Hey, so I really really like this solo and it may be out of my league but I would be really grateful if someone could tab it.

The solo in question is from RHCP's jam in Poland, 2007: https://youtu.be/eo6KxjmE_BY?t=5m12s (The solo starts about ten seconds from the time I've given there)

I only really want to learn the part up to 7:33 on the timeline, but if anyone wants to tab out the rest I'd love that.

To get some idea on how it goes, there is this cover of it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFE2SYXWgGI
I'm really bad at learning by watching covers and get lost while trying to copy the notes he plays.

Some tips on how to get the tone would be magical as well!

Thanks!
The problem with tabbing such a jams is that's a hell a lot of work.
You had to mimic all that bands, hammers, pull-offs, in a guitar tab, which is extremely exhausting process.
Also, there's no way to tab parts when he uses filter.
And how do you mimic a wah-wah?
And all this tremolo work, the whammy bar...

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.
This jam is awesome.
I should try it on weekends.
Last edited by paveld500 at Apr 14, 2015,
yea i looked into it too, there is so much work to this solo, it would drive you crazy tabbing it out. , but good luck to the guy/girl who does it.
Quote by paveld500
The problem with tabbing such a jams is that's a hell a lot of work.
You had to mimic all that bands, hammers, pull-offs, in a guitar tab, which is extremely exhausting process.
Also, there's no way to tab parts when he uses filter.
And how do you mimic a wah-wah?
And all this tremolo work, the whammy bar...

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.
This jam is awesome.
I should try it on weekends.

Yeah, I realize what I'm asking for here definitely isn't easy, and that even if tabbed perfectly, getting the tone would be just as hard. My amp can simulate a wah pedal. Not as great as a real one, but it (kinda) does the job.

The jam definitely is awesome though, one of my favorites! Good luck
Quote by ayreon77
yea i looked into it too, there is so much work to this solo, it would drive you crazy tabbing it out. , but good luck to the guy/girl who does it.

Ah well! Thanks for looking into it
Actually its not as involved as the others are proclaiming (no offense guys), sure there's about 50 seconds of it that's pretty fiddly but there's also a lot of simple stuff with it as well, so I guess that means I get the honours.... give's a few hours and I'll see what I can do!
Okay here it is, I've included the chord changes to make it easier to navigate where you are in the TAB. I didn't include the wah wah's and wot-nots... I figured you can decipher those sorts of things yourself etc... Sorry but I didn't get to the very end of where you wanted to, I figured you might manage that last bit yourself.

I had to split it into 2 Parts, due to U-G post restrictions

Good Luck!

Frusciante Solo: Part 1
                                         C
e|---------------| |-------------------|--------|--------------------------------------------||
B|---8---8-8---8-| |---8---(8)r-7---8~-|-repeat-|---10---8---10---8---10---8---10---8---10---||
G|-9---9-----9---|x|-9---9--------9----|-first--|-9----9---9----9---9----9---9----9---9----9-||
D|---------------|5|-------------------|-bar-x2-|--------------------------------------------||
A|---------------| |-------------------|--------|--------------------------------------------||
E|---------------| |-------------------|--------|--------------------------------------------||

C                 D          (E)                
e|-----------------|-------------|-------------------------------------------------10--10/-12-||
B|-----------8---8-|---8---8-8---|-8---8---8---8---8---8---8---8---8-----10-b-(12)-------sl---||
G|-9--9-9--9---9---|-9---9-----9-|---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---(x)----------------------||
D|-----------------|-------------|------------------------------------------------------------||
A|-----------------|-------------|------------------------------------------------------------||
E|-----------------|-------------|------------------------------------------------------------||

C                                        D
e|----------------------------------10-12-|-----------------------------------10--12-||
B|-10-b-(12)-r-(10)-p-8-------10/12-------|-10-b-(12)-r-(10)-p-8------(x)/12---------||
G|----------------------9--9----sl--------|----------------------9-------sl----------||
D|----------------------------------------|------------------------------------------||
A|----------------------------------------|------------------------------------------||
E|----------------------------------------|------------------------------------------||

E
e|-------------------------------12-b-(14)-12----------------------------------10----10-/-12-||
B|-10-b-(12)-r-(10)-p-8--------------------------10-b-(12)-10--8--10--(x)-/12-----12----sl---||
G|----------------------9---9---------------------------------------------sl-----------------||
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

C                          D                              E
e|(12)---------------------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|-
B|-10h11h12-/12~~--12-12---|-12-h-13--12h13px--12--12---12-|-12/17\12--12--12-12/13\x-/20--19--(h)20p19\-12--|-
G|----------sl-------------|-------------------------------|---sl-sl------------sl---------------------sl----|-
D|-------------------------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|-
A|-------------------------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|-
E|-------------------------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|-

C                           D
e|---------||---------------------------|-----------------------||
B|-/20-\19-||-\12--12--/20--19---12--12-|-/20--b-(22)---19~~\---||
G|-sl--sl--||-sl-------sl---------------|-sl----------------sl--||
D|---------||---------------------------|-----------------------||
A|---------||---------------------------|-----------------------||
E|---------||---------------------------|-----------------------||
Last edited by tonibet72 at Apr 23, 2015,
Frusciante Solo Part 2:

