Hey guys,

Lately I've been in the mood to tinker with my gear and I've always wondered what the difference was between a TS-9 and an 808. I've got a TS-9 that I don't use that much because I prefer my MXR M77 to it, due to its greater range of adjustment and the asymmetrical clipping.

***I use my ODs pretty much only to boost and tighten my 6505+ -- not for overdrive on their own. So considering that, will I notice much of a difference by modding my TS-9? What could I expect the difference to be? I'm confident that I can do the mod no problem, and it's cheap -- but if there isn't much of a difference when using it as a boost, why bother, right?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Short answer: No

Long answer: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

Pertinent Quote: "In terms of differences among the models: the TS808, the TS9, and the TS9 reissue are in fact built on the same circuit board pattern. For these three, THE ONLY DIFFERENCES ARE THE OPAMP TYPE AND THE TWO OUTPUT RESISTORS. This is how the various conversions to "TS808 specs" are done - two resistors are changed in value, and the opamp maybe changed to another type."
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 9, 2015,
No, you will not notice a difference in sound between the 2 at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are a ton of great, easy, worthwhile mods to the TS-9. The 808 conversion isn't one of them but I know Keeley had his mod schematics available online for a while, and I'm sure there are dozens of other quality mods readily available with a bit of searching.
^+1
the keeley mod is nice and helps retain some lows the TS normally cuts out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^+1
the keeley mod is nice and helps retain some lows the TS normally cuts out

So a Boss SD-1 then...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
So a Boss SD-1 then...

What ever smartass

No the TS type pedals still have a mid/hump that the SD1 doesn't have (without tweaking)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What ever smartass

No the TS type pedals still have a mid/hump that the SD1 doesn't have (without tweaking)

Charles Darwin
I have a number of Ibanez Tube Screamers. I have a TS10 that was modded to TS 808 specs many years ago by Robert Keeley. The difference between my normal TS9, my original TS10 and the modded TS10 is almost insignificant. It's mainly a tonal difference and even then it's not a very significant difference. The TS10 is normally a little brighter than my TS9 and both are a little brighter than the modded 808. Nothing a little extra bit of EQ can't change if needed. If you want to mod something buy a TS7 on EBay for $35-40.00 and mod that to 808 standard. (People should be snatching the TS7 while they are still inexpensive. Just 5 years ago you could get a TS10 for $30-40.00 now they go for $125.00 and up. The TS7 is still a bargain. Get them while you can.)

If it's just a boost thing you are looking for I don't think you'll notice any difference.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 9, 2015,
^ or buy a GFS Greenie for $50 new and it has TS9,TS808 and Keeley mod TS9 all in one pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Bad Monkey is a great pedal. Very much like a good Tube Screamer.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I'll throw in a green rhino or SD 805 which are basically TS type pedals with controls over all 3 frequencies (to different extents).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I don't really want any new OD pedals. My MXR is awesome out of the box. I was more or less just interested in modding my TS-9 to maybe get more use out of it. Sounds like the 808 mod won't make any difference for my application. It's funny how they charge so much money for the 808 version, when really it's hardly any different. Might be interesting to do that Keeley mod myself though; so it doesn't cut quite as much bass.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
It's funny how they charge so much money for the 808 version, when really it's hardly any different.

...but it's vintage reissue!!1

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Robbgnarly
What ever smartass

the sd1 still has a pretty big mid hump, at least to my ears and the way i use it. maybe not just as much, but i'd say it's in the same ballpark...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The main difference between the SD1 and the tubescreamer is that the SD1 has asymmetrical clipping which makes it sound a little bit raspier imo.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Dave_Mc
the sd1 still has a pretty big mid hump, at least to my ears and the way i use it. maybe not just as much, but i'd say it's in the same ballpark...

yeah, sd-1 is mega-mids. doesn't sound great by itself, but is tits going into a lead channel.
^ yeah. i also think it's maybe a little nicer/more versatile by itself than a tubescreamer... but then a lot would say that's not much of a recommendation either since a lot of people don't like a ts by itself either.

Quote by mulefish
The main difference between the SD1 and the tubescreamer is that the SD1 has asymmetrical clipping which makes it sound a little bit raspier imo.

i dunno about that. the circuit topology is pretty similar, but a lot of the values are different. from what i hear from people who understand pedal circuits more than me, the asymmetrical/symmetrical thing doesn't actually make all that much difference. Or at least not as much as most people think, but it's the big thing that people with a rudimentary understanding of electronics (i.e. people like me ) latch onto since that's the bit that's easiest to understand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i dunno about that. the circuit topology is pretty similar, but a lot of the values are different. from what i hear from people who understand pedal circuits more than me, the asymmetrical/symmetrical thing doesn't actually make all that much difference. Or at least not as much as most people think, but it's the big thing that people with a rudimentary understanding of electronics (i.e. people like me ) latch onto since that's the bit that's easiest to understand.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by mulefish

I know the DS-1 has asymmetrical clipping, but I'm not sure about the SD-1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

SD-1 is also asymmetrical clipping. In any case, I have an MXR M77 (Modified Custom Badass Overdrive, or something to that effect, lol). Anyway, it's based on the SD-1, only a lot less noisy, has a "100 hz" knob as well as a general tone knob, and a "bump" switch that shifts the pedal's EQ to emphasize a little more low-end and mids. It's a great pedal -- my TS-9 has felt left out ever since I bought it.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
SD-1 is also asymmetrical clipping. In any case, I have an MXR M77 (Modified Custom Badass Overdrive, or something to that effect, lol). Anyway, it's based on the SD-1, only a lot less noisy, has a "100 hz" knob as well as a general tone knob, and a "bump" switch that shifts the pedal's EQ to emphasize a little more low-end and mids. It's a great pedal -- my TS-9 has felt left out ever since I bought it.

Yeah I was using a few TS type pedals for a while all the time. Now I rarely have them on, I go straight in pretty much
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92

yeah i'm definitely guilty of that type of thinking too once you finally feel, "Oh wow, I think maybe I actually sort of understand that bit!" you tend to latch onto it. Or at least I do.

Quote by Robbgnarly

ds1 is symmetrical (to ground), sd1 is asymmetrical (in op amp's feedback loop), far as i'm aware.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?