Im getting new pickups and putting them on my Ibanez which comes is a two humbucker guitar but with a 5 way swtich.
the stock positons aren't what I'd like them to be

I want the position as follows
1bridge humbucker
2. Bridge split coil
3.neck and bridge humbucker
4. Neck split coil
5. Neck humbucker

The guitar comes with one, three and five but the other two positions are different. Like parallel or something.
without push pull pots or a super 5 way switch there is only one way that this would work and it's not a very practical wiring.

take the fender "auto-split" wiring which is how Ibanez RG guitars are wired and and make the hot leads from the two humbuckers become volumes. It's not something I'd recommend unless it's like an HSH guitar though.

so pretty much in position 2 / 4 you would have to put a volume to 0% to get a coilsplit of the other pickup. Honestly I'd rather just get a push pull pot or something instead. It makes life way easier.

this is your diagram , make it 2 volumes though. Without the single coil in the middle you'd still have some use for this wiring.

it may be easier just to do this to a tone knob you're not using as 10$ or so for a CTS push pull pot is a lot of walking around money. Don't go with the cheap import push pull pots by the way they don't last which is why I'm recommending CTS right away.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 12, 2015,
My guitar is indeed an Ibanez rg, but it only has two knobs which are volume and tone. Would I need push pull knobs for Both the volume and the tone or just for one? And if chose to use the tone knob only Will it stop working for tone adjustments?
an RG with a HSH configuration right?

if so put the guitar in position 3 where you are isolating the single coil and see if that buzz is ok with you because the easiest mod to do is a coil-split where you isolate a coil in a humbucker (use half of the bridge or neck). The good news is you can use just one pot to coilsplit both pickups.

so if coilsplit is ok with you that will be diagram #1

if you want a hum cancelling variant called parallel aka a coiltap it is option 2. It's amazing for cleans but the output isn't as loud as a coilsplit. Some argue it's around 25-30% of the output. With parallel it's a little trickier to wire and you'll need two push pull pots or a super 5 way. Super 5 ways are much more expensive and difficult to wire.

if there is three wires on your pickups like the last two Ibanez RG350s I worked on your job is somewhat easier but if not consult guitarelectronics.com as color codes are important for parallel. My best advice is when you're done soldering to tap the pickups with something magnetic when the guitar is plugged in with your average amount of volume and distortion and listen for a tap. Coiltap/coilsplits are quieter than a full powered pickup.

super 5 way wirings I suggest guitarelectronics.com but adding the middle pickup to it is kind of monotonous. But anyways.. here's two diagrams. Just focus on the push pull and wire the bottom three contacts on every pot made the normal way These can be tone or volume to be the push pull it's preference.

this is a coilsplit , you get the buzz and only need one push pull for both pickups

and parallel , do this to both pots individually as it's impossible any other way
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 13, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
an RG with a HSH configuration right?

if so put the guitar in position 3 where you are isolating the single coil and see if that buzz is ok with you because the easiest mod to do is a coil-split where you isolate a coil in a humbucker (use half of the bridge or neck). The good news is you can use just one pot to coilsplit both pickups.

so if coilsplit is ok with you that will be diagram #1

if you want a hum cancelling variant called parallel aka a coiltap it is option 2. It's amazing for cleans but the output isn't as loud as a coilsplit. Some argue it's around 25-30% of the output. With parallel it's a little trickier to wire and you'll need two push pull pots or a super 5 way. Super 5 ways are much more expensive and difficult to wire.

if there is three wires on your pickups like the last two Ibanez RG350s I worked on your job is somewhat easier but if not consult guitarelectronics.com as color codes are important for parallel. My best advice is when you're done soldering to tap the pickups with something magnetic when the guitar is plugged in with your average amount of volume and distortion and listen for a tap. Coiltap/coilsplits are quieter than a full powered pickup.

super 5 way wirings I suggest guitarelectronics.com but adding the middle pickup to it is kind of monotonous. But anyways.. here's two diagrams. Just focus on the push pull and wire the bottom three contacts on every pot made the normal way These can be tone or volume to be the push pull it's preference.

this is a coilsplit , you get the buzz and only need one push pull for both pickups

and parallel , do this to both pots individually as it's impossible any other way

nope, its an ibanez rg with just two humbuckers
oh even better if you do go with a super 5 way switch here's a good idea. Just remember your ground wires go to the same places as guitarelectronics.com can be pretty lazy with grounding wires but besides that you'll do fine
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH5L11_05/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers5-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume1-Tone-05.html

but I'd probably go with a push pull for now it's much easier to wire. Doing a super 5 way switch is a much more difficult job and the switch is around 30-50$.
Quote by Tallwood13
oh even better if you do go with a super 5 way switch here's a good idea. Just remember your ground wires go to the same places as guitarelectronics.com can be pretty lazy with grounding wires but besides that you'll do fine
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH5L11_05/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers5-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume1-Tone-05.html

but I'd probably go with a push pull for now it's much easier to wire. Doing a super 5 way switch is a much more difficult job and the switch is around 30-50$.

thanks for sticking around and answering my questions, and yeah i'll most likely go with the push pull knobs.