This has been a touchy subject for me lately.. I'm a somewhat versatile guitar player and I use a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive in my band, mostly alt rock.. But I also play a lot of metal and I'm really underwhelmed with the SD-1.. What do you recommend for a good heavy metal pedal that lets individual notes ring out instead of a muddy mess? I've done some research and all I can tell is that most people don't have a clue what the hell they're talking about.. lol
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
well not to be a douche but for starters they don't use marshall MGs. your amp is where the problem lies not the pedal.
Lol welllllll wtf the amp in my signature is geared towards the band.. I'm just looking for a little extra kick? "not to be a douche.." lol I've got other amps.. My Peavey's a good metal amp
Call me Dan

Gear:
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Quote by damirault
Lol welllllll wtf the amp in my signature is geared towards the band.. I'm just looking for a little extra kick? "not to be a douche.." lol I've got other amps.. My Peavey's a good metal amp

not a mind reader dude your peavey isn't listed anywheres so how would i know you have it (or which one since peavey makes plenty of amps)

how do you use the overdrive? do you do the volume at 10 gain at 0-2 thing or use the overdrive with more gain? are you scooping mids?

personally i find that the digitech hardwire cm-2 overdrive works great for metal and if used properly will retain note clarity. it has a very responsive eq setup and has the ability to produce more gain if needed.
A dostortion pedal that sounds great with solid state amps is the MXR Dime Distortion. For me it works well with SS amps, but is not as nice with tube amps. It has a 3 band EQ that is very handy to dial in your tone. Also, it features a mid scoop to achive the Dimebag tone which I never use. This is an 18V pedal and the higher voltage allows for massive gain. At 9 o'clock it is a rock distortion and past 1 o'clock you would start to go into the metal tones. To further enhance the tone, somtimes I place the MXR 10 band EQ post distortion.

It would never sound as good as a nice tube amp, but for a SS amp it makes the amp sound way much better than any other pedal I have tried.
inb4 I get flamed by certain users like the previous time, but following the MXR idea, take a look at the Fullbore Metal. It may not be to everyone's liking because it sounds bright and sharp as **** (and definitely anything but muddy), but I actually tested it with an MG as well and I don't think you can make that amp sound more decently metal with anything ever. The EQ options on it are impressive (you can get everything from a fat chuggy sound to pure chainsaw) + the in-built noise gate is really nice.

Take a look at some demos whether that's what you're looking for, but it's definitely one of the best pedals made for metal out there, especially relative to its price.
There are exceptions that are few and far between but for the most part any pedal that has the word "Metal" in it is a box of fizz and makes your guitar tone sound like a can of angry hornets.

My question is that if your band plays alt rock and the Marshall is for that and you have a Peavey that is good for metal why buy a pedal? Do you need to do metal during your alt show with the Marshall? In that case I'm inclined to agree with monwobobbo and just say get a new amp. Also what sort of Peavey is it?

EDIT: My other suggestion for a pedal though is running a preamp pedal of some sort direct into the FX return of the Marshall. The Uberschall preamp can be found around $200 used. About the same for a Verellen Skyhammer but those are far rarer.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by TheStig1214
There are exceptions that are few and far between but for the most part any pedal that has the word "Metal" in it is a box of fizz and makes your guitar tone sound like a can of angry hornets.

Depends which ones, but a couple I've heard actually sound decent and I'm confused why some bands have such a bad chainsaw type of sound if you can get something fatter and clearer even with relatively cheap pedals. (Even the infamous Metal Zone did not sound that bad for me when it was not EQd like ass.) I had the Fullbore Metal for quite a while before I got a decent amp (and then tried it on more decent amps too) and it definitely got the job done (and it seriously sounds decent even through weak amps), although I ended up deciding I prefer something a bit less sharp for my own tone. Also, "metal tone" is a very broad term in itself, so basically it's a matter of looking up demos and playing them yourself, but a pedal may be a logical solution if you mostly play something softer and can't afford to get a separate expensive high-gain amp for that.

But yeah, I missed an important part: if you say you play a lot of metal, it may be worth investing in an actual metal-oriented amp. Unless you're on a limited budget, it just makes a lot of sense as it will definitely sound better in the end and offer you more tonal options.
Nice! Thanks for the answers everyone... Definitely gonna do some research on those pedals.. If you're wondering about the amp, I don't play metal in a band I just play some on my own so I don't want to spend a lot of money on an amp right now.. Just looking for something to fool around with, been spending too much cash on gear lately lol

As for the Peavey, it's in the jam room at my buddy's house... Got two Marshalls, one there and one home.. I don't really want to carry the amp around I'd rather just carry my pedal board
Call me Dan

Gear:
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Last edited by damirault at Apr 12, 2015,
Let's not forget the metal muff. If you spend time with the eq you can get usable sounds, but if you overdrive it that's where it really shines. Its like a big muff you can palm mute with. Though be weary of distortion pedals in a band settings because in my expierence its very easy to get lost in the mix unless your pedal can produce a ridiculous amount of volume. I have a pocket metal muff and I overdrive it with a bad monkey, does smashing pumpkins wall o fuzz and also can cover some thrash territory, but it really is awesome for solo's. Literally will sustain for 5 minutes. However if you don't have an overdrive I don't recommend it.
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Quote by damirault
Nice! Thanks for the answers everyone... Definitely gonna do some research on those pedals.. If you're wondering about the amp, I don't play metal in a band I just play some on my own so I don't want to spend a lot of money on an amp right now.. Just looking for something to fool around with, been spending too much cash on gear lately lol

As for the Peavey, it's in the jam room at my buddy's house... Got two Marshalls, one there and one home.. I don't really want to carry the amp around I'd rather just carry my pedal board

When I see just something to fool around with Joyo immediately comes to mind. You can get distortion pedals or amp simulators from $30-$70 each so they should be in budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
That Boss SD-1 is a great pedal to boost a heavily driven amp. Very, very underrated. It tightens just as good as any other boost and it can sound more "opened" than, say, a Maxon OD808. Not saying it's better, it's all a matter of taste. My bet is, with your setup, use the drive channel in your amp, boost it with the SD-1 and put some EQ pedal in the FX Loop. Cut a bit around the 400hz and above 4Khz. That's where I would begin.
Agreed! I love the SD-1 into the Marshall's clean channel.. The OD channel is pretty crap though, you might be onto something with the EQ I've got a few 31 band rackmounts i'll try plugging in
Call me Dan

Gear:
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
I always get hate on this pedal but the Digitech Metal Master - For a pedal I love the metal tone, also has a simulated cab output which can provide a nice thick metal sound even if your amp isn't the greatest.
Quote by TheStig1214

If you want a convincing box that does metal into a clean amp, AmpTweaker pedals should work.

But conventional metal tones aren't from pedals into a clean amp. They are from a crunched amp boosted with a drive pedal.

If you can use the Peavey for metal (did you even say what model?) use the SD-1 to boost it to metal territory. Don't scoop your mids. Boost a just-before-saturation setting on the amp to saturation with the pedal.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 13, 2015,