Page 1 of 2
I've been looking at guitars for a while, and I found one that does everything that I want it to. The only issue is it's a V. I love the look of V guitars, and I already play in the classical position so a V would be perfect. But I think that I would look ridiculous playing a V. So, how much should I allow things like this to affect my purchases.

This is the guitar I'm looking at.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9796-v-300-blk?category_id=1963356-v

Like I said, it's exactly the guitar I want, I just think I would look hilarious playing it.
It depends. Why would you look ridiculous? If you're playing metal, go for it! I play a V. And I actually LOVE that V in particular. But it you just want those specs (In a strat shape) I have some recommendations.=D
As with almost everything looks are subjective so I won't say I how think the guitar you posted looks. For me the looks for the guitar don't matter very much unless I am going to get a custom guitar made. So the main thing for me would just be the playability and the sound of the guitar.

However if you feel strongly about the looks of the guitar as well I would say to look around some more until you find a guitar that has more things you are looking for in it. It's your money so you can be as picky as you'd like! Although if you are too picky you may never pick a guitar hahaha.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
The way something looks is really important, even to those who say that looks don't matter. The way a guitar looks affects the way they play it, even if it doesn't seem like it does. Because people naturally tend to hear things and feel things with their eyes.

And besides, having something that looks good encourages you to play the guitar more, and you become a better player as a result.

With that said, its impossible to quantify how much you should let how a guitar looks affect your purchase compared to other factors. You can make that decision yourself, but looks do affect everyone.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The way something looks is really important, even to those who say that looks don't matter. The way a guitar looks affects the way they play it, even if it doesn't seem like it does. Because people naturally tend to hear things and feel things with their eyes.

And besides, having something that looks good encourages you to play the guitar more, and you become a better player as a result.

don't agree exactly. your perception of how things look is the issue not actually how it looks. people are funny about how they are perceived whether it's an actual thing or just in their head. a confident player can rock any guitar as long as it is up to the job. play Slayer on a Hellow Kitty strat, sure why not. as long as you play the songs with authority then the perception can be changed. you can say look at the guy playing a stupid guitar "or" damn that is evil using a guitar with a kids cartoon on it to play "evil" music. seems more evil when you think about than the guitar with a demon painted on it. ya know twisted.

looks are secondary for me. i want a guitar that plays well and sounds good. sure that flaming pink guitar might not be my first choice but if when i play it it calls to me then hey what the hell. if you are confident as a player then you can make that guitar seem "cool" to your audience. the first step is that you have to believe.
Quote by monwobobbo
don't agree exactly. your perception of how things look is the issue not actually how it looks. people are funny about how they are perceived whether it's an actual thing or just in their head. a confident player can rock any guitar as long as it is up to the job. play Slayer on a Hellow Kitty strat, sure why not. as long as you play the songs with authority then the perception can be changed. you can say look at the guy playing a stupid guitar "or" damn that is evil using a guitar with a kids cartoon on it to play "evil" music. seems more evil when you think about than the guitar with a demon painted on it. ya know twisted.

There is a certain appeal with playing a guitar that looks juxtaposed with the style of music that's being played. Again, its all a perception thing as you've said. Some guitars are so far detached from the style of music they're playing that the guitar is bought specifically for the irony. That still counts as people hearing and feeling things with their eyes.

Sure the perception of how something looks can be changed, but when you're buying a guitar new, that change in perception doesn't yet exist. There psychologically not much else to go off when buying a guitar and knowing if it suits your needs, without any prior experience, other than the specs, the way it looks and/or any famous player associated with it. And marketing likes to take advantage of that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by GraceByDeath
It depends. Why would you look ridiculous? If you're playing metal, go for it! I play a V. And I actually LOVE that V in particular. But it you just want those specs (In a strat shape) I have some recommendations.=D

I think I would look funny because I am not Abbath Or Hetfield. You mentioned that you had this specific guitar, is there anything that you dislike about it?

