I only started getting into jazz about six months ago, and I've only played jazz for about two months now. I'd like to have some feedback on this song that I wrote that is the first Jazz song I've made, if it's against the rules somehow you can move or close the thread. But I think that MT is the best place for musical advice around here.

Here's the track:

https://soundcloud.com/tk95/paahde

I came up with the intro chord progression when trying to improvise in Mixolydian, but the pull of functional harmony was too strong so I filled the framework with the Dm7 chord. So the basic chord progression in the intro is A7-Em7-Dm7. I guess that it's a mix of A major and A minor, the root being a major chord with a borrowed G note from A minor. The verses are a basic A7-Em7 vamp which was meant to be a Mixolydian framework. The third progression was meant to be a slight modulation to E minor. The melodies over the third progression are improvised.

I know that the recording is of dodgy quality, and that my guitar is out of tune and that I'm a bit out of time, but it was made in a hurry. The bass is also performed by me, the basslines revolve around a simple pentatonic idea.

Any tips or ideas for an aspiring jazz musician? Is this song even Jazz? I'd appreciate any feedback and especially harsh criticism. Thanks
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Jazz is more about... Giant Steps.

I'll keep that in mind
I figured that it was probably a band or a musician because of the capital letters I'll check them out.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I figured that it was probably a band or a musician because of the capital letters I'll check them out.

Don't. Giant Steps sucks. It's fast as hell and lacks any kind of direction. Pure garbage to me. lol.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Apr 11, 2015,
"**** that shit, everyone’s played it, it’s 50 years old, it sounds like crap, write a new song, and stop playing that God damn song. I don’t care if you can ****ing modulate it and change shit up, you can play it in seven, you can play it in nine: it’s ****ing boring. That’s what I think about Giant Steps."

Hahahaha.

Back to the topic:

Don't worry about it. Jazz in general isn't something you learn in a week, or a month. "Jazz theory" isn't that different from classical theory, either.

Btw, the link to your soundcloud is broken, so I can't listen to it.
I know, but I have to start somewhere It's not going to be my main genre anyway, just thought I'd ask for some opinions.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I know, but I have to start somewhere It's not going to be my main genre anyway, just thought I'd ask for some opinions.

Which I would give you if the link worked.
Quote by Elintasokas
"**** that shit, everyone’s played it, it’s 50 years old, it sounds like crap, write a new song, and stop playing that God damn song. I don’t care if you can ****ing modulate it and change shit up, you can play it in seven, you can play it in nine: it’s ****ing boring. That’s what I think about Giant Steps."

>new
>jazz

Pick one.

Quote by Kevätuhri

I like the chords, but I think the lead guitar could use a bit of variety. It's a bit repetitive and it sounds kind of shy and careful, like you're afraid to go all out and put some energy into the playing.
The chords are my favourite part of the track, I've been thinking of re-recording it with better quality and extending the improvised parts, and probably adding improvised sections around the head as well. I feel like there's not much improv for a jazz song here.
Yeah, I'm not sure if this is actually Jazz. At least it doesn't sound like the traditional jazz with a lot of II-V-I harmony, tritone subs, chromatic passing chords/tones and shit.

I'm glad it doesn't sound like Giant Steps, though.

To me it sounds more like the Holdsworth kind (fusion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNAHOcZ6NxM
True, there actually was a II-V-I in the first draft of the chords but I scrapped it as I like this one better. I also thought of tritone subs, but never got to the point of utilizing them. I guess that the genre doesn't really matter as long as it sounds fine, but then it wouldn't fill it's purpose as my "first jazz song". I'm going to flesh it out more though, I'm growing more fond of the chords the more I play around with them.

EDIT: ^^Well I've been listening to some fusion a lot lately, so maybe it's subconscious influence? Most of Holdsworths stuff goes over my head though, but I still can't deny his talent.
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Apr 11, 2015,
Btw, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have any improv. You can make Jazz without it if you want :P
Sure Usually just doing what's fun is what works for me. But improvisation is fun, so I just might add some. And ambient slide guitar, that's a particular favorite of mine.
Don't be hating on giant steps. Yes, I believe that it is done way too many times by different people. But really I find Trane's stuff around that time to be more about voice and language than about a story or direction. Kinda like a haiku as opposed to a novel. It's just a different type of music.
Like a lot of other musical forms, jazz is a "big tent". You'd likely have a hard time coming up wth a working definition..... But I think most would include "improvisation" at some point.

Just in regards to jazz guitar, we have everything from big-band comping, to accompaniment for a vocalist, to small-group/combo playing, to solo guitar.
We can play traditional "standards" any way we like, or modern fusion, or whatever you would call what folks like Pat Metheny do, or various other sorts of fusions like Grisman's "Dawg" music and Gypsy jazz and "jazzgrass"....

I could go on even further.

I remember when Barney Kessel was interviewed in Guitar Player years ago,, commenting on the theory-heavy young lads coming out of Berklee and other big schools. "They are having some kind of musical experience, but it's not a jazz experience."
To Kessel, jazz was about improvisation and playing and communicating with other musicians.

I'm working on solo guitar...Chord melody stuff played fingerstyle. Mostly standards, I work up a basic arrangement and then see where I can take it.
Joe Pass gave this advice...."Figure out the melody, then find chords that sound good."

I'm taking Joe's advice.
Your song didn't sound that jazzy to me. But who cares? I think it sounded pretty good, though as Elintasokas said, the lead sounded a bit shy. (Reminds me a bit of our band's guitarist when he played in school - he always turned the amp's volume down and played really softly with his fingers.)

It's also nice to see another Finn here.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I liked it

It surprised me. In the beginning of the track I was kinda like: "WTF is this?" And then a few seconds later it got groovy in a direction I wasn't expecting. I like that. Keep up the good work.
Well, it's nice that it sounds good anyway And I am just the kind of a guy who plays with his amp off. But the track might be a bit too laid back, I see your point in that.

Torilla tavataan? I actually hate that "meme", but it's somewhat appropriate.