How do you tell? I'm asking because I'm not sure what finish my guitar neck has. It's an Ibanez rg3exfm1. It does have some what of a shine but I wouldn't call it gloss. Does any one know?
Very very few production guitars have totally unfinished or "raw" necks. It's usually safe to assume satin unless the manufacturer specifically states otherwise (which they would).
Quote by GuitarNewbee
How do you tell? I'm asking because I'm not sure what finish my guitar neck has. It's an Ibanez rg3exfm1. It does have some what of a shine but I wouldn't call it gloss. Does any one know?

It has a Polyester finish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Most larger manufacturers are using a polyester finish these days, and if your neck isn't glossy, it's likely a satin or even a matte finish. It will never be an "unfinished" neck (though the matte finish feels a bit more like the wood itself).

Gibson still uses nitrocellulose lacquer, but not because it's a better finish. They make their money off being "traditional," and their customers expect it. It's the largest source of customer complaints and it's the biggest time-wasting obstacle in their production path. They use polyester in their other guitar lines (Epiphone, etc.), and will eventually switch as well, but they've painted themselves into a corner (quite literally) with their customers.

Some builders use "oil" finishes (Tru-Oil, tung-oil finishes, etc.), but these are largely done for looks. They're not durable finishes, nor do they protect the guitars very well, nor do they protect them from moisture/dirt. They look pretty when first done, but are designed to be closet queens. If you gig them, they'll get pretty filthy looking.
Quote by dspellman
Some builders use "oil" finishes (Tru-Oil, tung-oil finishes, etc.), but these are largely done for looks. They're not durable finishes, nor do they protect the guitars very well, nor do they protect them from moisture/dirt. They look pretty when first done, but are designed to be closet queens. If you gig them, they'll get pretty filthy looking.

The most common reason someone would use an oil finish is for the feel. Pretty much the whole 80's shred evolution were built upon oil-finished maple necks, and Charvel, Kramer, EVH and a few other manufacturers still use them exclusively.

Common sense for the use of these neck is to sand and refinish them when they get dirty.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.