Hey!

I play on an Orange OR 15 head. I admit I'm a tube amp noob, but I started just recently messing with the tubes, to get an even better sound of it. Worked great until today, as I had some cut off in the signal, and then it just died...

Let me explain, I swapped some tubes and went to rehearsal. The amp wasn't as loud as it used to be as (I recall) and I had to "push it to 11" to hear myself and that's when the signal was cutting every 5 seconds for just a second each time. I turned it off, made sure it wasn't my gear or my guitar and played on an other amp. Back home I tested the amp again, worked fine until I pushed to the max again, that's when the signal cut off with a little "pop" noise, and never came back!

Here's the symptoms and stuff I can describe:
The power light in the front is working, no sound when changing speakers, speaker cables, swapping each tube with spare ones doesn't work, all the tubes are lit.

Here's what i'm thinking, when manipulating the V2 preamp tube, I used a paper tissue (I saw a Mesa Boogie guy on Youtube doing it) but it got stuck between the tube pin and the stocket, so i removed the tube and the tissue and put the tube back in. I'm thinking a small part of it got stucked it the stocket..

UG, could you give me an opinion on what's wrong?
Thanks!

EDIT: I checked again, the V2 slot seems to be working properly, lights the tubes like the other sockets.
Last edited by flaphead325 at Apr 12, 2015,
It might have

Take the amp out of the chassis if you have not already done so and look in the socket. use something non-conductive like a tooth pick if there is some paper in it.

Check the HT fuse on the PCB. if it is blown (which it probably is) replace it with the exact same type of fuse.

What you experienced makes me believe the power tube blew, so get a new set of el84 (JJ are about the best being made right now)

DO NOT JUST GO POKING AROUND IN THE AMP, THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES STILL IN IT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
DO NOT JUST GO POKING AROUND IN THE AMP, THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES STILL IN IT

Thanks a lot for the advice

I'll try that. But do you think tubes should be handled with a tissue or is it just because the tech from the mesa boogie video was planning on selling them later on?
Quote by flaphead325
Thanks a lot for the advice

I'll try that. But do you think tubes should be handled with a tissue or is it just because the tech from the mesa boogie video was planning on selling them later on?

No that is total BS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's good to know hehe.. Thanks!

I checked the fuse, it's definetly blown. Is the fuse supposed to avoid power tubes from blowing too?

And also, does changing a 12ax7 by a 12at7 needs some adjustements in a cathode bias amp? I just plugged and play...

(I'm anxious to know since I can't buy anything until monday )
Last edited by flaphead325 at Apr 12, 2015,
The fuse is to protect the power supply mainly. Mainly from blown power tubes.

Plug and play.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100