Quote by NougatOfficial
As with almost everything looks are subjective so I won't say I how think the guitar you posted looks. For me the looks for the guitar don't matter very much unless I am going to get a custom guitar made. So the main thing for me would just be the playability and the sound of the guitar.

However if you feel strongly about the looks of the guitar as well I would say to look around some more until you find a guitar that has more things you are looking for in it. It's your money so you can be as picky as you'd like! Although if you are too picky you may never pick a guitar hahaha.

I really like the way the guitar looks, but I feel like I would come off as trying too hard to be 'Metal' if I played it. Does that make any sense or am I just being stupid?
Don't overthink it. If a guitar makes you happy and you like the looks of it, then buy it. Its as simple as that.

This sort of question is entirely subjective in nature. I personally think that it looks a bit poserish to buy something like a signature guitar that makes itself obvious that it is a signature guitar because it gives the more blatant appearance that you're trying to be a copycat of someone. But that's just me. The vast majority of people you're going to be playing your guitar in front of are not going to care about what guitar you have. Really only guitar players themselves care.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by monwobobbo
play Slayer on a Hellow Kitty strat, sure why not.

tbh I'd be more comfortable playing Slayer on a Hello Kitty guitar than on a BC Rich which is what Kerry actually uses. With a Hello Kitty or Flower or whatever guitar it's fun, with a BC Rich I'd feel like a wannabe tryhard metalhead, and I ****ing hate that.

So yes, looks clearly affect my purchase. One minor of the reasons I bought my Charvel was its understated looks, I don't want one of those spikey metal thingies, but thus, yes looks play a vital part in my choice. My So-Cal looks like a Strat, great. I wouldn't have touched it if it had a Warlock or whatever they call it shape.

But when I'm on stage playing Mayhem-style black metal, a Hello Kitty guitar would look kinda misplaced. Even my Charvel is just borderline acceptable there.

So yea, I hate it, but looks do matter.
Well if it you don't like the look of it so much you wouldn't want to play it then don't get it.

From what you're describing it sounds like it's what you want, so no problem there.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Knarrenheino
tbh I'd be more comfortable playing Slayer on a Hello Kitty guitar than on a BC Rich which is what Kerry actually uses. With a Hello Kitty or Flower or whatever guitar it's fun, with a BC Rich I'd feel like a wannabe tryhard metalhead, and I ****ing hate that.

So yes, looks clearly affect my purchase. One minor of the reasons I bought my Charvel was its understated looks, I don't want one of those spikey metal thingies, but thus, yes looks play a vital part in my choice. My So-Cal looks like a Strat, great. I wouldn't have touched it if it had a Warlock or whatever they call it shape.

But when I'm on stage playing Mayhem-style black metal, a Hello Kitty guitar would look kinda misplaced. Even my Charvel is just borderline acceptable there.

So yea, I hate it, but looks do matter.

ok but i play blues with a BC Rich. just think how many odd looks you get when strollng in to a blues jam night sporting one (granted it's an Eagle which is tamer than your average BCR but still not blues approved by any means). don't care and that is a big part of it for me. i'm really not the type that worries to much about what others think. who cares. if that BC Rich is the right guitar to play for "metal" then hey play it n f*ck em if anyone says anything about it. (metal tude)

not saying i don't have preferences just that they aren't the final determining factor when choosing a guitar. i've tried a few that i would have never given a second thought to and ended up buying them cuz they just had "it".
Quote by Cheeseshark
I think I would look funny because I am not Abbath Or Hetfield. You mentioned that you had this specific guitar, is there anything that you dislike about it?

Lots of big name players have used Vs, and not all of them are metal.

I really like the way the guitar looks, but I feel like I would come off as trying too hard to be 'Metal' if I played it. Does that make any sense or am I just being stupid?

