, coo''
- coo'

The sad part is that I'm only slightly exaggerating
Holey shit, I sincerely hope you don't listen to literally any of the posts I've made, except for the Peace and Love ones because those are the great
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by ultimate-slash
Didn't even have to do an interview for my job

Got offered a job after a two month internship, although I did have to do an interview (and a small test) for the internship. But that was the easiest thing ever...
'So you want to an internship here? You're test was really good.'
- Uh, yeah. And thanks!
'Ok then.'
- coo'

And then after two months it went:
'So your internship is almost at its end...'
- Yeah, it is.
'Want a job here?'
- Sure!
'Ok, coo''
- coo'

The sad part is that I'm only slightly exaggerating

I had the same as you slash

but now I've moved on to work for the NCOI starting april 15th
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
For the actual interview, one thing to do is to ask a couple of questions, even if you don't actually care about the answer. Stuff like "how long does the orientation phase take for the job?". This has been shown to improve your chances (Google for studies if you want to)
Page 1 of 2