Looking for a maple neck/board with "relic" wear the way bill nash does his. I was going to go through warmoth but it doesn't appear that they do wear. Are there any similarly reputable builders I could order such a neck from?
Buy some sandpaper and go nuts. It's not hard if you just want the feel and not the fake damage.

If you do want the look specifically I haven't heard of any reputable place that just does relic parts. Disreputable...take your pick on ebay
Sandpapering the back of the neck will give it that worn in feel? I had heard 000 steel wool was best? I don't want to do any unrepairable damage. It's a '13 american standard that i think has a satin finish.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Sandpapering the back of the neck will give it that worn in feel? I had heard 000 steel wool was best? I don't want to do any unrepairable damage. It's a '13 american standard that i think has a satin finish.

umm... isn't reliced damaged? yes that sandpaper would work to a degree. old strat necks were gloss not satin finished so you won't get the same look. honestly one of the things about satin finish is it has that kind of worn in not sticky feeling
Fretboard wear? Or on the back of the neck? Feel or look? I say this because if you are going for feel, rolled edges make it seem worn in, but can be had without relicing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Old Fender necks have wear in them for a number of reasons. One is low frets that increased contact with the fretboard, another nitrocellulose laquer and thirdly - they've just been around for ages.

You probably won't get that wear on a urethane finished modern neck with high frets, within a reasonable timeframe. So getting an already reliced neck is your best bet. Don't ruin a new neck by trying to relic it.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Its very difficult to relic a neck and make it look convincing. Far too many people put way too much effort into one area of the neck, that they almost literally gouge pieces out of it. The result is that it just looks like a neck that's been attacked with a hammer and some sandpaper.

The trick to relicing is to think carefully about where wear would occur, learn of how the wear occurs and use the correct tools. It is very easy to go overboard on making a neck look aged. Subtlety is what makes a relic look convincing.

I really wouldn't make your first attempt at relic'ing be done on a guitar that you care about.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 11, 2015,
Maple needs protection, that's why the Fender Maple boards were finished.
Moving on.....