You're overthinking "cool".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by Cheeseshark
Like I said, it's exactly the guitar I want

Then get it - it's about what makes you happy.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lots of big name players have used Vs, and not all of them are metal.

You're overthinking "cool".

I'm beginning to think the same thing. Oh, and thanks for those pictures, I've never seen Hendrix play anything but his upside down strat or Brian May anything but the Red Special. I don't recognize the 1st 3rd and 5th guys from top to bottom though, who are they?

Quote by HenryB
Then get it - it's about what makes you happy.

I think I might do just that.

Thanks guys.
Quote by Cheeseshark
I'm beginning to think the same thing. Oh, and thanks for those pictures, I've never seen Hendrix play anything but his upside down strat or Brian May anything but the Red Special. I don't recognize the 1st 3rd and 5th guys from top to bottom though, who are they?

Lonnie Mack, Albert King (Having to ask who Albert King is should be a crime) and Steven Seagal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
lonnie mack - late 50s-early 60s played blues and rock

albert king - blues legend

steven segal - will kick your ass for not knowing him
Quote by monwobobbo
ok but i play blues with a BC Rich. just think how many odd looks you get when strollng in to a blues jam night sporting one (granted it's an Eagle which is tamer than your average BCR but still not blues approved by any means). don't care and that is a big part of it for me. i'm really not the type that worries to much about what others think. who cares. if that BC Rich is the right guitar to play for "metal" then hey play it n f*ck em if anyone says anything about it. (metal tude)

heh that's the spirit. I feel the same, but I always think the metal community is very conservative. Well **** them ****ers.
Quote by monwobobbo

steven segal - will kick your ass for not knowing him

IF he can catch you.

If he does, then it is Steven Seagal: Against Balls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Frt0X2ojDQ&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I care a great deal about how my guitars look but a bit less about how I look playing them.
Makes sense to me- most people look like morons at some point when they play.

Quote by xnameisonx
I thought the Flying V was originally designed to be a blues guitar anyway...

Metal wasn't around in 1958
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
That's nice go for it, I just got the dirty Lemmon color les Paul I like that color,
It's all personal choice. What you think about how the guitar looks on you and how it plays is up to you. When it comes to playing live 99% of the audience don't know what make your guitar is and 100% of them don't give a F*!k.

BTW, anyone old enough to remember, the v May is playing was a tobacco sunburst with cream binding from about 83ish. They we limited editions and there was a matching Explorer to go with it. Both were in my local music shop..A1 in Manchester and I used to drool down the glass of the cabinet they were in. I couldn't afford them at the time. Anyone got a Tardis I can borrow?
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Last edited by crackerjack123 at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

With that said, its impossible to quantify how much you should let how a guitar looks affect your purchase compared to other factors. You can make that decision yourself, but looks do affect everyone.

+1

This one is even more difficult than most in that you like the look of a V, but don't like how you look with a V. You're on your own, I'm afraid.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cheeseshark

Wait, I get it -- it's not the GUITAR's looks that you're concerned about, but what someone else will think if they see YOU playing that guitar.

This is about your ego getting in your way.

Give that some thought, because it's likely keeping you from a LOT of things that could be great fun. If you're spending too much time worrying about what other people think, it's time to break out.
Quote by dspellman
Wait, I get it -- it's not the GUITAR's looks that you're concerned about, but what someone else will think if they see YOU playing that guitar.

This is about your ego getting in your way.

Give that some thought, because it's likely keeping you from a LOT of things that could be great fun. If you're spending too much time worrying about what other people think, it's time to break out.

This is pretty true.