E   [Rapid picking throughout this Entire Section... hence all the ||'s you see at *'s]                 
e|----------------------------------------------------x-------------------------x-------------||
B|---------14h15px-/20--p19\--------------------------12-h-15-p-12--------------12-h-15-p-12--||
G|-14b(16)---------sl------sl-(14)-x-x-x-x-x---14|b|(16)---------------14|b|(16)--------------||
D|-----------------------------(x)-x-x-x-x-x-----*-----------------------*--------------------||
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

e|---------(12)h(15)p(12)---------(12)h(15)p(12)-----------x--------------------x------------||
B|----------12-h-15-p-12-----------12-h-15-p-12------------12-h-15-p-12---------12-h-15-p-12-||
G|-14|b|(16)--------------14|b|(16)--------------14|b|(16)---------------14b(16)-------------||
D|---*----------------------*----------------------*-----------------------------------------||
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

C                                     D                                               
e|-12||h15p12----12||h15p12-12h15p12||-|----------------------------------------------------------||
B|---*--------15---*----------------*--|-15-12h15p12--------12-15-12--------12--------------------||
G|-------------------------------------|-------------14b(16)---------14b(16)---14-12--14-12----12-||
D|-------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------14----||
A|-------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------||
E|-------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------||

E
e|-----------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
B|-----------12h15p12-12-|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
G|-14-b-(16)-------------|-14-p-12---14-p12h14--p12--12-h-14-p-12-----12--------------------------------------||
D|-----------------------|-----------------------------------------14----14-p-12h14p14----12-14~~B(17)-R-(14)-||
A|-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------14---------------------||
E|-----------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

C                                       D                    E
e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------15\14----------------------||
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------sl--------------/13-p-12~||
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------11-11~~12--sl-------||
D|-(12)h14-p-12------------xh14-------h14-------h14-------h14-------12h14-------/14----------------------------||
A|--------------14(12)h14-------12h14------h14------12h14-----12-14-------12-14--------------------------------||
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
                         (keep in mind that this moves through pretty rapidly)

C                                  D
e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
B|(12)~~~~/20-p-19----19-19---19---19-19----19-19-19--22-B-(24)~~24-24--24-24-etc...------||
G|---------------------------------------------------------(keep-note-held-while-picking)-||
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

E                                                                 C                   D
e|--------------------------------------sl----/19/20-B-(23)-R-(20)--p19-\-17-\15--15-/17-17--17--\15---15p14-||
B|-(24)-b-(25)--r--(24)--b--(25)--r-(24)\-------------------------------sl---sl------sl----------sl----------||
G|-(bent-note-still-held-throughout)-------------------------------------------------------------------------||
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

E                                                      C                (D) E 
e|-14---b-(15)---r--(14)----14---14--|--15-b-(17)-r-(15)-------------------| |-15-b-(17)-r------(0)---||
B|-----------------------------------|--------------------17-b-(19)-r-(17)-| |-------------17p15p0----||
G|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|x|---------------------14-||
D|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|3|------------------------||
A|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------| |------------------------||
E|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------| |------------------------||

C 
e|---------------------------------------------------------|-15--15-17-15---17--B(19)r(17)---------------||
B|-17B(19)--r(18)-B-(20)-r-(17)-p-15h17p15-0---0---0---0---|--------------------------------15--17p15----||
G|-------------------------------------------0---0---0---0-|------------------------------------------16-||
D|---------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------||
A|---------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------||
E|---------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------||

D
e|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
B|-15----------------------------------------12--------------------------12----------------------------------||
G|----16--14-h16p14-\12-h14--14-b-(16)--(16)-(r)--12---12-14-b-(16)-(16)-(r)--12h14p12-11/12---11h12p11---14-||
D|------------------sl-------------------------------------------------------------------sl-<12>--------12---||
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

E                                               C
e|-7--------------------7-----------------------------------------------------------7-----||
B|---10p8\7-h8p7--h8h10---(10)-8\7-h8p7-7h8/10-p8-h10p8\7--8-10p8\7---7-h8-/10--/12---10--||
G|-------sl---------------------sl---------sl----------sl--------sl-9------sl---sl--------||
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

D
e|-------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------||
B|-8-b(10)r(8)-7--8--7h8p7---7---|-7-b(8)r(7)---------7-b(8)r(7)-------7-7-b(8)r(7)-|| etc, etc...
G|------------------------ 9---9-|------------9-7-9--------------9-7-9--------------||
D|-------------------------------|------------------9-------------------------------||
A|-------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------||
E|-------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------||
                            (Basically until the end before he steps into the whammy thing)
Thanks so much! This is gonna be fun (and tough) getting down right!

Wish I could repay you somehow, that must've been quite a bit of work
Last edited by tadijar at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by tadijar
Thanks so much! Wish I could repay you somehow,
Okay sure, remind those in your life you care about, that you appreciate them ...and just give them a hug mate... and if you really want to say you love them... don't! ...instead show it, by helping them with something they may need assistance with!

and please don't just say "hey I love you... do you need a hand with anything?" (don't be lazy about it) ...there are smarter, and more caring and connected ways to offering a friend help, you just gotta gently figure that out... often makes for a wonderful conversation starter!

