i want to remove the covers on my pickups because of some mods that i wanna do aswell as for aesthetics. when i unscrewed the screws i found that it wasn't like all the other pickups i've seen on youtube. The ones in videos are soldered in, but these seem to have some plastic rubber thing on them
any way to do this?

You cannot remove them. They're sealed.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You cannot remove them. They're sealed.

why not? what makes them different from normal covered pickups?
they are sealed in what looks to be epoxy. Even if you did get the cover off it's not going to look pretty or be something you'd want to mount onto a guitar. I'd just get a different pickup if I was you.

with humbuckers with metal baseplates / pickup covers they can just solder them together. Now with plastic covered pickups like a seymour duncan blackout which I took apart, an EMG 81 or a really cheap ebay pickup that looks like an EMG they seal them. Not sure what the pros are as I wanted to "pot" pickups in epoxy a little while ago but at the end of the day the more of the pickup that is made out of plastic the more cheaper they are to mass produce.

google what an active EMG looks like without a cover for example
Quote by Tallwood13
they are sealed in what looks to be epoxy. Even if you did get the cover off it's not going to look pretty or be something you'd want to mount onto a guitar. I'd just get a different pickup if I was you.

with humbuckers with metal baseplates / pickup covers they can just solder them together. Now with plastic covered pickups like a seymour duncan blackout which I took apart, an EMG 81 or a really cheap ebay pickup that looks like an EMG they seal them. Not sure what the pros are as I wanted to "pot" pickups in epoxy a little while ago but at the end of the day the more of the pickup that is made out of plastic the more cheaper they are to mass produce.

google what an active EMG looks like without a cover for example

wow nvm, looks like i'll be buying new pickups then. Thanks for the answer.
These are out of the RGEX, right? They're not epoxy'd in there, it's just strips of hot glue. Grab a small flathead screwdriver and pry those strips off, they'll pop off with minimal effort. I did it myself a few times to these pickups when I tried the magnet swapping trick from Lonephantom. (In fact, I just did to another set from an MTM2 no more than 15 minutes ago)

Edit: Also, there's a whole bunch of wax residue in there. They don't bother cleaning up pickups that are getting covers anyways.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Oct 11, 2015,