Page 1 of 3
I haven't seen a thread on this so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know there's been numerous studies about it desensitizing people to violence and also making people violent. While I completely agree that it does desensitize people to violence it definitely doesn't make people violent. I know some people believe it does for some reason.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
I just play platformers and I have not developed any desire to jump around yet
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

people can do all sorts of things, without the practice of video games. Ban super violent worst video game ever, you have to ban the films, and the music, and etc

basically, i'd sayjust bout as much as anything
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I think as long as the line between fantasy violence and literal violence is clear, it's ok.
That understanding is entirely dependent on the person, however.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I just play platformers and I have not developed any desire to jump around yet

jump up, jump up and get down
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Baby Joel
people can do all sorts of things, without the practice of video games. Ban super violent worst video game ever, you have to ban the films, and the music, and etc

basically, i'd sayjust bout as much as anything

Well there are certain movies that have emotional scarred kids forever so i think movies are worse.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Quote by hurricane0202
Well there are certain movies that have emotional scarred kids forever so i think movies are worse.

yeah but so what
it comes down to parenting. If I saw Rise of a Nation when I was six, that's some real crap parenting.

children have so many social interactions every day, that video games really arne't the biggest deal
it's all coming back

No they do not, there was a long term study that proved that the "games make kids violent" is bullshit
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Lag makes me violent sometimes.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored

True that
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Quote by Cardbored

actually yeah, that's very true

and wow, one story about someone who was clearly mentally unstable. Not like people have been murdering each other for literally thousands of years prior to Mario.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
i played mortal kombat ii this one time & now im a sociopath

Quote by Cardbored
Obvious correlation between poor internet connection and violence here. The government should give us all free high speed internet before we all murder each other.
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by behind_you
Obvious correlation between poor internet connection and violence here. The government should give us all free high speed internet before we all murder each other

And tell those little fvckers to stop camping too cowardly little shits
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
No they do not, there was a long term study that proved that the "games make kids violent" is bullshit

I'm gonna have to question the way you're interpreting scientific literature and the word "prove" again because when studies are conducted, especially in psychology, the researchers never seek to "prove" anything. Could you link this study?

Here's what the APA has to say about violence in video games:

A 2010 review by psychologist Craig A. Anderson and others concluded that “the evidence strongly suggests that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, and aggressive affect and for decreased empathy and prosocial behavior.

Additionally, here are some myths as explained by the APA about the relationship between violence in video games based on Anderson's study.

Here's the abstract of the meta-analytic review by Anderson & Bushman. I can see if I can find the full text of this and the original study if you want to see it.

In any case, if such a study were to actually come to light in the realm of psychology, Albert Bandura's social learning theory (especially the Bobo Doll Experiment) would need some serious revamping and it's still in the curriculum in my two years as a psychology major.
I think video games make people less violent, generally. If you're feeling angry, there's no need to go out on a mass killing spree. Just go on some violent game and kill people on there!

Once you've finished, throw your controller at the wall or something, to prove how non-violent you are. (walls and controllers have no feeling so it doesn't count as violence)
I have nothing important to say
Quote by behind_you
Obvious correlation between poor internet connection and violence here. The government should give us all free high speed internet before we all murder each other.

wee, then I could play stuff with strat again and watch strims
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Video game designers cannot be held responsible for the actions of stupid kids.

Stopping kids from doing dumb shit is the parent's responsibility. The rating system exists to help parents enact that responsibility.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm gonna have to question the way you're interpreting scientific literature and the word "prove" again because when studies are conducted, especially in psychology, the researchers never seek to "prove" anything. Could you link this study?

Here's what the APA has to say about violence in video games:

Additionally, here are some myths as explained by the APA about the relationship between violence in video games based on Anderson's study.

Here's the abstract of the meta-analytic review by Anderson & Bushman. I can see if I can find the full text of this and the original study if you want to see it.

In any case, if such a study were to actually come to light in the realm of psychology, Albert Bandura's social learning theory (especially the Bobo Doll Experiment) would need some serious revamping and it's still in the curriculum in my two years as a psychology major.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/full

Its not like psychologists have ever had ulterior motives or been wrong about anything in the past tho. I remember reading a lot about Horror movies having the same effect on young males... But alas, that was bullshit apparently, seeing as crime and assault rates have been steadily declining still
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 11, 2015,
so what is that supposed to mean, "to make violent" ?

is it really the case that 'propensity for violence' is some deep parameter of individuals? is it like a currency you gain from watching violent media that you put in a CD until your 18th and spend on a pistol & the will to rape and murder a prostitute?