Haha, not the answer you were expecting... but come on, you're a big kid... you can do it! ...and anyway you offered!... kinda?
Quote by tonibet72
Okay sure, remind those in your life you care about, that you appreciate them ...and just give them a hug mate... and if you really want to say you love them... don't! ...instead show it, by helping them with something they may need assistance with!

and please don't just say "hey I love you... do you need a hand with anything?" (don't be lazy about it) ...there are smarter, and more caring and connected ways to offering a friend help, you just gotta gently figure that out... often makes for a wonderful conversation starter!

Haha, not the answer you were expecting... but come on, you're a big kid... you can do it! ...and anyway you offered!... kinda?

Deal!
Quote by tadijar
Hey, first, wanna thank you again for tabbing out that solo. I got down the first minute (more or less, getting the tone is impossible, but I've no pedals so i have to settle for something :/).

However, after the first minute, he starts this shred in the pentatonic box, and trying to do what the tab says fails miserably at capturing what John is doing. Now, even if I slow the sound down to 50%, this part of the solo seems pretty.. fuzzy, I can't really make out the notes that he makes. Is this one of the cases where I just can't repeat what he does?

I just don't even know how to sound similar to that.

Any suggestion on how should I approach it? Am I just not good enough technically. Thanks

Hey tadijar,

Forgive me for posting this here and not P.M-ing you back instead, (you raise an excellent point others may benefit from?).

I am assuming you are referring to the part where my 2nd block of TAB starts in your thread:
A few things of note:
[Rapid picking throughout this Entire Section... hence all the ||'s you see at *'s]
TAB can be such a bitch sometimes, that's why I included that 'rapid picking' note.

1. If you watch the video and pay attention to bruce-is-yr-aunty's right hand, you will see him continually picking throughout the section, yet you can clearly see what his left hand is doing... (left fingers not matching the speed *and quantity* of right hand picking) so that's why I included the Rapid Picking Note and the || symbols to show that whilst bending, his right hand hasn't stopped picking... even during the bends, (but not a-l-w-a-y-s staying on that bent note alone) the other strings are getting hit at random also.

2. Notice his left index finger continually barring the bottom 3 strings throughout, and his god-awful right hand picking action, slopping over all 3 bottom strings (which he's actually doing deliberately), as mentioned above... in effect catching those other strings to create that (don't have a word for it... free-style jam?) type sound he's going for at the section?

3. Also notice his left leg pulsing in and out of the wah-wah pedal... which (if you've ever used one) lends well to that dead string pick scratch type playing (eg: Hendrix, Voodoo Chile) fru-joo's just doing it at a much higher speed.

Could you TAB all that?
Would it be entirely necessary?

All those things contribute to the 'blurry-ness' of that section (again, an intended effect) especially with the inclusion of the wah pedal.

Here's the thing:
The other posters here were quite right in the fact that:
This would've been a shit to TAB out l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y...

It's a bit like me asking you to transcribe a set of orders your friend is giving, but the problem is your friend has just finished running 100 meters, and is out of breath and also has a nasty cold and is constantly snivelling throughout her 2 minute winded instruction... so rather than me asking you to transcribe the words only, I wanted you to include every cough, snivel, sniff, sneeze, inhale/exhale, groan, grunt, gripe, nasal reduction, slurred mumble... or any other exhausted nuance in your transcription... would you deem all that entirely necessary?

Problem is, I don't know how long you've been playing for and what comes instinctively to you or not. I don't really mean in years, but more how much time you spend with your instrument?

For example: This guy's 17 and been playing 4 years:
I believe it. (the song he's covering is just over a year old also).

It all depends on how much we instinctively pick up on when trying to decipher what others are doing. Try looking into a few similar solo's from his records to get an instinctive feel for his style, plenty of TABs/Books out there.

Given all that's been said (and looking back over my TAB), what he's doing is not actually that difficult, but as the other post-ers pointed out also, To literally TAB all nuances would be certainly become an arduous task in itself nonetheless...

Given all that, I don't think there's much I'd change in my TAB... and hey, free advice is free advice... we take what what we can.

Keep at it though... best of luck!!
Last edited by tonibet72 at Apr 26, 2015,
Thanks for taking the time to reply again. I completely understand what you are saying. I am still extremely new to guitar, got it less than a year ago and I haven't been spending a lot of time with it. Hardly an intermediate player, I can do things like the Stairway to Heaven solo (still a little shaky on some points), to give you an idea on my soloing skills.

I am becoming aware that I probably bit more than I could chew with this solo. After all, you have to know to play clean well to be able to get that sloppy sound and still sound nice, right? I think I'm going to go with your recommendation and just study his previous solos to get the feel for it. And play more guitar in general.
Given all that's been said (and looking back over my TAB), what he's doing is not actually that difficult, but as the other post-ers pointed out also, To literally TAB all nuances would be certainly become an arduous task in itself nonetheless...

I could not emphasize this more... +100500.