Hey, quick question. I'm looking for something to help me with 'silent' recording, that sorta thing. Now I see there are a lot of different things out there that don't all do exactly the same thing.

I have a tube amp, I have a 2x12 and I have mics. But I can only use this setup every once in a while (neighbors, you know the deal). So what would be my best solution?

2 products that get almost nothing but good reviews: two notes torpedo live and the koch loadbox II.
I know that the torpedo takes the cab out of the equation completely. I run my amp through the torpedo into my audio interface/daw etc, and can simulate amps/mics in the software they provide (or even on the unit itself). The koch however is different, since it doesnt take the amp out the equation, but rather lowers the volume of the output of your amp (right?).
But then I read that the Koch can also work directly like the torpedo. So can the torpedo also work with a cab, or does that not work? And lets say all I want to do is record directly (no cab), would the torpedo be worth the extra 400/500 euro's/dollars?

And a sidenote, I cant seem to find any review of the torpedo with a side by side comparison 'amp->torpedo' vs 'amp->cab' besides one from that kinda weird guy on youtube with the inside out reviews. Does anyone know where to find it, or does anyone know from personal experience?
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by bartnijman at Apr 10, 2015,
You're confusing terms here. You say the Torpedo takes the cab out of the equation, which it does, but then you say the HK takes the amp out of the equation, which I assume is not what you meant.

Anyway, at their core these two units do the same thing re: silent recording. You plug your amp head into them, and they "become" the cab, so that there is nothing making noise. Then you can plug into your DAW and have a simulated cab without making any noise. Both units have a "passthrough" feature which lets you record while also using your cab so you can make noise if you want. The Koch will allow attenuation to make the cab volume quieter, while the Torpedo only has the option for full cab volume or zero volume. In your situation this seems largely unimportant since you probably don't want any cab volume.

The Torpedo has a ton more flexibility with the software. The Koch is similar to most other previous products like the Palmer PGA/PDI series in that it has analog cab simulation. So you cannot dial in different microphone or cab models beyond the two switches you see on the front panel. Of course you can manipulate the signal in a DAW but the Torpedo is more expensive because their cab modeling/impulse system is very good and beyond what most people can manage in post-production on a DAW.

In short the Koch is an attenuator that happens to have a DI out (which is hardly uncommon these days) while the Torpedo is a loadbox specifically designed for silent recording with cab simulation.
ah nice, yeah I was getting mixed up indeed. ty
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Look up iso cabs as well - there is a Randall one that is relatively cheap:

There are bunch of other ones. You get a miked cab, at super cranked if needed (maybe little bleed) and you can even change speakers on some of these. It's like miking the real thing, maybe somewhat limited options but I'd rather go this route. My 2c
ive seen those, but are they really THAT quiet that I can crank an amp and not blow up the room i'm in? Because that would indeed be even better i guess
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
^all good ISO cabs should come with an isolation rating. Every -6db at the same distance is half SPL = half volume. Whether the ratings on specific ISO cabs is quiet enough for you, that you'll have to decide yourself.

Also, you may need reamp functionality later. In my opinion, the Torpedo Reload is one of the greatest things to ever hit the guitar market, even at its quite high price. However, I digress, and this is beside the point. If you don't go the ISO route, out of the two you listed, I'd go for the Two Notes because the software options are simply crazy, as has been said.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 12, 2015,
Also worth looking into for silent recording is the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. It's not a load box, so you'll need to plug the speaker out on your head to the 2x12 cab you have, but you can go line out on the head> the Torpedo C.A.B. and effectively get the same silent recording results as the Reload. The C.A.B. is far more inexpensive and much more portable (it's about the size of a Line 6 DL-4, t's actually supposed to be used as a pedal anyway).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Isolation cabs aren't worth the bother, honestly.

The Two-Notes setups (Live, Studio, Reload) are the way to go if you MUST have a tube amp fronting the thing.
The Two-Notes C.A.B. is a cabinet (IR) simulator and a power amp simulator designed to work with an existing preamp, such as a Pod, Triaxis, Carvin Quad-X, etc. Awesome piece of kit.