Well I know many people have problem with the pinky but I don't know what to do with him. I mean, when I'm not using it, goes up and I see other people playing and his pinky it's like hidden or closed, don't know how to say it, and when I use the pinky when I'm practicing my finger starts to hurt in the joint. Other problem I have is that when I move my pinky the ring finger moves too, I mean, I open my hand and move the pinky back and forward my ring finger moves too, as if the two were joined in the joint. This is a huge problem and don't know what to do, makes me feel unmotivated by not knowing what to do and not seeing improvements in my playing.
My pinky does the same. It's my ring finger's best friend and follows me wherever it goes. This is why I started bass playing. You can do that with one finger

No, it takes dedication. My pinky used to fly all over the place when I first started out. What really helped me, was a simple exercise.

Pick a string that's easy to fret, like the B string. Place your left hand somewhere on the neck where your four fingers naturally cover a fret each (for instance: fret 6, 7, 8 and 9).

Now, play each note once, but make sure that you only move one finger at a time. So play:

6 - rest - 7 - rest etc.

This will train your mind and your hand. It helps in the long run!
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
Quote by legion501stup
Well I know many people have problem with the pinky but I don't know what to do with him. I mean, when I'm not using it, goes up and I see other people playing and his pinky it's like hidden or closed, don't know how to say it

You don't want to do that anyway, it's a bad habit that generally indicates a little too much tension in the hand.

Quote by legion501stup
Other problem I have is that when I move my pinky the ring finger moves too, I mean, I open my hand and move the pinky back and forward my ring finger moves too, as if the two were joined in the joint.

They kind of are, the pinky and ring finger share a tendon so this is actually 100% normal. It takes a lot of time, practice, and dedication to get those two fingers to be at all independent.

The only real thing anyone can recommend is simply that you practice using that finger, but particularly you need to focus on staying as relaxed as possible at all times.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Practicing pinky usage. Lots of HO/PO exercises using the ring and pinky finger will help you get strength. The pinky lacks the strength of the other fingers, making it much less precise to use. I also find that it doesn't flow as well as fingers 1-2-3. If i'm playing a 3 note run such as...

D-7-9-10
A-7-9-10

I'll play that using index, middle and ring finger depending on how fast that run is at least. Otherwise i'm using my pinky and ring finger instead of middle and ring finger. Learn your chord shapes with your pinky and start practicing some pinky/ring finger stuff to get those muscles involved. For example

G--7--6
D--7--6
A--7--6

Play those notes going up, down, what have you. Just use your ring finger and pinky. You can do patterns where your pinky hits the next note or you go from pinky to ring. Just keep working on it. Learning guitar takes a while, and a lot of hard work. You need to stick with it. Practice something. 2 or 3 days later practice it again and repeat two or 3 times. After that you should start to get better as your brain gets used to what your fingers are doing.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
i do these kind of exercises whilst watching tv, its especially good if your fingers are hurting from playing coz usually your pinky and 4th finger have a lot of juice left in them. just play notes with those 2 fingers for another hour or however long it takes for you to wear your pinky out

if your pinky is aching after playing a bit then that probably means you're giving it a decent workout and should expect it to grow stronger so long you give it appropriate rest/recovery time inbetween playing
Last edited by percydw at Apr 10, 2015,
I had the same problem years and years ago of my pinky always flying all over the place, but I kind of just forced myself to be aware of it when I was playing and forced myself to it keep it under control. I'm not too sure what other advice to give other than being aware that it's an issue and actively working to correct it.
When you notice it happening, stop playing, correct the issue and don't play until your pinky is in the position it should be. It will take a fair bit of patience and persistence, but it's definitely an issue you want to correct sooner than later.

I know I shouldn't bash on other musicians, but you don't want your technique becoming as atrocious as this 7 or 8 years down the track..

(Invalid img)

Sure her playing is all right, but she's not doing herself any favours with her pinky being that spastic.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 10, 2015,