Hey everyone!

I've been looking into getting a nice reverb pedal, and I think I have narrowed down my top two choices as being the JHS Alpine and the Electro-Harmonix Cathedral. I have never owned a reverb pedal, so I don't have anything currently I could compare them to, and I haven't yet personally used either.
In my searching, I have not been able to find a side-by-side comparison between these two pedals, which surprised me considering both seem to be very highly regarded and being in a similar price range (Cathedral being ~$220 and Alpine being ~$250 new), and so here I turn to the UG Community! Anyone out there who has used both of these who can share their experience?

The two most notable differences between the two from what I can tell are that the Cathedral includes stereo in/outs, whereas the Alpine only has mono in/out, and the Alpine has an in-house effects loop that the Cathedral does not have. I do not expect I would utilize either of these features, however (maybe down the road, but very unlikely at first). The biggest draw I had to both of these pedals is the apparent versatility they both have in tone qualities.

I play a Strat, an Ibanez acoustic with a Dean Markley pickup, and a Morgan Monroe acoustic bass with built-in preamp; would either of these pedal work fine with an acoustic instrument just as an electric, and is it okay to assume a bass would work fine as well? I plan to use this during worship at church and personal home use, as well as possibly a few informal side gigs here/there.

Thank you so much for anything you can share! If you need anymore information from me to give a good response then definitely let me know, I'd be happy to share.
Last edited by thall95 at Apr 10, 2015,
The Alpine seems to be a shim verb primarily. The Cathedral can switch between different reverb types. So you will have either a really nice shim verb, or a bunch of ~decent verbs.

I prefer to use shim verbs/sparkly plate verbs myself for Church worship music, it cuts through the mix well. I would get the Alpine. I like the effects loop idea, you can coax a lot of tones out of it that way.
I don't have any experience with either of those pedals, but I would also throw the Strymon BlueSky in there as well. I am in love with my TimeLine and its well worth the money, in my opinion.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Will Lane
The Alpine seems to be a shim verb primarily. The Cathedral can switch between different reverb types. So you will have either a really nice shim verb, or a bunch of ~decent verbs.

I prefer to use shim verbs/sparkly plate verbs myself for Church worship music, it cuts through the mix well. I would get the Alpine. I like the effects loop idea, you can coax a lot of tones out of it that way.

Quote by dspellman
What are you calling a "shim" verb?

I would also like to know what exactly you mean by shim/sparkly plate 'verbs.

And this may be a stupid question but like I said, I play bass as well and was hoping I could use one of these pedals interchangeably between guitar and bass, and I want to make sure that it would work fine, or if they would kill the tone of the bass because they were designed for the pitch range of a guitar.
Last edited by thall95 at Apr 11, 2015,
I think he's refering to a shimmer effect on the reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxfNVYirCo

It's like a pad or an organ mixed in with the reverb or something.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I probably shouldn't have used the word shimmer. Really, it usually refers to octave synthesis and pitch modulation on a reverb. In the Alpine's case, it just sounded kinda bright and sparkly although it can get dark.

You should be able to use the Alpine with a bass.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 11, 2015,
Ah okay, thank you for clarifying!
I do really like the tone on the Alpine, and while I do like all the other types of voices the Cathedral offers, it seems that they are not *as* good tone quality.
I guess it seems to be a classic quality/quantity question.