i'm getting new pickups and need some ideas on some good pickups that will be suitable for anything ranging from hard rock or classic rock, all the way to nice clean sounding stuff, (straty) stuff, even though i know i'll never achieve that strat tone with a humbucker, i would like something very close

my music taste can range from
metallica and iron maiden being the most harsh to stuff like funkadelic, skid row, eric clapton, aerosmith and all the way as clean as 50's style music like chuck berry and clean strat sounds.
the guitar is a basswood body with a maple neck and rosewood fret board.
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Apr 11, 2015,
Seymour Duncan JB or Custom-5 w/Jazz or '59. You might also want to look into humbucker-sized P90's or P-Rails.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
P90's or some of the more PAFish Filtertrons would work for most of that, but they might not work that well for Metallica.

PAF style pups + coil spits would work well.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Seymour Duncan Custom 5 & Jazz or '59.

Possibly a Custom/'59 Hybrid in the bridge instead, check them both out.

Might want to throw a coil split push pull in while you're at it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok thanks for the recommendations are those high output pickups? and yeah i was thinking about a split coil setup but do i really need a push pull knob? my guitar has two humbuckers but a 5 way switch. It doesnt come with split coil stock, bu5 cant i just wire it to be like that?
Quote by GuitarNewbee
ok thanks for the recommendations are those high output pickups? and yeah i was thinking about a split coil setup but do i really need a push pull knob? my guitar has two humbuckers but a 5 way switch. It doesnt come with split coil stock, bu5 cant i just wire it to be like that?

If it has HH and a 5way it probably has splits already installed, what guitar is it?

All of the pickups suggested are low to mid output iirc.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
SD Custom 5 & BKP HSP-90 Mississippi Queen
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by nick.culliton
Seymour Duncan JB or Custom-5 w/Jazz or '59. You might also want to look into humbucker-sized P90's or P-Rails.

The JB/'59 combo is a classic & versatile HB pairing.

Combos I'd add (Bridge/Neck):

RailHammer Chisel/HyperVintage
RailHammer Chisel/Gnarly90 (HB-sizedP90)
Tesla VR Extreme/OPUS 1
Tesla VR Extreme/OPUS 4
Bareknuckle Rebel Yell/Mississippi Queen (HB-sizedP90)
Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Stockholm (HB-sizedP90)
Lace Alumitone (pair)
Lace Alumitone Deathbucker/Alumitone
Rio Grande Dirty Harry (pair) with coil splitting

Check out Lollar's website, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 11, 2015,
If you have the budget for it, check out custom winders like The Creamery or Vintage Vibe. You will NOT be sorry.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by boblittle
If it has HH and a 5way it probably has splits already installed, what guitar is it?

All of the pickups suggested are low to mid output iirc.

What does the output effect? Does it make it more trebly the higher output it is? And my guitar is an Ibanez rg... It doesn't have split's. It's parallel and some other setting
^ generally speaking more output means either more volume if the amp is dialled in completely clean or (more likely in most real world situations) more distortion for any given distortion setting on the amp. for example, a high output pickup with the distortion knob set to 4 might have a similar amount of distortion to a lower output pickup with the distortion knob set to 7.

everything else being equal, more output normally also means a more middy, darker tonality, but you can also compensate for that when winding the pickup (I'm no pickup winder so that's a gross oversimplification) so that you can have high output, but also bright, pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?