Are any cabs better suited to certain amps? I have an opportunity to buy an empty Orange 1x12 and put a speaker in it. What would you pay for an empty 1x12? How different would an Orange cab and a Fender cab with the same speaker sound?
They would sound more different than you think, but perhaps not worlds difference. Wood, construction, and size have an impact on the amount of air being moved which has an impact on tone. I can't say that the Orange will be better than the Fender or vice versa, but I'd wager that even with the same speaker and the same amp you'll notice a difference, at least when you are pushing the speaker to the point of excursion.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
This will be mainly for low volumes, I'd put a V30 or a g12h70 in it. Almost set on a Tiny Terror, but I'd like to be able to buy a cleaner head years from now. Tones range from David Gilmour, to Angus Young, and the newer bands that use OR50s and other Orange amps. Big fan of British tone.

Basically, any decent cab will suit me well?
If it's for low volume, get an inefficient speaker. A slightly quieter speaker will give you a bit more room to open the amp up.

The V30 is a good speaker but it is quite loud. The G12H70 is also loud. The Heritage series in general tend to be quieter, but you can find all the info on the Celestion site. The number to look for is the sensitivity in dB. In Celestion rating terms, 97 is very quiet and 100 is quite loud.
Quote by Roc8995
If it's for low volume, get an inefficient speaker. A slightly quieter speaker will give you a bit more room to open the amp up.

The V30 is a good speaker but it is quite loud. The G12H70 is also loud. The Heritage series in general tend to be quieter, but you can find all the info on the Celestion site. The number to look for is the sensitivity in dB. In Celestion rating terms, 97 is very quiet and 100 is quite loud.

Are there any inefficient speakers that sound similar to the 2 above? I love the sound of the V30s, but the G12h70 seems to be a v30 without some of the harshness.
Reach out to WGS speakers. Their customer service seems very good and they'll help you pick something to meet your requirements.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by The Bacon Man
Are there any inefficient speakers that sound similar to the 2 above? I love the sound of the V30s, but the G12h70 seems to be a v30 without some of the harshness.

Both Eminence and WGS (warehouseguitarspeaker dot com) make clones of those or similar.

In addition to Orange I can recommend cabs from Splawn, Avatar, Mesa. Avatar in general might be a good place for you to go because they have lot of decently priced speakers, including Celestion, and they will make a custom cab for you. May not be quite the quality of an Orange or Splawn but they are priced accordingly.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 10, 2015,
Quote by The Bacon Man

problem is that if you know you want a certain tone the lower efficiency speakers might not sound anything like the same.

that being said the eminence v12 is roughly in the same ballpark as the v30 and is quieter (ignore its efficiency rating, eminence's ratings are optimistic).

it's not a night and day difference, though, same with any lower efficiency speakers. they're a bit quieter. they won't bring a cranked 100 watter down to bedroom volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995

Not to hijack, but: Does speaker wattage rating have anything to do with efficiency in this case? As if you were using a high wattage speaker for a lower output amp. Example: A 75 watt speaker for a 50 watt amp.
Quote by Will Lane
Not to hijack, but: Does speaker wattage rating have anything to do with efficiency in this case? As if you were using a high wattage speaker for a lower output amp. Example: A 75 watt speaker for a 50 watt amp.

The wattage of a speaker refers to the maximum (or average) load it can take. Efficiency refers to speaker sensitivity, measured in db. Example: 97 db. It is how loud the speaker is at 1 meter away while receiving 1 mW of power.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by Will Lane

No.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as far as cabs go, mesa and orange build IMO the best mass produced cabs. they are tough as hell and sound great. avatar makes nice cabs, but mine doesn't seem as solid as the mesa and orange. i haven't ever played on a splawn cab, so i can't comment on the tone, but i am assuming it is built as well as the head shells on my splawn heads, and they are rock ****ing solid.

i would get it if it were cheap enough to justify throwing a speaker in there. if not, it could be a little too pricey for the cab and speaker to cross into something more custom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not to go off topic, but make sure you like the tiny terror. My buddy had one and for some reason neither him nor I could ever get something we really liked out of it. It may have been the cab, but it sounded kinda boxy.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Orange cabs are nice, but a bit overrated imo, so much bass.

You really can't go wrong with a 1960 (with the right speakers).

The standard Mesa cabs are also very nice. Not a fan of the oversized recto cabs though, they make any amp sound like nu metal.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Orange cabs are nice, but a bit overrated imo, so much bass.

You really can't go wrong with a 1960 (with the right speakers).

The standard Mesa cabs are also very nice. Not a fan of the oversized recto cabs though, they make any amp sound like nu metal.

What is your experience with the cabs? How is orange overrated? It is a matter of opinion for tone, but you can't beat the construction. 1960a cabs are fine, but they don't compare to orange or mesa. YMMV but I like T75's, and I still like mesa and orange. Also i mix speakers in several cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane
Not to hijack, but: Does speaker wattage rating have anything to do with efficiency in this case? .

Not a damned thing. Speaker wattage rating only tells you how much heat the speaker's voice coil can dissipate before failure. There's absolutely no correlation to sensitivity or efficiency.

While we're on the subject, it's worth noting that most speaker manufacturers don't note that efficiency/sensitivity is rated at 1W/1M *at a given frequency or range of frequencies*. That latter part is usually left out. Speakers will not be equally sensitive at all frequencies. Guitar speakers are normally understood to be measured at around 1000Hz, but it's worth noting that 1000Hz doesn't happen until about the 19th fret of the high E string (a B5 is around 988Hz). Guitar speakers ordinarily drop off drastically above about 4000Hz and below 100Hz (open low E on a guitar is about 82 hz), so you shouldn't expect much efficiency there.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
What is your experience with the cabs? How is orange overrated? It is a matter of opinion for tone, but you can't beat the construction. 1960a cabs are fine, but they don't compare to orange or mesa. YMMV but I like T75's, and I still like mesa and orange. Also i mix speakers in several cabs.

Construction is just carpentry, and in guitar speaker cabinets usually has little to do with sound as much as ease and speed of production for the manufacturers. Materials have more to do with impact and moisture resistance, but even there, tradition seems to take precedence. Cabinet construction in the guitar world hasn't advanced beyond the 60's.

Orange cabinets have a "frame" on the front of their cabinets to make them look more heavily constructed, but the actual internal construction is nothing special. Same deal with Mesa. Some manufacturers advertise some overbuilding techniques, and one even runs over his cabinets with a pickup to illustrate how strong his corners are. His cabinets are destroyed, but the corners remain. Someone needs to explain the benefit of that.

Guitar cabinets are built to random specs, with some a bit larger, some a bit smaller, but there's no science to it, and since they offer random speaker combinations in them, there's no continuity in tone to any of them.

Tolex (vinyl) supplanted tweed in the 50's because it was available in colors and easier to apply (and didn't require lacquering) in the manufacturing process. These days, professional audio cabinets are covered in applied coatings like Duratex or even LineX because they're tougher, don't tear, are easily repairable, etc. Only guitar cabinets still use tolex, and for no particularly good reason other than tradition.

Some folks are willing to pay several TIMES the cost of construction of a cabinet just to get a brand name, when the identical cabinet (dimensions, wood, construction method) is available at a much cheaper cost elsewhere.

Mixing speakers usually has little discernible effect on tone (one will usually be more sensitive and will dominate) when A/B'd in a blind test. X-pattern setup in 4x12s does nothing whatever. Lots of cabinet myths out there.

Ultimately, if you like it, it's all good.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 11, 2015,