that sounds ridiculous, right? even if it were true, there are so many other parameters. how could a hidden propensity for violence be so strong? yet whenever these threads come up, or threads where white people talk about black people killing each other, or really anytime violence comes on the mind of the news, it's the same awful, reductionist determinism. or, if video games are involved, some fresh technologically deterministic hell.

i would be interested in seeing how explanations of violence differ wrt race, sexuality, and class.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I think the gaming community tends to make people more violent then the games content itself. I know plenty of people who have punched holes in their walls cause some guy online pissed them off.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
related

are all violent offenders necessarily mentally ill? if so, what does that statement mean practically?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by hurricane0202
I think the gaming community tends to make people more violent then the games content itself. I know plenty of people who have punched holes in their walls cause some guy online pissed them off.

And people start fights at clubs here literally every weekend, do clubs make people violent? Loud house music? Alcohol?

(last one does but shut up)
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Meaning that the competitiveness of video games literally enrages people to the point to where they get violent. I don't know if I would call them mentally ill, but some people take video games way too serious.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Quote by hurricane0202
Meaning that the competitiveness of video games literally enrages people to the point to where they get violent. I don't know if I would call them mentally ill, but some people take video games way too serious.

Sports do the same thing tho

so does anything competitive

all things competitive must be banned

its for the greater good.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Competitiveness is fun though, everybody love to beat somebody else at something and prove how awesome they are
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Competitiveness is fun though, everybody love to beat somebody else at something and prove how awesome they are

not allowed now

greater good
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/full

Its not like psychologists have ever had ulterior motives or been wrong about anything in the past tho. I remember reading a lot about Horror movies having the same effect on young males... But alas, that was bullshit apparently, seeing as crime and assault rates have been steadily declining still

Okay, this is what I'm trying to say in the other thread.

Have a look at the last sentence of the abstract:

Videogame consumption is associated with a decline in youth violence rates. Results suggest that societal consumption of media violence is not predictive of increased societal violence rates.

That study didn't prove anything. If you read study 2, he didn't actually seek to demonstrate a relationship. It seems to me, just by skimming it, that he's comparing sales of violent video games and youth rates of violence, which puts a whole world of confounding variables at play.

More on this, look at the exceprt of that abstract again. It's comparing societal consumption of violent video games and societal violence rates. If it were studying individuals, this study would be more usable for your argument, but it still wouldn't suffice for proof.

Long story short: What the second study in this journal article is saying that even though the sales of violent video games are increasing, the rate of violence is not. There are plenty of other factors that could be affecting this so it is not viable proof, and it's not really evidence either for the argument that video games do not increase violent behaviour.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
Okay, this is what I'm trying to say in the other thread.

Have a look at the last sentence of the abstract:

That study didn't prove anything. If you read study 2, he didn't actually seek to demonstrate a relationship. It seems to me, just by skimming it, that he's comparing sales of violent video games and youth rates of violence, which puts a whole world of confounding variables at play.

sorry, it suggests? yeah, it suggests that video games don't cause people to kill their parents

is that better?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
Sports do the same thing tho

so does anything competitive

all things competitive must be banned

its for the greater good.

lol competitiveness rarely resorts to violence in sports, and there's always a consequence if it does. I'm the most competitive person ever, and I've never thrown a punch at somebody just cause they beat me at something.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Chris, stop being so pedantic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by hurricane0202
lol competitiveness rarely resorts to violence in sports, and there's always a consequence if it does. I'm the most competitive person ever, and I've never thrown a punch at somebody just cause they beat me at something.

People rioted over an ice hockey game

literally

that was a thing
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
sorry, it suggests? yeah, it suggests that video games don't cause people to kill their parents

is that better?

No, it isn't better. It actually doesn't even do that.

From that study:

Data comparing videogame violence consumption to youth violence in society demonstrate an inverse relationship, at least for the years 1996 through 2011 when both sets of data were available. This relationship appears to be remarkably strong. However, it is important to point out that this is not an indication of causality.

The title of the article should have given it away that this isn't really viable evidence.
Quote by chrismendiola

Have a look at...the abstract

i can get down to this

it's all coming back

But those other studies show that games do make people kill their parents?

No?

so we're back to sqaure one then, because nothing can be proven or disproven with 100% certainty so good job lads, we've cracked it. Nothing does anything ever
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 11, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22
But those other studies show that games do make people kill their parents?

No. The other studies provide evidence that observing aggressive behaviour may cause the observers to be more violent.
Quote by chrismendiola
No. The other studies provide evidence that observing aggressive behaviour may cause the observers to be more violent.

but they don't prove it?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Page 1 of 3