I'm new to this forum and hope you guys can help me and give me some advice.

I was recently deciding between buying a Blackstar HT Studio 20 Combo and an Orange Dark Terror Head + 1x12 cabinet (didn't even look at different cabinets at the time, tested the head with an Orange PPC112). I decided to buy the Blackstar because I felt like I would be much more limited with the range of tones that I could get out of the Orange compared to the Blackstar.

However, I absolutely love the sound with the intense gain of the dark terror and am already planning on buying it in the future. So I was wondering, would it be possible to connect the dark terror head to the speaker of the Blackstar combo? I never owned an amp head, only combos so this is new for me (I know you have to match the impedance). Also, if it works, are there any disadvantages compared to buying a separate cabinet for the orange amp?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by ts89 at Apr 12, 2015,
I'm assuming you would just unplug the speaker from the back of the combo and run it to the Dark Terror instead.

That's what the combo looks like with the back off. You can see how the speaker cable is just connecting to the correct impedance output of the amp.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by ts89
Also, if it works, are there any disadvantages compared to buying a separate cabinet for the orange amp?
It will work as tremontiaddict describes.

Though there'd be an advantage in using a good cab - the rocket 50 in that amp is the worse sounding guitar speaker I've listened to, so it'll sound fairly dull whatever you plug into it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Great! I was hoping that it would work that way. Is the cable long enough to put the amp on top and connect it? The cable looks very short.

I never tried the Blackstar head version with another cabinet but I really like the sound of the combo a lot. I obviously don't know though if the sound is even better with the head and a different cabinet. I also really like the sound of the orange cabinet with the dark terror but the cabinet costs $379 (much more than I want to spend on a cabinet) and unfortunately, I have never tried the dark terror with a different cabinet.

Would you recommend to possibly get the blackstar head version with a separate cabinet for better sound? I wouldn't want to spend much more than $200 on a 1x12 cabinet though.
I have the same Blackstar HT-20 combo. The cord should be able to reach the head, I plugged in a Marshall DSL head and it worked fine.
Thanks for all your answers. I'm happy to know that I can buy the Blackstar combo and just a head without a cabinet in the future.
Quote by diabolical
You could just make yourself another cable or buy a dedicated speaker cable, cut and solder one end, no big deal.

I didn't know you could just do that. That makes it easy
just to be clear a speaker cable is not an instrument cable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can relate quite well to this, because I have the Blackstar HT 20 amp as a head and an Orange PPC112.
I can definetely recommend getting the Orange Cab, because a good quality 12" cab (like this one) can sound a lot better than cheap 4x12" cabs. I like the HT 20 sound and it does come out really well out of the Orange PPC112.

If you are planing on getting the dark terror anyway, just get the Orange Cab with it straight away. You'll probably end up buying it in the future and before spending money on something cheaper that you will replace in a couple of years, invest the money in a good quality product and sound.

Just a hint
Hope this helps
Hooper drives the boat chief...
Thank you. I guess I will look at some 1x12 cabinets before I will make a decision. Is there something similar to the sound and quality of the Orange cabs that is cheaper?
i would just go for a 2x12". i love my orange 2x12" IMO they are worth the money.

i would look for a used cab if you can find one. in most cases i find that the speakers make more of a difference than the cab.

if you want custom i would look into avatar, i have one and it is overall pretty nice.

i prefer mesa and orange though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Definitely look at used. I found an orange ppc112 for $220 in near mint condition. It sounds great and you can run it with the combo or stand alone.
I definitely can't do 2x12 because of the price, space, and I feel like it will be too loud. I am looking for an amp to play at home and am already worried about the volume of the HT-20 combo anyway (I live in an apartment).

Unless I can find a good and cheap used cabinet, I will probably go for the combo, it's only $100 more than the head anyway.

I currently do not have any amp or guitar, I used to play for a few years in the past and am just starting again now. So I wouldn't even mind buying a separate good cabinet (like Orange) in a few years if it makes sense. I don't want to spend too much money right now because I am just getting back into playing guitar.