Would a 100 watt tube amp half stack be to loud for bedroom use? I will be using it for practices and gigs as well. Should I go with the 100 watt head or will that be too loud and if so should I get the 60 watt head?
Depends on the amp, not the wattage. Some amps work well at low volumes, others don't. But wattage doesn't really tell that.

And yeah, I doubt there's a noticeable difference between how 100 and 60 watt versions of the same amp perform at low volumes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Depends what the amp is and what you set the volume to. . . . A Master Volume is your friend for this setup.

If you're talking "metal" most of that is based off of preamp distortion and work well at low volumes. If you're talking blues on the edge of breakup with power tube distortion you're screwed at low volumes.

You may be happier with a Pod HD500 or the like in this situation. You can use all of the effects with your main rig at practices and gigs and enable the amp sims in it with headphones or monitor speakers for bedroom practice.

Or just play through your computer with the numerous amp sims at home.

You'll get better advice if you tell us what you're looking for. 60W or 100W doesn't give us much to go on.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you're talking "metal" most of that is based off of preamp distortion and work well at low volumes. If you're talking blues on the edge of breakup with power tube distortion you're screwed at low volumes.
Blues breakup can come from preamps as well. If someone really needs power tube break up, a volume pedal or another attenuator (or just keeping the preamp minimal) is a great solution.

TS, as long as the amp has a master and preamp volume control, you'll be fine.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 9, 2015,
I would probably look for a cheap practice amp on craigslist or some other second hand source. Unless you're practicing with your band in your bedroom, lugging a half stack around is a serious pain in the ass. I keep my stack at our practice spot, and have a small practice amp for the house. If you can't keep your half stack at your practice spot (which means you're lugging it around anyways) then the 100W should be fine at low volumes. It may not be the best tone in the world, but it will be enough for practicing.
Quote by Nolasludge
I would probably look for a cheap practice amp on craigslist or some other second hand source. Unless you're practicing with your band in your bedroom, lugging a half stack around is a serious pain in the ass. I keep my stack at our practice spot, and have a small practice amp for the house. If you can't keep your half stack at your practice spot (which means you're lugging it around anyways) then the 100W should be fine at low volumes. It may not be the best tone in the world, but it will be enough for practicing.

Yeah I do think that I am going to keep it at our practice spot (warehouse not my bedroom lol!) lugging it around probably won't be fun. But I love the looks of a half stack so that's why I'm getting one. For the rest of the questions I am playing metal. Buying a Blackstar ID: series amp
It's only too loud if your volume knob is broken.

There are some amps (like old Marshall Plexis and JCMs) that relied on powertube breakup which didn't happen until ridiculous volumes, but that's not the way most amps are designed these days.

I play a 60 watt 6505+ through a 4 X 12 in a small bedroom. Yes, it is capable of shattering windows/peeling the paint off the walls, but it also sounds damn good at a reasonable volume... hell, even at low volume it sounds good.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 9, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ I would get a little amp for practice. It will likely sound more satisfying than a big amp turned right down (mine does), and you won't have the liabilities involved in luggng the thing about.

I do currently have a 15 watt practice amp so that's not a problem haha.
in my opinion anything at all through a 4x12 is too loud for bedroom use.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ikey_

what gives you that idea?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what gives you that idea?

Quantity and size of speakers is what controls volume, right?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Quantity and size of speakers is what controls volume, right?

yea, all of the volume. four 12"s move like a 48" speaker right? and one 12" is a 12" right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by ikey_

I solved that problem. I took the bed out. Now it's just a 'Room' I run 3 120w combos and 2 4x12's in there. It's just about loud enough. They have volume controls so you can turn them down. If he wants to gig then get an amp that will do it. Ain't gonna compete with a drummer with a Peavey Rage.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Oh FFS. You're asking, "how long is a piece of string?"

What amps are you talking about? Makes and models or GTFO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh FFS. You're asking, "how long is a piece of string?"

What amps are you talking about? Makes and models or GTFO.

Haha. Picks please.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!