I own an older Johnson Strat that I received from a friend's dad about a year or two ago. It plays well, but recently I've been having problem's with the volume. A few days ago the sound started cutting out, so I tried my other amp, but it still wasn't working properly. I came to find that it might be the volume knob itself. If I turn the knob far enough left, I eventually get sound, but the problem is that the moment I let go of the knob it goes back to the distorted, choppiness that it was before. But I also noticed that there was a nut at the bottom of the knob, so I was wondering if I were to try and tighten that nut, would it work?

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!
"Tell me why they painted us with guilt. They said that we're not good enough; the only thing we're guilty of is never giving up!" -"Nothing Left to Lose (Acoustic)", by Woe, Is Me
you need to spray the pots/switches with electrical contact cleaner
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
you need to spray the pots/switches with electrical contact cleaner

Ah. Okay. Thanks!
"Tell me why they painted us with guilt. They said that we're not good enough; the only thing we're guilty of is never giving up!" -"Nothing Left to Lose (Acoustic)", by Woe, Is Me
So I'm going to buy the cleaner, but before I do, the nut on the output jack is loose. Would that effect the volume in any way?
It could cause this issue, although the fact that you have to manipulate the pot makes it the prime suspect.

Tighten the output jack from the inside. Do not just tighten the nut on the outside of the guitar, you'll twist the wires inside and break them off. You can hold the jack from the inside and tighten the outer nut to get it snug. A little clear nail polish on the threads can help it stay put for a bit longer.

The pot sounds either dirty or like it may have a bad connection. If cleaning does nothing you may need to re-solder the contacts, or replace the pot entirely. They're cheap and need to be replaced eventually anyway, so don't shy away from that option.