Hey guys

So lately I've just been looking to breathe some new life into my current setup and playing. I havent bought any pedals or gear of any sort for that matter in quite a long time now and want to change things up.
I currently have a 5153 50w with matching 2x2 cabinet. I have a Boss RC3 and MXR Carbon Copy in my effects loop and my Crybaby and OD (rarely used) pedal out front. I like my tone, just want something new to play with.

I guess what I'm looking for is a quality all-in-one effects processor with all the bells and whistles... midi switch would be nice. I mainly play at home and occasionally drag my gear to friends to jam... sometimes just using his amp or PA system. It is mostly through my own amp though so I don't need any modeling.... I want to keep the tone of the EVH.

I have been looking at the TC Electronics G System and the Nova System, various PODS, etc...

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with any of these in their 5153?
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
POD HD500, turn off modeling.

You can pretty much play with the knobs, switches and settings on that forever.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
+1 to POD HD500(X). Zoom G3 if you don't want to spend too much. Use your OD in the front to boost your amp, you'll breathe a bit more "life" into it that way. Use the multi in the fx loop. c:
I was reading a LOT about the quality of the TCE effects... thats why I mentioned it...people seemed really impressed. The POD also seems quite popular. I have never really done the effects processor thing so I am not all that familiar. Had a Line 6 JM4 Looper and Boss ME at one point long time ago.
Money is not really an issue...I mean to a certain extent obviously. Not gonna spend over a grand. I haven't tried either, including the POD 500. I am also not that sold on the RC3... does the 500 have looping/back track functions?
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
POD into amp is tone suck
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
a few more bucks, maybe a strymon mobius and timeline?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Badmotorfingers
POD into amp is tone suck

Oh Bullshit!

Nonsense.

Why would you say that? Given that you can turn off amp/cab modeling and simply use it as an effects board with MIDI, I'm not sure where the problem would arise?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Oh Bullshit!

Nonsense.

Why would you say that? Given that you can turn off amp/cab modeling and simply use it as an effects board with MIDI, I'm not sure where the problem would arise?

Just because the amp modelling is off doesn't mean the tone isn't affected, even with that, have you ever played through one of those things and then just plugged straight in?

The change in the feel of the amp and dynamics, plus just overall tone is not insignificant.

Quote by Will Lane
In the front end (especially with amp models) it sounds bad IMO. In the effects loop with/without models it sounds decent.

It's less so but still noticeable. I guess the difference would be negligible in terms of sound if you were playing live but the difference in feel is still there.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 10, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
It's less so but still noticeable. I guess the difference would be negligible in terms of sound if you were playing live but the difference in feel is still there.
It is analog to digital back to analog so I imagine there is some loss. I would say it is negligible, and the POD can make up for whatever tone loss is there.

Distortion and amp feel can be emulated by the POD, but I wouldn't say they would be on par with real distortion and amp feel. A lot of professionals use just a POD and they sound outstanding, however. Through the effects loop of a decent amp (with a proper preamp signal) amp sims work well, as the emulation signal is just amplified mostly and nothing else. You will loose a lot of the natural timbre of your amp amongst the sims.

If you're not using the POD's distortions and amp models and running just delays and verbs n' such through the effects loop, I don't imagine there would be any noticeable tone loss or digital harshness, nor have I heard such a loss (with the HD500X and the G3) in the effects loop of a tube amp.

The preamp signal sent to the POD in the effects loop should contain all preamp boosts, comps, clipping, etc. I don't suggest using the POD's distortion or amp sims in TS' case. The POD won't wreck that signal, and it will just add the modulations then send that right to the power amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 10, 2015,