Hi,
I'm not sure where to start, I've been playing 10+ years now but over the years guitar has taken a back burner in my life. I moved out, went to college, got a job, etc. life happened, I still love guitar, love it everyday, but something has been holding me back for years. Tone. I grew up pretty poor, but my dad did what he could to get me the gear i needed to start, but now I'm out on my own and i seriously need a new amp so i can at least be proud of playing (i know, sounds shallow, but ill explain later). At the height of my guitar playing I could play near perfect renditions of Tender Surrender, Satch Boogie, some Vinnie Moore, and of course tons of Metallica and Megadeth. I need recommendations on an amp AND effects.

Important info!
-I do not gig, I will be starting my Ph.D study soon, I do not have time for a band
-This will be solely for my room, private playing, but I need to get as close to the tones of the bands i will mention below (I understand we are all searching for better tone, I'm not new, but this will not be for an audience [and if it is it won't be larger than a medium sized room])
-I have been told it would be better to get a 75ish watt amp and a good effects processor and dial in my tone manually
-I have contemplated a line 6 effects processor since a good amount of tone packs are available for it and i have heard they have good representation

Current gear!
-Esp Ltd EC-50 (what i started on 12 years ago, still my favorite. doesn't matter if its not the most expensive guitar. I would rather be a good player who can play on several different styles of gear, than a great player who can only play on expensive equipment
-Esp Ltd JH-400 (Jeff Heneman Signature just in case i didn't get the model number right)
-Fender Frontman 25r (yup 25 watt, hence the thread)
-Digitech digital guitar processor (its like $50 ish dollars, was a gift several years back)
-Ibanez Tube screamer (3 knob one, older model, like $100)

Tones/Bands I want!
-(again read above, i need to get as close to i can to these bands if possible)
-Polyphia (if you don't know who this is please look them up, they have pod tone packs available)
-Steve vai, Satch, Vinnie Moore, Gary Moore, Yngwie Malmsteen
-Metallica, Megadeth (of course), All that Remains, Periphery (Several Djent bands [This is not a time to argue against djent])
So yeah, mainly metal, but my current set up has a lot of hiss behind its heavy metal setting

BUDGET
-Like i said, Ph.D coming up soon so id say $500 at the most. This IS the final thing holding me back from being able to consistently get back into guitar. Any questions please reply and ill get back to you ASAP
Last edited by itsthisguyneil at Apr 10, 2015,
POD HD500X. c: Has a line-in too so you can hook up your jams to the unit and play along with headphones. Look towards getting a decent tube amp with an effects-loop in the future.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 10, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
POD HD500X. c: Has a line-in too so you can hook up your jams to the unit and play along with headphones. Look towards getting a decent tube amp with an effects-loop in the future.

So i should play along with headphones instead of hooking it into my current amp on clean? Also should i also invest in some good headphones (best headphones i have are some turtle beach xbox 360 headset
Quote by itsthisguyneil
So i should play along with headphones instead of hooking it into my current amp on clean? Also should i also invest in some good headphones (best headphones i have are some turtle beach xbox 360 headset
I would suggest yes to both of those. Going into the front end of the amp, your tone might be messy and blurry. And for headphones, any decent quality headphones would be fine. You don't have to get beats.
Quote by Will Lane
I would suggest yes to both of those. Going into the front end of the amp, your tone might be messy and blurry. And for headphones, any decent quality headphones would be fine. You don't have to get beats.

Beats? Heresy. I was just talking about a nice pair of Audio Technicas ~$100 range

If you wanted to go the conventional route, you might could find a 6505 combo used for around $500. Boost it with the TS9 and use the Digitech in the effects loop for delays and verbs. Then you would look towards getting a better effects unit in the future, rather than the amp.

Up to you.
Second the HD500, it's an excellent choice given your parameters.

Get headphones for when you want to play loud without bothering others, you can always go into an amp/pa later if you choose.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Second the HD500

I wouldn't go with a 6505 for most of that stuff though honestly.
For Djent, and 'tallica? Yeah

For the rest?
I'd look into maybe scoring a JCM2000 DSL
The combo is well within budget, and the head CAN be had for $700, but you might have to stretch to an extra $100

If not, I'd grab a JCA22
The POD HD500x is a good choice here. You can get a set of studio monitors or a good powered wedge speaker for making noise and the Audio-Technica headphones are a good choice for quiet. I have a pair of the m50x.

Since your at home, amp sims on the computer may work well for you. I use a Rocksmith video game cable (or you can pickup an interface on Amazon for $20) and Peavey ReValver software. There are plenty of good free sims as well.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Yeah get a POD HD500 and you can use headphones or your current amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought a Line 6 "Amplifi 150" for exactly what you want, and it works perfectly.
Quote by Koldgrin
I bought a Line 6 "Amplifi 150" for exactly what you want, and it works perfectly.

Just make sure you have an iOS device and a PC because you will have to upgrade the firmware and not all devices work with it.

To upgrade I went through:

1 - One PC with Windows 7. Failed upgrade.
2 - New iPhone. Failed upgrade.
3 - New iPad. Success after two attempts.

It's one of the best modelling amps you can use on the fly, a 75W is what you want for a small room, but a 150W rocks and you can easily play with it (if you have the gonads to trust bluetooth that is)

If you don't have Apple, this can be one hell of a deal to get the unit started because without the updated firmware, Line 6 killed off the ability to use the tablet software with it. It's stoooopid, but if you can overcome this problem, you have a really good modelling amp. If you don't update you are stuck with just 4 tones.

I upgraded from my Peavy 15W Vypyr to this to be able to just move through any simulated amp/effects I want. It does just that, so yeah, look into it.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
TS, reading your explanation seems to me like you'd be a perfect candidate for one of the smaller wattage Mesa's, Express 5:25, Mini Rectifier or Mark V. Look them up but it seems that they'd take care of most of the tonal needs, you have overdrive in front and for the most part you might need some echo/delay pedal, so you can get that and you'd be good to go.

I wouldn't advise digital fx unless you want to start looking for gear again in 2 years' time.