Hi there;

Ok, so the most obvious thing that almost jumps right out is the placement of your listening station. Conventional wisdom says to place your speakers more or less in the middle of the shortest wall in a symmetrical room. You're in a corner, along the long wall, of a not-so-symmetrical room... and they're pointing into a corner. Good luck mixing anything in that position.

So... turn your mix desk pointing down the length of the room. Actually, I'd move it to the other end of the room in front of the window and then move your bed to the end near the door. You do have power down that end, and the room is more symmetrical where you need it.

Second - that will give you a little more room to the right and left to mount your monitors on stands. I couldn't believe the difference that made when I did it. I see you have them on pads, but that's what you do when you can't put them on stands. Get stands - proper ones that won't translate vibrations down to the floor.

I made mine for cheap, cheap, cheap. From the top down, it goes basically like this:

monitor
fabric (drapes down and wraps around like a skirt)
semi-rigid fibreglass insulation - 4"
1/2" plywood
large construction brick
large construction brick
1/2" plywood
small screws (drilled through the plywood from above and through so that the stand rests on four very tiny points on the floor)

Now... for acoustic treatment...

With a little bit of creativity, it looks like you could probably get some bass traps in all of those corners. See below for a link on how I built my own panels and traps. The best and biggest bass traps will fit in the biggest corners if you move your mix station down to the other end.

Then you can put up some broadband absorbers (acoustic panels) along the wall between the mix station and the window on the one side, and maybe mount a couple on your wardrobe doors on the other side.

Add some more on the back wall, which is the wall where those butterflies and stuff are now.

Then (and hopefully your light fixture won't be in the way....) drop a cloud (also in my link below)
in the area above and behind your mix station angled towards the wall with the butterflies. (ie angled away from the window).

That would be a great start.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105151472351939734946/albums/5666851243565868161?authkey=CMqj8aqgrZKZDQ

Note the extra information in the captions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by axemanchris
Hi there;

Ok, so the most obvious thing that almost jumps right out is the placement of your listening station. Conventional wisdom says to place your speakers more or less in the middle of the shortest wall in a symmetrical room. You're in a corner, along the long wall, of a not-so-symmetrical room... and they're pointing into a corner. Good luck mixing anything in that position.

So... turn your mix desk pointing down the length of the room. Actually, I'd move it to the other end of the room in front of the window and then move your bed to the end near the door. You do have power down that end, and the room is more symmetrical where you need it.

Second - that will give you a little more room to the right and left to mount your monitors on stands. I couldn't believe the difference that made when I did it. I see you have them on pads, but that's what you do when you can't put them on stands. Get stands - proper ones that won't translate vibrations down to the floor.

I made mine for cheap, cheap, cheap. From the top down, it goes basically like this:

monitor
fabric (drapes down and wraps around like a skirt)
semi-rigid fibreglass insulation - 4"
1/2" plywood
large construction brick
large construction brick
1/2" plywood
small screws (drilled through the plywood from above and through so that the stand rests on four very tiny points on the floor)

Now... for acoustic treatment...

With a little bit of creativity, it looks like you could probably get some bass traps in all of those corners. See below for a link on how I built my own panels and traps. The best and biggest bass traps will fit in the biggest corners if you move your mix station down to the other end.

Then you can put up some broadband absorbers (acoustic panels) along the wall between the mix station and the window on the one side, and maybe mount a couple on your wardrobe doors on the other side.

Add some more on the back wall, which is the wall where those butterflies and stuff are now.

Then (and hopefully your light fixture won't be in the way....) drop a cloud (also in my link below)
in the area above and behind your mix station angled towards the wall with the butterflies. (ie angled away from the window).

That would be a great start.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105151472351939734946/albums/5666851243565868161?authkey=CMqj8aqgrZKZDQ

Note the extra information in the captions.

CT

Awesome, thanks a lot!
No prob!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I also see that your speakers are facing a big glass window. That will really effect your mix in ways that will give you a false sense of your mids and highs. Get some nice absorbent curtains and maybe turn your mixing desk and speakers 90 degrees away from the wall and send the sound out into the room more and away from the corner and window..
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.