The other thing I'd say, even though it's a bit of a silly cliche, is that if you think people will look at you and judge you for how you look with the guitar, learn to play in a way that'll make them look again and rethink their opinion. If you like the guitar, you should get the guitar. I put an impulse deposit on one of these last December:

About 80% of the comments I've had on it have been "That's a f*cking ugly guitar", and part of me agrees. I don't care because I love playing the guitar. The fact is that people will judge you for something no matter what, so when you're dropping $$$ on a guitar you might as well get the one you want.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd say get the V, there's no guitar too much odd-looking to be played, there are just guitarists with not enough personality to play them and anyway the V has been played by many guitarists in many different genres, in my opinion you are overthinking it. Said that, I wanted to finish a guitar violet/purple but pretty much abandoned the idea because I'm afraid it would look too girly

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Quote by billyTheShears
Said that, I wanted to finish a guitar violet/purple but pretty much abandoned the idea because I'm afraid it would look too girly

Live a little, if anyone says anything you can just say "It's ironic, you wouldn't understand "
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Purple guitars are girly?

Isn't some metalhead's sig guitar a purple PRS? And what about all those gorgeous purple Carvin superstrat NGDs on this site over the past 18 months or so?

Purple was once reserved for EMPERORS.

Get yer damn purple axe

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Live a little, if anyone says anything you can just say "It's ironic, you wouldn't understand "

Since that guitar is going to have a female name my official explanation would be that the girl is not me, but her

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Who cares what other people think!

It is your decision and your guitar experience. If it feels 100% right go for it.

Jimi played his V's for blues and Albert King was the inspiration. The V he is shown with is the 3rd V he was seen with. He had a hand painted '67 and sunburst then the black/gold lefthanded one.

The only thing is pointy guitars makes people think metal but if the guitar feels right and looks right it does not matter. You pick it up because part of you love the way it looks weird shape and all.

Looks matter! The question is how much does it matter to you? Does the words made in Mexico rather than made in USA bother you? Does the shape put you of? The color?

Done right people should go: wow that guitar is cool or wow that sounds amazing.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Apr 12, 2015,
I actually don't own that V. I just love it's look. lol. And it seems specs wise to be a pretty sweet guitar. Though I'd prefer an EMG 85 in the neck and an ebony fingerboard...
Quote by GraceByDeath
Though I'd prefer an EMG 85 in the neck and an ebony fingerboard...

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/vortex/vortex-deluxe.html

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/v-hawk/v-hawk-deluxe.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2015,
It is immensely important to me, not because of what other folks thinks, but because I wouldn't pick it up and play it if I didn't like the look. And, as far as an audience goes, you can use the attitude "I'm good, I don't care what you think about my guitar".

Has anyone mentioned that Albert King played a V because has was left-handed? When he started, it was hard to find left-handed guitars with good access to the high frets, and the symmetry of the V allowed him to use a rh guitar left-handed. A good example of treating the instruments as a working tool, not an object d'arte.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 12, 2015,
Does anyone else find it strange when people deny the importance of look? Is sight a lesser sense than hearing? Why not also have visual art and aesthetics aside music - we already seem fine with adding the literary arts through lyrics
Quote by Vlasco
Is sight a lesser sense than hearing?

In music, it often is. Especially when you're listening to albums. I have no idea how they or their equipment looked like in the studio, all I know is how it sounds.
Quote by Vlasco
Does anyone else find it strange when people deny the importance of look? Is sight a lesser sense than hearing? Why not also have visual art and aesthetics aside music - we already seem fine with adding the literary arts through lyrics

dude when your cruising down the road in your car listening to a tune can you see them? no. music is about hearing. do i even give any real consideration to what color or shape the guitar player's guitar was... no.

never said that looks were totally unimportant just that they should be a secondary consideration. for instance if the old lady comes to the guitar shop with me and looks she'lll often ask which guitar would i want. the answer often is some plain looking axe. she goes by how pretty the guitar looks without any consideration to how it sounds or plays. as a guitar player i would have to go by other criteria.
I agree that it means nothing for another person's guitar on an album but it might make a difference to the person recording the album. I play a bit better on a guitar that looks nice. It's not an either or situation either, you can almost always find something that looks, sounds, and plays great.
Last edited by Vlasco at Apr 12, 2015,
Page 1 of 2